SPESSART PILS GIFT PACK

48ply1stcar

My lieutenant and I were station in Wertheim Germany from 1985 until 1988.  He and his wife are visiting my house in Minneapolis MN from Warren OH for the 4th of July weekend.

I would like to give him a gift pack of Spessart Pils his favorite German beer during his visit.

I emailed the Spessart brewery, but have not received a response.  I even apologized for sending it in English.

I would like to asked anyone in Germany to ask if it is possible to have this sent to the US.

Link to gift pack -  http://www.spessart-specht.de/n_startf.php

Can't help, but I will say that I had a funny experience with Swiss chocolates and it flopped bigtime.

This Swiss gal who was visiting us for dinner ignored the Lindt and Teuscher chocolates I'd bought for dessert, and ate up all the half-as-expensive Ghirardelli chocolates from 'Frisco.

My feeling now is that when people travel they don't normally want "home-away-from-home" and they don't want the familiar: they want to try out the local stuff.

I remember going to a western college and all the east-coast kids there never drank Bud or Lucky, or Miller or Pabst nor any east-coast beers.

They drank Coors, and would smuggle cases of it home in their cars.

Funny life huh?

Funny indeed.  I travel quite a bit for Uncle Sam.  I always go for the "local flavor" when I go to new places, especially local breweries since the brewpub thing started popping up.

I tried a Moxie (pop/cola/soda/coke?) here in Maine a couple days ago after being warned not to, which of course to me means I was obliged to.  I'll have one again, but it probably won't be my first choice.  As the label says, its "different".  I have the bottle prominently displayed on my desk now, seems to be a badge of honor....

Try your local beer distributor.  If they're worth their salt they can get some if its exported.  If your close to a big city there in MN you may be able to find a specialty beer store that will either have it, or can get it.  If Spessart doesn't export, it will be really hard to get.  Germany has pretty strict rules about that stuff.  I've tried to get Kreuzberg beer from Bischofsheim, but it isn't brewed for export, so I can't get it.  (The beer the Monks used to brew themselves at the Kloster Kreuzberg, but now its brewed in Bischofsheim with the original recipe, you'uns that have been to northern Bavaria in Germany may remember it, its probably the best beer I've ever had.)

(oops - "Pay no attention to the man behind the profile", I need to update that.) 

Ok - updated now...

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Do they still make Moxie?   :huh:

I haven't seen a Moxie since maybe 1965.

My wife and I visited Maine in 2003 and decided to try Moxie. We could only find a six pack available in the small store in the town we were staying in. Between the two of us we managed to drink about 1/4 of one can. The rest, 5 3/4 cans worth, went in the trash.

Per the information I found if you don't drink MOXIE your brain will go soft. Hate it when that happens. I wonder if you overdose and your brain goes hard for over 4 hours must you call your doctor post haste?

Moxie originated as a patent medicine called "Moxie Nerve Food",[2] which was created around 1876 by Dr. Augustin Thompson in Lowell, Massachusetts.[4] Thompson claimed that it contained an extract from a rare, unnamed South American plant. Moxie, he claimed, was especially effective against "paralysis, softening of the brain, nervousness, and insomnia".[2]

Now this is a rabbit hole.  From Spessart Pils to Moxie, by way of Swiss chocolates.  I'd seen old advertisements for Moxie in antique shops, but didn't think they made it any more, either.  To me it tastes kind of like Underberg, a German bitter.  Which loosely (very loosely) comes back to Spessart.  Too much Spessart the night before could lead to Underberg the morning after.  It made you feel better regardless of how you "reacted" to it.  It either settles your stomach, or makes you hurl - which settles your stomach. 

post-285-0-75170100-1431081716_thumb.jpg

. . . Too much Spessart the night before could lead to Underberg the morning after . . . 

I'm sure I've experienced that syndrome more than once myself . . .  :(