Bed to frame fitting

Hi, I am about to fit the rear bed to the frame, 1954 C-1-B6 , is there any spacers or does it just sit on the rubber pads which are about 1/4" thick ? Any pictures of this area would be most helpful. Thanks, Dave......Norfolk UK

516.jpg

Edited by thrashfit

Hi, looks good. Somewhere in this forum is detailed instructions about  re-decking the bed as well as installing it. I dont recall exactly where, took me considerable time to locate it. 
one big drawback to this forum. 
I will give it a go and see if i can locate it. 

24 minutes ago, thrashfit said:

Reading through the bed refurbishment I cant see if there is any packing between bed cross members and the chassis. I have rubber to set it on but is there anything else there ? 

They are mushroom shaped pieces, that go in the 3/4” holes in the frame. 
Vicsdodgegarage.com shows them. I just ordered a set for myself. 

Cheers Tooljunkie, Thats what I needed to know. I have some 1/4" thick rubber pads that I will use. They will do the job ok. I have purchased several parts from America , like Rock Auto and DCM , but do I get hit with import customs tax. I will keep an eye on Vics Dodge garage and may use them when this virus thing is over. Just wish I had a bigger garage to work in. Dave

3 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

I just used 1/2" thick rubber pads all around on my 55. They will squish down a bit.

What did you use to keep them in place? Or do the box bolts go through them?

i had nothing when i removed box. 

The box bolts go thru them. I used a stable mat from tractor supply and cut out the pieces I needed. Mine didnt have any rubbers either. I just looked at what others did and made my own.

Not the best picture, but here is one the rear mounts.

264798139_RearLowerFirstAttempt.jpg.80c9d8d6e87d24dcd8151f0a2d5466dd.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

Cheers 59bisquik. I have made my own rubber mounts but I think doubling up to 1/2" thick will do the business. Be good to get the truck out of the garage and let it see daylight when this virus is over. Thanks for all your help lads...Dave. Norwich UK. ........Its coming along slowly.....

449.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tinlizzy, I did not need patterns for my wood floor as there is no fender cut outs, its all straight wood. just had to work out the gaps to allow for hold down strips and bolt clearance. there must be a pattern somewhere on this site. ..........Dave

The 1/2 ton trucks have straight sides as it is a narrower bed. 3/4 and 1 ton beds have fender wells. 

I had some pieces of plywood that I used to make up templates. I marked them out and trimmed them to fit before using them as templates. I even used them as temporary bed installation while I was getting the real wood ready., 

The bolts I used for the steel bed strips were coach bolts, they have the square under the dome head. Not sure what they are called in the USA. The bed strips have a square hole and these fitted great.

10 minutes ago, thrashfit said:

The bolts I used for the steel bed strips were coach bolts, they have the square under the dome head. Not sure what they are called in the USA. The bed strips have a square hole and these fitted great.

Carriage bolts on the other side of the Atlantic.  Coach/Carriage another difference in English and English.

• 3 weeks later...

how thick are the hockey pucks?  I am getting ready to remount my radiator frame on the front of my 48 pilothouse and wondered about putting some type of cushion on the base.  I didn't have anything there when I disassembled the front end and the book doesn't show any type of anti-squeak spacer being added?

Hi tinlizzy, I am still building my truck , when I fitted the radiator frame I bolted it straight onto the chassis. I could not find any rubber mounts or the like. Mind you don't raise the frame too high and throw the front panel and bonnet alignment out...….Cheers, Dave