Rear Axle Keeps Locking Up

I took my '48 B1B up the road the other night, to test out the new fuel tank I installed. I had gone about 1/2 mile and was going slow in 2nd gear when the rear axle locked and stalled the engine. I could drive backwards for a couple feet, then it would again lock. And I could go forward with the same results. Every once in a while it would go a few feet then lock. I finally walked home and loaded the car hauler to bring it home.

Once there, the truck rolled off the trailer a few feet, then locked. I remove the drums to see if something was wrong with the brakes, they were fine. While up on blocks with the wheels removed, I started the engine and put into 1st gear. It ran for quite some time and then locked & stalled. Tried the same thing in reverse and achieved the same results. Any suggestions?

Edited by flathead

I had a similar problem with an IH KB-7.  The problem turned out to be the emergency brake was not fully releasing on the driveshaft.  The owner sold it very cheap, and much to my surprise....... it was a simple fix.  Are there any noises in the rear while running?  When it locks up can you still turn 1 wheel?

I removed all the nuts from the 3rd member, removed the yoke, and notice massive play on the end of the pinion. Remove the oil seal, then the bearing. The bearing seems okay, there must be another bearing at the other end of the pinion. I believe that's the source of the problem. I do not know how to remove the axles so I can pull the 3rd member; anyone?

remove the drums, remove the backing plates/retainer...pull axles..note the shims and protect the for reuse on install..axles moved out a few inches each side and the hog head is cleared for removal

you should have a shop manual for this operation..the adjustments are critical on the third member..

Too bad you are so far away. My truck came with me from WA to TN a couple years ago, I'd have given you the factory rear end. I'm swapping to a modern rear axle assembly. It is still under the truck, haven't had time/money/ambition to pull my donor axle and do the swap. Maybe Kevin down in Vancouver has a spare he'd let go reasonably...

Do you have a service manual for your truck? If not you should get one as well as a parts manual. The manual should give you disassembly procedures.

I do not have a manual yet. But everything I read says to "slide the axles out" - but how?

remove the drums, remove the backing plates/retainer...pull axles..note the shims and protect the for reuse on install..axles moved out a few inches each side and the hog head is cleared for removal

you should have a shop manual for this operation..the adjustments are critical on the third member..

I have done all of the above, but what is holding the axles in?

Too bad you are so far away. My truck came with me from WA to TN a couple years ago, I'd have given you the factory rear end. I'm swapping to a modern rear axle assembly. It is still under the truck, haven't had time/money/ambition to pull my donor axle and do the swap. Maybe Kevin down in Vancouver has a spare he'd let go reasonably...

Thanks, I appreciate your generosity

If all else fails the cherokee axle swap is a great option, plus more economical in some cases.

I am seriously considering this as an option

If you don't have a slide hammer, a short piece of pipe, or some other spacer, between the drum and the axle end plate can be used to create a make-shift puller. (I've even used a few deep sockets over the studs) The pipe/spacer should be large enough to go around the outside of the bearing and just long enough so that when the drum is placed back onto the shaft, you can get the nut started but the drum isn't seating onto the taper. As you tighten the axle nut you will pull the shaft out of the axle. When you get to the point where the drum begins to seat into the shaft taper, pull the drum again and extend your spacer. Or at that point you may be able to pull the axle out anyway.

Merle

• Like 1

I have installed the drum on the axle shaft  and put the axle nut on 4-5 turns and used the drum as a slide hammer to remove axles in the boneyards when no puller was available. Crude but works at times.

I have installed the drum on the axle shaft  and put the axle nut on 4-5 turns and used the drum as a slide hammer to remove axles in the boneyards when no puller was available. Crude but works at times.

That is how I got mine out when I was rebuilding everything. No need for a special purpose tool for single use.

So once the brake back plate is removed, the axles basically have nothing holding them back?

That is true on my '33 and it seems pretty standard for Chrysler product cars for a lot of years. Trucks with full floating axles are different.

Some pics of what the axle looks like with out backing plate and drum on and a couple different ways of pulling the axle shaft .

Bob

I had a similar problem, the pin was coming out that held the spider gears and would hit the pinion and lock up.

then you could back up a bit and it would lock up.

That very well could be it. Once I figure out how the axles come out, I'll know immediately!

I had a similar problem, the pin was coming out that held the spider gears and would hit the pinion and lock up.

then you could back up a bit and it would lock up.

OMG.... I finally have a new MoPar friend! Your'e 25 miles away. :)

Okay so I've decided to replace the rear axle with one from a Cherokee. Any thoughts on what a good ratio would be? The one I was running was 3.90 and the engine was screaming at anything over 40. Can't go too high, as the stock 218 won't pull a tall axle. Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

Okay so I've decided to replace the rear axle with one from a Cherokee. Any thoughts on what a good ratio would be? The one I was running was 3.90 and the engine was screaming at anything over 40. Can't go too high, as the stock 218 won't pull a tall axle. Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

with the above thought on lower ratio..then obviously you also know what higher gear would be sufficient...

I will add a note here....I am not flaming anyone here...just continue your line of thinking in the other direction....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams