Rear end

Davidmccabe

Mine is a range of years 1946-56. It has Fords, Chevys, Dodges, etc.     Probably would be the same for yours except maybe pre 40s to 50s. NOT the Foreign manual they have on Ebay. Probably this one but would try to get it cheaper.  My car book has truck parts even though it says just cars on cover.  HOLLANDER INTERCHANGE PARTS MANUAL BOOK HOLANDER 1920-1948 CATALOGUE FINDER | eBay

10 gears now? (2) speed rear or an overdrive? Guessing this is a two ton or bigger? A local friend of mine just installed a “brownie” 1 over, 1 under, and the direct. We went for a ride to give it a try early in the week and it gained 10mph empty on the flat road. Just more shifting on the hills and a lot more tranny noise. The highest ratio gear would be 5:11 and I would think the motor would need to be warm for any benefit.

disregard my reply, I was thinking 5speed truck, not pickup.

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

The quickest easiest way to determine what donor car has the ratio you want is to go to oldmoparts.com and look at the range of mopars that use the same 3rd member gasket. Then google the question “what final drive ratio does a 1956 DeSoto have?” Or something like that. Then go to ebay and search 1956 Desoto rear axle. I found 4 candidates in 5 minutes and all you had to do is ask if the car had an automatic. BTW I was looking for a 3.54 to 1 ratio.

Is he wanting a ring & pinion gear set or an entire housing and contents?  If the gear set wouldn't it have to match up with the pinion bearings. Like on mine the front and rear pinion bearings are 37-1950 various cars. Gasket is up to 1962

On 12/11/2021 at 11:48 PM, Loren said:

The quickest easiest way to determine what donor car has the ratio you want is to go to oldmoparts.com and look at the range of mopars that use the same 3rd member gasket. Then google the question “what final drive ratio does a 1956 DeSoto have?” Or something like that. Then go to ebay and search 1956 Desoto rear axle. I found 4 candidates in 5 minutes and all you had to do is ask if the car had an automatic. BTW I was looking for a 3.54 to 1 ratio.

I'm sure not seeing any 3.54 rear ends for my 1948 Dodge D24 fluid drive on Ebay. Mine has a 3.9.  Looked thru the range of cars listed by Hollander.  I'll probably be into it in a few weeks since it's leaking like a sieve..  

On 12/11/2021 at 8:08 PM, Davidmccabe said:

I have a1941 plymouthtruck  I am looking to speed it up it has 10 gears I would like to buy 355 or 373 it has 11 bolt 10 spline

Punctuation is your friend.  Or maybe more specific words. Symbols and decimal points matter.

Are you saying it has a 10" (10 inch) ring gear?  And you'd like to install a 3.55:1 or 3.73:1 gear set?