P23 Turn Signal Troubleshooting

Wood and Steel
Go to solution Solved by Wood and Steel,

I'm having trouble traking down an issue with what I think are the stock turn signals on my '51. The car sat for a couple of years, but they were working fine before it sat. Right now the respective rear light comes on when I flip the switch, but they don't blink. The front lights aren't lighting at all. The indicator light on the dash isn't lighting up either, but oddly enough, the light around the key comes on when I flip the switch. 

The ground checks good on all of them. I  have the wiring schematic for the car, but I'm not sure what controls the blinking, or how to test it. Is this a common issue that develops from sitting?

My thought would be the flasher not making good contact or test the wires for a brake somewhere between the front dash and the rear light. I have also experienced sometimes not knowing it, if strands of your wire are missing (another words 12 strand wire with just 5 or 6 strands connected on a post there will not be enough power coming out.) On my 48 Plymouth I had the flasher go bad and also when one light wasn't working the ground wasn't grounded good enough like I assumed it was. I'm also assuming the car is still 6 volt. I have found that when a car sits up any length of time no matter how it was mechanically before the storage nothing seems to work the same. Dirt, corrosion, connections, animals you name it can do many different things to an electrical system.   

I had the same issue on the 54, it came down to bad contacts in indicator itself I disassembled and cleaned the contacts and now work like they should. Of course this was after hours of checking, cleaning, replacing all the bulbs, and doing all of the above.

I doubt if it's the flasher if the rear lights light up.  That would indicate power in and out of the flasher.  With the front lights not lighting, there isn't enough load the make the flasher work.  Check for power at the font lights.  If none look for connections in the harness that may have corrosion or are loose.  Probably in the switch itself as moparfun suggested.

Edited by Dave72dt
spell check and grammar

Not too tough to remove and check out/clean the turn signal switch.

20230114_155931_rDJFnj6t41.jpeg

20230114_155715_wbwOa3Ap0L.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...