First Start Minimum Coolant in Radiator

Bingster
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

Bingster: Are you just testing the engine for some issue?  Since  you lie in Iowa and you have really cold winters you should plan to put in the Green Anti Frezze solution into the engine block and radiator.

If you are just testing during the next month water should be ok but you will need to drain prior to storing the car for the winter and install AF to protect the car. Should get a -20 Degrees coverage for the car.

Also suggest to put in a bottle of radiator Anti Rust and water pump lubricant to protect the engine block and water distribution tube.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Rick. That's just what I wanted to know.  We turned it over without plugs a couple years ago but lost our good weather and had to abort the mission. I just bought a new battery so we'll fire it up hopefully in about a week and I'd like to be able to go out and start it up when I get the notion over the winter months.

The rust inhibitor and water pump lube are good ideas. Any specific brands?

40 minutes ago, Bingster said:

I'd like to be able to go out and start it up when I get the notion over the winter months.

If you are going to do that then use anti-freeze.  I used to put petcocks with nipples in the block drains as well as one in the radiator so I can drain out the cooling system without making a mess.  But finding one that didn't leak when draining was impossible, so I went with this instead

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2NGJV7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

IMHO, I would want to fill the system & let the engine run and warm up to operating temperature. If possible.

I have been working on my project since 2018 I'm ashamed to say. .... I have ran both ways with a cooling system and for 1-2 years with no radiator installed.

I had smoking issues on the first start days after sitting for 20 years ... then as it warmed up it cleared up and seemed very drive able.

Then with the radiator out and short intermittent starts for a extended period of time while not working on the truck .... it started smoking again, I'm thinking I cant drive this on the road it would be to embarrassing.

Now I have my permanent cooling system installed and let it warm up to operating temps again .... it runs beautiful, puffs a little smoke now & then ... wonder what a long drive would do for it.

You can run a engine short term with no coolant in it, just not to long.

If you want to know the condition of the engine and learn what you have .... you really need to let it warm up and run at normal operating temps to decide the condition of your engine.

With my rebuild I ran it on a test stand with only water in the cooling system. After I was satisfied that all was well I drained it completely until I installed it in the car. I recommend using antifreeze no matter how little you plan on running it. The last thing you want is to forget and leave water in it once it gets cold out. A cracked block will definitely ruin your day. I agree with running it up to operating temperature so you know the cooling system is working properly. It also keeps condensation from forming in the engine.

3 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

It also keeps condensation from forming in the engine.

Actually, to do that, you would need to run it for quite some time. It even says so in the original driver's manual, with illustrations, that if you use it for short trips in cold weather, condensation might form a layer of water at the sump and clog the oil pick-up. I never run stored engines in cold weather, might spin them with the starter to push the oil around, unless it was properly winterized, etc.

Binger when i stated the Old Green AF I was referring to  the same new Green AF for the older engines, Prestone, Zerex so long as it is the GREEn AF not the ORANGE, or YELLOW ot for IMPORT CARS that is found at Walmart.

Rich

I've read-up on different AF types, a while ago. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that you can use anything as long as you change it as directed, and as long as it is compatible with your block/radiator/seals material. For example, the pink European G12 will probably work fine, but it is expensive and probably unnecessary if the regular green coolant will work just as well for the specified time period. I have green in the car right now, and am planning to keep it :)

Also, the concentrated coolant + distilled water from the grocery store is usually cheaper than the 50/50 mix.

Okay, so what have I learned here?  I'll fill the radiator for the first few starts with Prestone antifreeze, and when the weather turns, drain the radiator or keep it in over the winter months?  This will probably be the last time the car will be started for quite some time. We are selling the house.

• Solution

your typical green AF is good for around 3 years when it has been installed in your engine block. Also read the instructions on the back of the bottle.. Binster put the AF in the block and keep it inthe block over the winter. It will last for a long time.

Rich