state of emergency

MartinsB3B

it is often not the fact it is snowing..it concerns the ability of the state to make the road safe..some section of the country cannot deal with a fast-deep accumulation due to lack of snow removal equipment...we would shut down here and ensure no buses are running if ONLY FORCASTED snow for the same reason stated above..now for areas that annually get large amount of snowfall..yeah this would be a joke to them...

• Like 1

a couple of years ago we were getting snow what seemed like everyday so I took vacation said to the wife lets go visit the daughter and son-in-law who were stationed at fort stewart to get a break from the snow well as luck would have it ..it was going to snow for the first time in hinesville ga in many years 3 inches were forecast everything was closing early or shutting down til the storm was over and I thought wow we went to get some stuff at the store and the girl working the register ask if we were ready for the big storm I laughed at her and she said excuse me sir some of us have never seen snow so I showed her a picture of my dog in the yard surrounded by the 18 inches of snow we were getting away from back in pa and I walked away going wow I never thought about that then I seen firsthand as tim stated they did not have the means to deal with it I think it was 3 days until it melted and things got back to normal so I think it was best that they did shut everything down

In the '70's I got caught in a snow storm in South Carolina.  They got 13" and closed everything so I had to stay in a hotel overnight.  The next day I took secondary roads and actually saw a DPW guy shoveling the road into the back of a dump truck!  The snow in the truck was melting as fast as he shoveled it in.  I rolled the window down and asked the guy why he didn't just push the snow over to the shoulder - he said "gee, that's a good idea".  

I was traveling on the Glenn highway north of Anchorage several years ago following a snow plow at about 45-50 MPH.  It was a huge long wheelbase truck with what looked like an 8 foot plow on the front and another on the right side that was throwing snow 15 to 20 feet up and away. It was fascinating to watch.  No, I wasn't driving, I was white-knuckling in passenger seat of my son's Jeep.  Those people don't even talk about how much snow there is, they just get up and go to work, get on with life.  

• Like 2

As we say in Minnesota, we call that Thursday!  I lived in Arkansas for two years, however, I know first-hand how a little snow can affect things when a large group of people are unfamiliar with snow.  Some things were frustrating, such as having snow plows but refusing to have them out after 5 PM (didn't want to adjust schedules or pay overtime), and then not starting to plow until another entire day had passed.  They had the tools; they just chose not to use them!  NW Iowa wasn't much better, however.  Iowedes should have a better understanding of how to manage snow removal.  If it snowed Friday night, the county wasn't going to do anything more on county roads than salt the intersections and curves until Monday.  BTW, Minnesota gets a bad rap for high taxes, but Iowa's even worse with less return for the money spent.

when I was a kid we called it sleigh season..the roads were dirt..it was a fairly good size mountain you had to drive down to get into the valley we lived in.  school bus did not run and it was approx. two weeks before the cinder truck made it to our part of the county with lace the tire paths and kill the sledding.  We would walk to the top of the hill pulling our sled for that awesome 1 mile ride to the bottom..if you were lucky you would always get a ride to the top if you had you length of rope to tie to the buys bumper..the neighbors would stop to be sure you could tie on...we only had one killer curve..if you met a vehicle..a snow drift was instant brakes..lots of snow down the back of your neck and coat though...well that era of life has long been gone..

Where in east nc are you? I know there are two forum members in the area right now' maybe a P 15 d 24 get together can be arranged.

Greenville NC. I checked the member map to see if anyone was close but didn't see anyone.  Right now the (9 am) the roads are still solid ice)

I'm 20 miles east of you in Chocowinity NC. However, I don't think that I can get out of my driveway let alone get to Greenville. You've probably noticed that only the major roads are treated at all, everywhere else is just glaze ice.....it should melt in a day or two, or three!

We got up and went to Washington NC, drove by the entrance to Busy Coupes area at 55mph There were some places where lines and wires are down, but pretty much a non event based on what we are used to. Gerald send me a PM if you are interested in grabbing some BBQ or something.

chains?..Chains, we do need no stinking chains.... Heck I only put it in all wheel drive for about 1/4 mile, and that was to get up an enplowed, untreated hill into a residential area.

• Like 1

I was traveling on the Glenn highway north of Anchorage several years ago following a snow plow at about 45-50 MPH.  It was a huge long wheelbase truck with what looked like an 8 foot plow on the front and another on the right side that was throwing snow 15 to 20 feet up and away. It was fascinating to watch.  No, I wasn't driving, I was white-knuckling in passenger seat of my son's Jeep.  Those people don't even talk about how much snow there is, they just get up and go to work, get on with life.  

My ride this time of year, I operate both the plow and wing, and oh yes, we had fling some snow, but we never go 45-50 mph,  more like 25-30 mph which at times  can be too fast

post-668-0-71633300-1424207186_thumb.jpg

The speed was what impressed me since I thought that we were going way too fast just for normal travel. The moose don't look both ways before crossing and it was still pretty icy under the snow. It just showed me that they really know how to handle snow!

No Moose, but we have our share of deer.  I took this photo out the window on the Oshkosh about a month ago.

What did you think of Alaska?  I was in Anchorage for just over a month in early 1970, you could still see remnants of the earth quake from 1964.  The rest of 1970 was spent in a Radar Site 200 miles north of the Artic Circle. 

post-668-0-48876300-1424216242_thumb.jpg