Voltage Reducer

Labrauer

My 48 Plymouth has been converted to 12 volt from 6 volts and I know a lot of people on here have done the same thing. I would like to listen to the radio again while driving around town and the highways. In doing so and knowing the radio is run on the 6 volt power has anyone installed a voltage reducer so that the radio will still be able to play. If anyone has done this can you tell me how it is done and what voltage reducer you used or what kind of set up you are using. My radio is I believe is the 802 model. 

I think you'll find the radio is polarity sensitive.   Assuming your 12v conversion entailed a switch to negative ground something other than a voltage drop is needed.   Maybe someone has found a solution, but I don't recall a product that will do that.

I'm with Ken .... never heard of a solution other then sending your radio off to be rebuilt with all new modern components.

Looks stock, but is modern.

One regret I have going to 12 volt is losing the original radio. I figure that is ok considering all the other benefits I will get from 12 volts .... All a matter of opinion though.

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

One regret I have going to 12 volt is losing the original radio. I figure that is ok considering all the other benefits I will get from 12 volts .... All a matter of opinion though.

I am surprised your truck had a radio, they were usually very bare bones.

Just now, Sniper said:

am surprised your truck had a radio, they were usually very bare bones.

Mine did not have a radio .... I did buy one for it a few years ago ..... Then decided to go 12 volt.

Now I'm not decided if I will install it non working & just for looks .... or just pass it on.

Thing about my truck is it's special  ???

The serial # ends with a X, that means it is a 1949 truck that was built for Dealers to put on the show room floor to display next years model. 1950 .... was a lot of changes.

I have the air ride seat, wing windows with the chrome strip attached to the door windows, the low side bed for delivery trucks. There is no question it is a 1949 ....I have the 3 on the tree & E-brake under the dash .... A 1950 engine/trans  ..... Just a floor model too show off next years trucks .... Not special, just rare. ..... It did not come with a radio.

They did not think in 1949 that a radio was a worthy option in a truck to include in a floor model.

Polarity wise, there could be two things in the radio that are problematic. The filter capacitors care about it; they could be rewired. The other thing is the vibrator. I don't think the original mechanical points units care about polarity, but if you have one of the newer solid state replacement units, they certainly would. Now, the voltage is another thing. Certainly doable, with a big enough resistor of some sort, but it's going to draw a lot of current/put out a lot of heat. I know enough to cause trouble :) But one of the better radio guys out there could make it work, including ways to preserve (most) of the inner workings, if desired.

Forgive my electronic ignorance (I studied it as part of a tafe course 20 yrs ago) but couldn't you use a buck converter to create a -6v terminal and then plug that into the radio's -ve input creating a 6v potential difference with a positive earth?

Well guys I'm in Tennessee now now and have limited internet here like hit and miss but this would be for my 48 plymouth coupe. I have seen where a guy will convert the 6 volt radio to 12 volts and puts in the solid state components and can even make it so you can change your phone and have m3 player on it but unfortunately for me the price is pretty steep so I was looking for something that would make the radio play without robbing a bank to pay for it. And for all concerned I have converted to 12 volts. Anyway thanks for all the replies and great comments