D56 Engine

fortunateson

Hi to all.  I just (re)joined.  I have a '42 fargo with a D56 15522C.  Does anyone know the displacement. HP, and Torque?  Secondly, I'm having a real hard time getting it to start.  It would start half decently but last fall it back fired and blew out the muffler.  I believe I have it TDC on #1 (used a wire to check height of piston when air was being expelled from plug hole), the dist. is at 7:00.   I have to check if I'm getting spark from coil, at dist., and and at plug.  The carb is a recently rebuilt B&B.  I have an 8 volt battery.  Any suggestions to get this bugger to start?  I read another thread about the oil pump and its relationship to timing.  Could this be explained.  I've always had trouble getting the truck to start and I wonder if I installed the oil pump incorrectly.  All help VERY appreciated!

Distributor is driven by a slot in the oil pump. It the slot is not properly aligned so the rotor points to 7:00 on the distributor when the engine is TDC on #1 your timing will be off.  FIrst verify what you have. Set up to TDC on #1 (most forward piston) I always pull the front valve cover and visually verify both valves are closed and it you continue to turn the engine over the exhaust valve starts to open. WIth it at TDC on 1, remove the distributor cap and the rotor should be in the 7:00 position. Then look at the cap and make sure the plug wire in the 7:00 tower leads to the #1 on the block. Report back what you find. 

D56 with a C at the end?  The "C" stands for Canadian-built, but the D56 was a 1955  Dodge Coronet 6, which was not built in Canada.  And neither were D56 engines.

If it is a D56, it is the small 23" block with 230.6-cid.  That engine was used in U.S. Plymouths from mid-1954 through to 1959, as well as 1942-59 U.S. 6 cylinder Dodges and 1957-58 DeSoto Firesweep taxis. 

Bill

Toronto, ON

A worn out timing chain will cause this too.  Have you checked it ?

Well guys I haven't had time to get into the engine yet but I will.  The broken timing chain has crossed my mind but I'm hesitant to check it.  As I understand it the whole front sheet metal ("doghouse") will ahve to come off to access the timing chain cover in order to check the chain.  Big job so I'm hoping I can find something a little easier as the cause.  I'm just going to start at square one.  Will post when I've actually done something.  Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by fortunateson

Worn timing chain is easy to check.  Just pull the crank around to TDC.   Pop off the distributor cap and note where the rotor is pointing. Mark the position. Then, revearse crank rotation while watching the rotor.  As soon as it moves, stop and look at the timing marks on the crank.  Take note of the diff between TDC and when you observed the rotor move.  

If the diff is 0-5 degrees, the chain is good.  6 to 9 and it's getting sloppy.  More then that and it will be hard to start and be down on power.  Replace the chain and gears.

You can support the engine at the oil pan or from overhead to disasemble  the front of the engine to access the timing components.

• Like 1

Worn timing chain is easy to check.  Just pull the crank around to TDC.   Pop off the distributor cap and note where the rotor is pointing. Mark the position. Then, revearse crank rotation while watching the rotor.  As soon as it moves, stop and look at the timing marks on the crank.  Take note of the diff between TDC and when you observed the rotor move.  

If the diff is 0-5 degrees, the chain is good.  6 to 9 and it's getting sloppy.  More then that and it will be hard to start and be down on power.  Replace the chain and gears.

You can support the engine at the oil pan or from overhead to disasemble  the front of the engine to access the timing components.

Don,

Thanks for those tips!  I forgot to mention at the beginning that the timing marks don't seem to be visible which aggravates the issue.  Plus the balancer is for the narrow belt.  I have all the needed pulleys to convert to the wider belt and now might be the time to do it.  By the way, does anyone know when they converted to the narrow belt.  And please don't reply with the wisdom that the changed at exactly the time they went to the narrower pulley!

For plymouth I believe teh 1951 model year.

Don,

Thanks for those tips!  I forgot to mention at the beginning that the timing marks don't seem to be visible which aggravates the issue.  Plus the balancer is for the narrow belt.  I have all the needed pulleys to convert to the wider belt and now might be the time to do it.  By the way, does anyone know when they converted to the narrow belt.  And please don't reply with the wisdom that the changed at exactly the time they went to the narrower pulley!

D56 with a C at the end?  The "C" stands for Canadian-built, but the D56 was a 1955  Dodge Coronet 6, which was not built in Canada.  And neither were D56 engines.

If it is a D56, it is the small 23" block with 230.6-cid.  That engine was used in U.S. Plymouths from mid-1954 through to 1959, as well as 1942-59 U.S. 6 cylinder Dodges and 1957-58 DeSoto Firesweep taxis. 

Bill

Toronto, ON

Bill,

I went out and 2x the engine number.  It is a little hard to read so it is one of the following:

D56 15533C or D56  13522C or D36 13322C or D36 a3522C.  It is a 25" block.  So any ideas?

Thanks.

Bill,

I went out and 2x the engine number.  It is a little hard to read so it is one of the following:

D56 15533C or D56  13522C or D36 13322C or D36 a3522C.  It is a 25" block.  So any ideas?

Thanks.

D36-1 3322C  or D36 13322C

The D36 was the 118.5" wheelbase Plymouth-based Dodge.    D36-1 was the DeLuxe and D36-2 was the Special DeLuxe.   Engine was a 218.1-cid engine with 3-3/8" bore and 4-1/16" stroke with the 25" block.  Put out abour 97 bhp.

D36-1 3322C  or D36 13322C

The D36 was the 118.5" wheelbase Plymouth-based Dodge.    D36-1 was the DeLuxe and D36-2 was the Special DeLuxe.   Engine was a 218.1-cid engine with 3-3/8" bore and 4-1/16" stroke with the 25" block.  Put out abour 97 bhp.

Thanks Bill.  What year would that be?