the New Year

Plymouthy Adams

rang in the new year with 12 peals of the big bell on the front porch and a sipping of the Sparkling juice ..Happy New Year...east coast

oops..in my zest failed to put this in OT..help me Mr. Moderator...!!!

Don't worry Tim, I reported you....snicker....snicker....Happy New year everyone!

I was sawing logs until the neighbors (having drank too much sparkling juice) started to peal all over the neighborhood with the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, On the Future! — how it tells Of the rapture that impels To the swinging and the ringing Of the bells, bells, bells — Of the bells, bells, bells, bells, Bells, bells, bells — To the rhyming and the chiming of the bells! What a tale of terror, now, their turbulency tells! In the startled ear of night How they scream out their affright! Too much horrified to speak, They can only shriek, shriek,

See Poe for the rest of the story.

Rang in the New Year (awakened from my drowse) to the tune of the neighbor's fireworks.( illegal here, but many imported neighbor's that care not about the law, or anyone else)

To add to that, it was getting cold in the house. The furnace had quit running. 10 degrees outside. I flipped up the transformer, pulled, cleaned, and reinstalled the electronic eye, restarted the furnace, and at this point it is still working. I need a new furnace guy that can properly adjust things, or diagnose the problem so that I get less soot.

We have a wood stove for most of out heating needs, but we are in for a cold week (several nights toward zero, and below) and don't need frozen pipes so the furnace is getting a little work out.

HNY to all

Edited by shel_ny

Max and I played music for a private party at some friends' home (out in the garage/shop building)

which they heated with propane heaters.  Some mood lighting from beer signs and Christmas lights.....

some good food.......some friends.......and you have the start to a hopefully good year.

Edited by BobT-47P15

To follow up the start of a new year our power went to low voltage (63 volts) just as were about to sit down for our New Year's dinner. I cut the power at the main breaker, and we lit the oil lamps.  4 degrees outside and power out for 9 hours. Went across the street to break the ice on the stream, and fetch a pail of water for flushing if needed. All in all not that bad. Nothing like those folks all across the country that have had to endure days and days without power.

at least you have a back up plan.....I have a number of alternate heat sources and also try to keep a emergency supply of food here on hand to get you through...I have a number of oil lamps and I light them quite often just for effect...I have a number of fireplace mantles in this old house and a set of lamps on every one...and emergency gas space heaters setting on the hearths......grew up country.....and thank goodness....still pretty much rural yet today..

To follow up the start of a new year our power went to low voltage (63 volts) just as were about to sit down for our New Year's dinner. I

Low voltage must be a New York State thing. When I lived there I once woke up to a low voltage (53 VOLTS) If I recall. Most every other place I have lived is either full power or no power. Do you get your power from the falls? My house near Buffalo had a 2 position power switch box in the basement next to the breaker box. This switch box was labeled Falls in one position and Genny in the other position. Did not take me long to figure that out.

Low voltage must be a New York State thing. When I lived there I once woke up to a low voltage (53 VOLTS) If I recall. Most every other place I have lived is either full power or no power. Do you get your power from the falls? My house near Buffalo had a 2 position power switch box in the basement next to the breaker box. This switch box was labeled Falls in one position and Genny in the other position. Did not take me long to figure that out.

I have never heard that before either. Here in MN as you said its all or nothin.

only time I have seen low voltage on a drop to the house has been transformer related...helped the power company trouble shoot it on the phone with my volt meter and they using their radio controlled transformers to run up the voltage..after a couple attempts they could not..they sent out a crew to determine that there was a fault in their ground path..where I  live then I had two power meters...one for the house and one for the shop...my friend who worked for the power company at the time I built the shop and connected power ensured that shop and house would be off separate transformers..thus the house was not affected..

Not sure just where our power is sourced. Not sure if any of it comes from Niagara or not. My brother lives about 8 miles from me, and is on "municipal power". Cost is a lot less than where I am.

The reason for the low voltage/outage has yet to be announced/published any place that I can find it. The only thing I have found is a notice at one TV site saying:   "National Grid is reporting that thousands are without power in the town of Webb area, the cause is unknown". 3 days later that is still the status that they show as an "update". Maybe when the little local paper comes out on Tuesday they will have an answer.

As Tim said, probably a transformer related issue. Line snapped from the cold?  Did not see any reports of an accident.

This summer I did have the power company here to work on my meter box. Corrosion/moisture in there was causing problems. Lights flickering/voltage fluctuating intermittently. Depending upon which circuit I checked I was getting spikes or drops. I was partially losing one leg of the 220. That voltage would end up on the other leg. Very serious business if you lose too much or completely lose one leg. At a certain point "more power" is not a good thing.

Power today, but no furnace. Had to reset it last night (was -20 outside), and today woke up to a cool house. Cleaned the electronic eye, and the transformer contacts, but when reset it still will not fire up. Got the wood stove going which will hold us until we hit single digits for more than 2 nights in a row. Looks like more contributions to the furnace guys retirement fund.

If you go to the National Grid website they have very helpful information to see if your power is out, and when restoration is expected. If I had power to do that, I would not need to do that.

On the site. Check our map to see if your outage has already been reported or detected. You can also report an outage or check the status of a previously reported electric outage.

Wednesday while she was on hold for  20-30 minutes attempting to talk to a live person I listened in amusement, as between songs, my wife kept getting the prerecorded message to "go to www.--------- to get information" on power outages. Hello, the power is out. We don't have internet. Cell phone wi-fi is down without power.  

She is one of the hundreds that must call 5 minutes after the power goes out to ask what the problem is, and when it will be resolved

Edited by shel_ny