Repainting P15 hubcaps?

Oldguy48

My P15 hubcaps need freshening up.  The red paint is deteriorated.  Does anyone have a technique they can share on doing it?  I am NOT good with a tiny paint brush. (My late mother was a very accomplished artist, but alas...I don't share her talent.) I would guess that Mother Mopar had a simple way of accomplishing this feat that did not involve an artist with a paint brush.  I tried a search on this forum, but didn't find an answer.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Wayne

I tried several procedures to repaint the red on my hub caps, trunk emblems, etc.. I had the best results using a rattle can with a quick drying enamel in the approapreiate color..

I started off by cleaning the metal surface with lacquer thinner, I then carefully masked the areas that I did not want to paint using the "blue" masking tape..I made no attempt to mask the small raised areas of the sails on the clipper ship..

I sparayed a "tack" coat on the bare metal, let it set for a few minutes, then sparayed a secont coat, allowing it to slightly dry, I then sprayed a third and last coat.

Within a few minutes of spraying the paint, it was almost dry to touch, I pulled the masking tape..Using a clean cotton, lint free rag, which I placed over the end of my finger, I carefully wiped the paint of of the "sail rigging" etc..

The project takes patience and a steady hand... Trial and errow will produce a very satisfactory job..

I tried spraying the entire item and then wiping the excess paint off of the item.. This proved to be very unsatisfactory... I also tried brushing the paint on.. Did not work... A spray can worked best... Bill

a high quality tightly wrapped q-tip is great for detail work on removing the paint..dampen the q-tip..do not soak less you have too much solvent and can cause mess errors..I have been doing spray for larger areas for years...we used to tough up the cragar mags for the Marine Corp guys who were stationed near the house when I worked at the gas station in high school...we used the grease and quick dry Krylon spray paint..they loved it..would get an oil change and ask us to refresh the wheels, station let us keep the wheel money as a tip..we could knock these out in no time flat..then guys had some nice cars for sure...

I've done our D24's hubcaps twice using this method (the southwest's sunshine plays havoc on red). Make sure its clean.  I make a stencil by applying good quality masking tape completely over the emblem. I use a few rows of narrower tape instead of one row of the real wide stuff - probably because that's usually what I have on hand.  Either one shouldn't be an issue when you do the next step - I use a small wooden dowel and outline the edges to make a good seal. Then I use an Xacto knife to trace the emblem's edges. Then I remove the tape from the area to be painted, touch up the edging if needed, mask off the rest of the hubcap with newspaper and spray it with a rattle can (I use Rustoleum's "Radiant Red") using 3-4 very light coats. Takes a bit of patience, but I like the results.  I'd send a photo, but I can't seem to figure out attaching one...

If you have to touch it up a lot Dan next time you make the stencil keep it whole and scan it.  You then can either print it on paper for a mask or have vinyl sticker made.  Remove the inside and presto you have a perfect mask.

If you have to touch it up a lot Dan next time you make the stencil keep it whole and scan it.  You then can either print it on paper for a mask or have vinyl sticker made.  Remove the inside and presto you have a perfect mask.

That would be great for those who have aftermarket wheels with plain hubcaps and want a slightly more original look.  A vinyl sticker of the emblem would be hard to distinguish from an original hubcap unless you were up close.  What a neat idea!  

Guess I'm just old fashioned.....use Testor's red model car paint and one of those little model car brushes. 

A rag with some paint thinner for any boo-boos.  Holds up fairly well, but won't last forever.

Some good ideas above however.

Guess I'm just old fashioned.....use Testor's red model car paint and one of those little model car brushes. 

A rag with some paint thinner for any boo-boos.  Holds up fairly well, but won't last forever.

Ditto. I did the same with all the trim parts that take red as well as the hubcaps.