49 Chrysler "hanger" find progress report

bobostski

Just bought this 49 Windsor.  I'm trying to figure out where to put the new hole in my head.I'ts been in this hanger for over 20 years and was last tagged in 1985. It is as clean and straight as it looks in the picture. The owner Dave, had the car repainted ( he stripped all the trim off and removed the fenders) and new seat upholstery ( he used the original English wool Broadcloth) done in the 70's.

The car is all; stock, 98K miles. It was custom ordered by the first owner in Ill. He had Chrysler paint it Noel Green Metallic, a color that was reserved for convertibles only  .Dave bought the car from the original owner  with  23K miles in 1964 making me the 3rd owner. There is absolutely  zero rust on this car except for some surface rust underneath the car.. The original owner never drove the car in the winter, Dave took the car to Oklahoma and then to Texas. 

Dave doesn't remember the last time the car was stared. The engine does turn over. It needs all the work a car that has been sitting need, brakes, fuel system cleaned out, hoses and fluids changed,  I'm going to detail the engine compartment while I have it apart. I have the front axles done. Did not rebuild the suspension, just painted it and put on new shocks.

The door panels are original and the drivers is the only one that is worn.This car looks so big compared to my 50 Wayfarer. I can't wait to wake it up again.So far everything is coming apart easily but I haven't tried the rear hubs yet. 

Did I mention Dave lost the keys? I took out one of the door locks yesterday to get it re-keyed and hope it's the same as the ignition.

post-1502-0-17977100-1428252497_thumb.jpg

post-1502-0-81868900-1428253687_thumb.jpgpost-1502-0-42637900-1428252560_thumb.jpgpost-1502-0-38597100-1428252596_thumb.jpgpost-1502-0-60520900-1428252734_thumb.jpg

post-1502-0-18192500-1428253194_thumb.jpg 

Edited by bobostski
  • Like 3

Nice car, nice dash and pads!    Even has the shift knob ferrule!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Nice.  Now it makes you wonder.......how many other guys have an old car stashed in their hangar?

I sent a photo of this car and asked my cousin Dave who lives in Dallas and hangs out at airport hangers if he had ever seen it. Here is his response.

I have not. There are several hangars on my field at Grand Prairie with
an older car in them. Things like an old Renault, an Austin Healey, etc.
My buddy Norm who is in his mid 80's has a 66 or 67 Mustang in one of his
2 hangars and I suspect he is going to have to be selling it soon. He was
diagnosed with early dementia and has been slowly cleaning out both
of his hangars.

Dave

The 1949-52 chryslers door key should be the same as the ignition key. My 1950 chryslers are this way.

1949-53 chrysler dashes are hard to work under! Have worked on many.

It's pretty amazing what vehicles are still stashed in all sorts of places around the country.  How about some of those

big old houses with basement garages?   And in the back room or warehouse area of some businesses?  I know of

a 63 split window Corvette covered up in the warehouse area of a business.  A low mileage car.   

I love the car and I also love the instrument panels in those old Chrysler cars with the round spedo that curves around the steering culmon. Great find and I hope you enjoy it as much as would if I had found it before you did. HA Ha

Edited by Labrauer

I now have an ignition key. Took the door lock off, took it to a locksmith and had her make a key. The key for the door and ignition is the same.  Cost $65 but better than getting under the dash and taking the switch out. I am one happy camper. 

The plastic emblem in the hood ornament was faded and had surface cracks. The car came with an extra steering wheel emblem.With a little modification it fit right in. It's not the same but looks great. There's an original one on Ebay for $850. For that price, I'll live with what I got. 

FS Fish66- No not this one. He won't deal with anything that has 4 doors. I did get my 50 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout from Gas Monkey. I was on the show. "Flying Flu-tog-Wicked Wayfarer" Nov. 2013 .  Here is a picture of the filming. That my 55 Dodge in the background.

post-1502-0-89821600-1428556748_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'ts a glorious day as I got the engine running today. It sounds real good, but smokes like a chiming. Hope the smoking improves as the engine is ran.I still haven't driven it as I have to clean the gas tank and repair the back brakes. Hope to get it on the road this next weekend. It took so long to get it running because I decided to detail the engine compartment. I did a compression test before I got it started.3 cylinders were about 60 and 3 were about 80. I was glad none of the valves were stuck.

Under the hood as it is beautiful now. I took apart, cleaned, painted and  polished everything. I've heard this referred  to as a spray can restoration but it looks great.

So the radio works , all the light except the blinkers, looks like all the gauges work and the horns work..

Next big challenge  is getting the back hubs off and seeing if the transmission works. I'll update on that as I get to it.

I have all summer to work on it as I've been laid off from my job. My boss will hire me back next fall and has decided to pay me my regular salary rather than go on unemployment all summer. it's a good deal. This is the 13th summer this has happened.

post-1502-0-74296100-1433823822_thumb.jpgpost-1502-0-36747500-1433823871_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I started working on the back half of the car. Not so easy. I got he gas tank out and has a hole in the upper corner the size of a silver dollar.  So I ordered a new one.

Tried to get the rear hubs off. It's going to be a battle.