looks like I'll be pulling my tank sometime

ggdad1951

So I was bored last night and was rolling around under FEF and noticed this below...looks like I probably have a small leak near the top of the fuel outlet....and this was TankRenu'd!   Would explain the faint gas smell after I fill up and park in the garage.  Suffice to say not too happy about it and I'll bet they will no honor their guarantee because I painted silver over their black.  Now the question is when do I pull it?   :(

20131106_063251_zps520c2b62.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

Ahhhhhh.........when it is empty? <_< (need a symbol for sheepish)

That sucks. I had my radiator guy repair and line my tank. So far so good. I have had some real bad experiences with gas tanks. Had a 50 gallon below the deck tank rupture one day while out fishing. Had a 45 minute run back to the harbor that convinced me that there truly is someone watching over us.

Good luck with that.

Jeff

Pull it after you find another one to install in it's place ?  (I wish).  If misery loves company :mad:  I plan to drop my tank soon to fix my sending unit. I can't even tell if my cup is half full or empty.  Good luck in going first and take lots of pictures !

Hank   :)  

And people wonder why the bomb under the seat is going to the melt yard... I'm putting a poly tank in the spare tire well if I can't get the 92 Ranger tank to fit with some crossmember clearancing. Last thing I want under my seat is a 64 year old piece of tin full of gasoline.

Same offer with the other stuff I'm not reusing, whoever needs a stock tank can come get it. Scrap is only 7cents a pound here, so I won't be out all that much.

And people wonder why the bomb under the seat is going to the melt yard... I'm putting a poly tank in the spare tire well if I can't get the 92 Ranger tank to fit with some crossmember clearancing. Last thing I want under my seat is a 64 year old piece of tin full of gasoline.

Same offer with the other stuff I'm not reusing, whoever needs a stock tank can come get it. Scrap is only 7cents a pound here, so I won't be out all that much.

Scruffy you're not thinking about creating a Pilothouse Pinto are you ?  Send me the tank so I can sell it to Mark ?

hank  :D

I'm not worried....if nothing else till I get it dropped and fixed I fill FEF only 1/3 full, for what I do with him that is fine, but I'll prolly siphon it dry this winter and take it back and tell them to fix it for free.

• Like 1

Scruffy you're not thinking about creating a Pilothouse Pinto are you ?  Send me the tank so I can sell it to Mark ?

hank  :D

I think the stock tank on mine is rotted out along the main seam. Too many decades of cattle "effluent" on it when Grandpa retired the truck in 1974. Follwed by 20 years of exposure to cats, skunks, squirrels, rotten potatos (truck bed was filled with sawdust and he stored milk crates of spuds in it), etc while it was in his dirt floored barn.

Even if the tank was flawless marine grade stainles steel or aluminum, it would be getting moved. I don't like in cab/under cab fuel tanks.

Edited by Scruffy49

Isn't there a removable round cover plate / disk under the seat that allows access to the sending unit?   Hey-under the cab floor is a lot safer than what they did in the early 70's and when they put them right behind the seat in the cab.

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

Well that's good news looks like with my ill-routed fuel line I'll be squirming around under there for those two things and my with my trans to bell housing gasket I'm going to try and make it a hat trick.  Any way you look at it ait beats a day in the office.

I really appreciate the help,

hank  :)

I do not like what I learned from this thread. I've got a gas aroma in the house double garage. Been running my hand on fuel lines, etc. all is dry. BUT  the top of my fuel tank had pin holes in it, so I covered them with fiber glass. I'm thinking the fuel has eaten though that fiber glass and is "leaking" when I drive and 'evaporating' when parked.

Removing that tank is not a favorite job. May have to just to confirm the status of that fiber glass. 

Paul, drain it and find a real radiator shop that still does real repairs. They can boil it out, acid dip it, properly solder any pinholes and then bake in a good liner that is ethanol fuel blend proof. I do that pretty frequently with vintage outboard and motorcycle tanks. Worth every penny for hard to replace tanks.

You gotta ask yourself where are the tanks in new trucks? With all the modern safety requirements and crash testing those tanks are still between the frame rails under the back part of the cab and front part of the bed.

I think the stock tank on mine is rotted out along the main seam. Too many decades of cattle "effluent" on it when Grandpa retired the truck in 1974. Follwed by 20 years of exposure to cats, skunks, squirrels, rotten potatos (truck bed was filled with sawdust and he stored milk crates of spuds in it), etc while it was in his dirt floored barn.

Even if the tank was flawless marine grade stainles steel or aluminum, it would be getting moved. I don't like in cab/under cab fuel tanks.

This reminds me of one of the stories people have told me. One fella walked up to me and said "Oh man this truck is so nice, me and all my brothers learned to drive this same truck back on our farm in Indiana. Gosh we worked that truck so hard and one day grandpa said it's worked long enough,  We just dug a big hole one day and buried it.  

Hank  :)

Mark, Is that soft copper you are using for a fuel line?

no it's the Fedhill cupro-nickle stuff, spendy but hand bendable/formable and will NEVER rust.

I do not like what I learned from this thread. I've got a gas aroma in the house double garage. Been running my hand on fuel lines, etc. all is dry. BUT  the top of my fuel tank had pin holes in it, so I covered them with fiber glass. I'm thinking the fuel has eaten though that fiber glass and is "leaking" when I drive and 'evaporating' when parked.

Removing that tank is not a favorite job. May have to just to confirm the status of that fiber glass. 

Try tightening the hose clamp where the fill-up tube meets the gas tank.  My first guess. Not sure but don't think fiberglass is affected by gasoline.

Hank  :)

This was what I found under the dirt that had accumulated thus the rust. So I shined up the area, then covered the entire top of that "shelf" with a fiber glass. I think Hank may have the solution to my aroma. If so, I will make him a grilled cheese sandwich, with cottage cheese, ripe tomato slices, and apple sauce with raisins.  

54PLYOverdrivepullpics005_zps6916c82c.jp

IMG_0890_zpsd8e66348.jpg

Edited by pflaming

I kept watching the fuel lines and couldn't figure it out. Will tighten that connection tomorrow. Questions and answers seem to come in waves. Just now I'm back on body work on the suburban. So it's all work, work, work. One benefit is that my biceps are best they've been in years, but my hands are callused and hard to keep clean.