Geographical Distance of So Cal Pilot-House Trucks

RodFru2u

I am wondering how many road worthy Pilot House in the Southern California Area are willing to burn gas to meet ? I know there are a few in the Orange County area, San Diego area and Greater LA area. With a full tank ( Fuel Cel for me ) I figure I can get bout 100 miles { AAA Limit } before I run out of bird crumbs and gas.

Last year the car side put out the word of a  Denny's Breakfast get together, and there were a few nice cars and my old beater.  The Truck won FIRST place ( in my mind)  So I know there are better rolling wrecks out there that I would LUV to see.

HankB3B has been a great friend and an AWESOME source of information. His purtty Truck has been a rolling picture of what Detroit  had in mind when they built them and has provided a treasure knowledge  to keep my beast on the the road.

So, anybody want to meet some where ? Central area suggestions? I am going to the MOPAR event in the San Fernando Valley on Oct. 25, I'm not PAYING  $ 25 to see some 2000 plastic junk. Swap Meet is FREE , I might find a gem in the junk that I just gotta have. Hope to see some of your trucks in the So Cal area SOON, Rod

I am just finishing up my truck. Should have been done by now but work keeps getting in the way. ;)

I know of a few in this area. And I have been told there are two right here in Lake Forrest but I have not seen either. There is always Coffee and Cars at the Spectrum on Saturdays and 10 minutes away the World Famous Knowlwoods Burgers at the 5 and Jeffrey. Lots of car clubs meet up there....very retro SoCal burger joint at the old citrus and avocado packing plant. Could be a decent mid-way point if anyone from the San Diego area wants to meet up.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I look forward to meeting you and checking out your truck, I know if I can get Hank  to bring his truck we will have to give a few hours of travel time on surface streets to get from the South Bay to OC. I think it would be a kick to see a few more of these at a gathering, When Hank and I show up at a show, it do draw a crowd.

I understand about work getting in the way of finishing  the current project. The " Hobby" of playing with cars is an expensive one, as I am sure you know. Those of us that take these projects on, have  stories and tails getting to the finish that will be told and repeated many times ( and enjoyed by all ).

We Busted Bloody Knukkle Heads  are a bit twisted that way. Guess that's why I luv it so. We all have been at events where the biggest bank account wins.Most of us have  Been there Seen that, Not going to PAY to do it again. So a FREE gathering of any amount of Vintage Dodge Trucks in Southern California is a BIG DEAL !  LOL   There has NOT been a use in the area for at least 30 years for an old " farm truck". Just let me know where I park , Rod

• Like 1

Rod;

Same here. I know there are a few around here. I don't think the owners participate here ...... but they may be lurkers? :)

I have actually heard reports of 3 in my immediate vicinity including one driven by a lady. Then there is Mike over in Costa Mesa as well as another fellow there that seems to have fallen quiet. I don't know for certain about the guys in San Diego County but there are at least a couple. It would be really cool if we could get 6 or 8 trucks together.

We will have to see what we can do about putting something together. Doesn't have to be where I suggested. That was just an idea....but I do know it  wouldn't cost anything.

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

Hey 1Ton,

Where ya located? If your looking for parts,most are listed in the Classifieds. I know I saw a nice engine and tranny on epay a few days ago. Welcome to the forum, Lots of Great guys and more information in one location about these trucks then any where else.

I'm trying to get one of my trucks up and running.  Looking for a new heart for the truck i recently bought.  I just want to get it on the road!

post what you are looking for in the "Classifieds" section of the board.  More likely to get seen there.

thanks!

Hey 1Ton,

Where ya located? If your looking for parts,most are listed in the Classifieds. I know I saw a nice engine and tranny on epay a few days ago. Welcome to the forum, Lots of Great guys and more information in one location about these trucks then any where else.

I'm in Los Angeles but my trucks are in Baldwin Park. I have a thread looking for motor and trans but no hits yet. I do have a 218 that came out of my other dually but it needs to be completely rebuilt.

post what you are looking for in the "Classifieds" section of the board.  More likely to get seen there.

thanks!

