1942 Chrysler TC Wagon

T120

I was at a Show and Shine in southern Alberta and took a few pictures of this car.First one of this model I've seen up close. The car was purchased

in 1968 by the present owner.It was in this condition when he bought it, although he has refinished the wood. Nice to see something different...

post-296-0-64569500-1439163851_thumb.jpg  post-296-0-49149200-1439163907_thumb.jpg  post-296-0-59330800-1439163975_thumb.jpg  post-296-0-31006300-1439164028_thumb.jpgpost-296-0-45384700-1439164079_thumb.jpg 

• Like 2

I believe that the metal roof is from a long wheelbase sedan, which contributes to the sharp fall-off of the trunk doors.  This also makes the rear quarter windows longer than on a standard sedan.  Those clever Mopar people.  

Notice also the rear bumper and dust panel.  The center of the bumper is moved back, so the the trunk doors will clear the bumper guard. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
  • Like 1

9 passenger?  Some interior shots would be fascinating.  Maybe full second seat and small third jump seat, like the Suburban that came after the war?  Or second row jump seats, like the limos?

I notice that the front doors have roll-up windows and pivoting vent wings, like the sedans, but the back doors have two-piece horizontal sliding windows.  Wood station wagon construction.  

The rear quarter windows seem to have the typical vent wings (typical for sedans?), each behind a fixed glass panel.  Ingenuity again. 

There are at least 15 registered in the now gone Town and Country registery.

So I'm sure there are a few more today.

• Like 1

Bob Porter isn't keeping it up anymore?

I think maybe the TCOR, (Town and Country owners Registry) Bob Porter and John Slusar and the national Woodie Club might be somewhat holding together menbers and info for the few T&C owners  that find this information.

The TCOR was a great club. Belonged to it for years.

As I recall, at the '07 WPC meet, where I first met Bob Porter, was the last official Hurrah for the T&C group. The WPC may not be the holder of the registry. That was my first WPC meet and there were over 15 Town & Country's there, including that '42 Barrel Back. It was AWESOME!!

Got Wood?

P7200123.jpg

P7200215.jpg

• Like 2

There are at least 15 registered in the now gone Town and Country registery.

So I'm sure there are a few more today.

Good to know a few survivors are out there...Needless to say,It would be a very difficult and expensive task to properly restore one of these.

Yes they are expensive to restore but a very valuable woodie @ $200,000 to over $400,000.

So these cars are going to be found and restored as they are worth so much.

They are very unique to say the least.

I spotted this in the local paper this morning.  Auction Sale in the Clearwater - St Cloud, MN area.

1949 Chrysler Woody Convertible - Straight 8

http://www.aasnessauctioneers.com/auction/257914/clearwater-st-cloud-area-auction/

They also have a 54 Corvette and a 78 Caddie Barritz

There was a T & C convertible which sat in one bay of a service station in Springfield, MO for many years.
I always thought I should stop and look it over, but of course I never did.  Now it's gone.....to who knows where.

Would be interesting to know it's fate after all those years.