Thanks, saw your fs ad. Ill be looking for some tid bits. So ill be bugging you soon. Im really in need of the motor and trans to get the truck running.

Glad to hear we gotta another Vintage Dodge Truck in L A, I know that sometimes looking at another truck will help figure out how  things go together. If you need a hand or some information, My 1/2 ton B2B is available to you to check out. Or If you are ever in the South Bay ( Torrance ) I am sure we can ( with a call ) get a close look at Hank B3B's Truck. His is as close to perfect and better then they rolled off the line. Hope to hear your truck is running real soon,   Rod

Glad to hear we gotta another Vintage Dodge Truck in L A, I know that sometimes looking at another truck will help figure out how  things go together. If you need a hand or some information, My 1/2 ton B2B is available to you to check out. Or If you are ever in the South Bay ( Torrance ) I am sure we can ( with a call ) get a close look at Hank B3B's Truck. His is as close to perfect and better then they rolled off the line. Hope to hear your truck is running real soon,   Rod

Hey thanks Rod, I really appreciate that.  I'll probably give you a shout just to chew the curd for a while if you're up for it.  When i'm ready I need to see how the bars under the bed get laid out.  I bought a bed awhile back but never got to see how it went together so it's just sitting.  By the way do we have a section on the forum where just the Cali folk post?

Mike

Mike,

Sent you a PM.  There was a discussion about where those bars under the bed go a few days ago. Try a search, Lots of information on this site just have to dig thru all the GREAT posts and pictures. Any more pictures of your project ? This Group of Gentlemen can look at a few pictures and tell you more about your truck then you ever knew even with your hands on it. One of the first things everybody will be wondering, Did ya get a manual fur dat ting ? Chat with you soon & hope to see your Truck in the wind SOON, Rod

Yupp, You got a PROJECT there. The guys here Love long term projects, Lots of questions and answers for all to share and learn. Good Luck with it and the pictures you take now will make a great photo album once completed. Most of all Have Fun with it, Rod

• Like 1

Most definitely Rod. I've been a long time lurker around here. As a matter of fact I had an act on here before but couldn't remember my login name or info for the life of me so I created a new account. There's tons of info on here but you just have to really dig for it. I wonder if we could break down some of these sections into more specific areas to bring all the info into one area.

This 50 truck I hope to get up and running rather quickly. The 48 will definitely be a long long term project.

Finding a " Truck " engine will be a trick. Might be able to find a block and build one from parts, or drop any running flat six from that era. From what I understand our 218's were built for MANY years and used in many different applications. I'll keep my eyes open for one. You might try posting in the " Truck Parts Wanted " part of the Forum. Chat with you soon, Rod

Hey guys, new member here. It's not a Pilot House, but I recently picked up this truck. It's registered as a '40, but I doubt it really is because of the cowl lights. (Couldn't find the number on the frame, and the engine is swapped out with a '50 Dodge 230.) Anyway, I'm a SoCal guy trying to fix up this mickey moused truck and find others to learn from. Seems like I found the right place. (Hope you don't mind me crashing your Pilot House party, I didn't see a new member introduction section, this seemed as good a place as any.)

3kc2iBf.jpg

Hey guys, new member here. It's not a Pilot House, but I recently picked up this truck. It's registered as a '40, but I doubt it really is because of the cowl lights. (Couldn't find the number on the frame, and the engine is swapped out with a '50 Dodge 230.) Anyway, I'm a SoCal guy trying to fix up this mickey moused truck and find others to learn from. Seems like I found the right place. (Hope you don't mind me crashing your Pilot House party, I didn't see a new member introduction section, this seemed as good a place as any.)

3kc2iBf.jpg

Nice looking truck.....neighbor. Looks familiar, did it come from the OC area?

No, I think Trampsteer on here posted a picture or 2 of it at the shop that was working on it....maybe on 1 of his blog entries. I'm in East Long Beach.

3kc2iBf.jpg

Welcome. I agree something is fishy there with the cowl lights. Could be a cab swap or a front clip swap. I've heard/seen it both ways. One other possible sign is the dash. Does the center have ribs all the way down to the knob area or just partially?