Seat In Pilothouse

Ok question may sound crazy but on 52 seat. I have seatframe installed. And seat back on. And the bottom. I know the bottom is removable for storage under seat. But do they just sit in there or some type. Of hinge or bracket to keep them from sliding forward. ? If so what are u guys using to resolve this. I looked at junkyard and none of the trucks had any brackets on bottom of cushion. Just curious if anything should hold it in.

There should be a pin on each side of the seat frame which fits into a series of holes on the underside of the cushion frame, This acts as an index and keeps the cushion from shifting positions. At first I thought it was kind of odd,,,,,but it works just fine.

Jeff

Learned something, I kept mine down with electrical ties. The pins on my seat have collapsed so they are flush with the frame thus ineffective. The underside of my seat has a plate with two holes in it so one has two positions from which to choose. I gonna try to pry my pins up and see if they will hold again.

Thanks 3Dodge and Jeff. 

Hmm mine has the two holes on bottom and assuming pins bent down also. Looks almost like a hook should go under it. Im going to try that myself pulling up on them to see. If not should be easy fix with welder and small nut and plate.

48/49 at least have a couple hooks that connect the back cushion to slotted brackets on the bottom cushion. The 1954 base cushion I scrounged does not have the slotted tabs and I forgot to transfer them from the scrap 49 base. Moot point, since the 54 cushion turned out to be only suitable as a parts donor (anybody need some springs). Now have to decide if I'll use the car rear seat base cushion or just go for bucket seats (have Taurus SHO and Ranger buckets available to me, free).

Even working right, the seat base can squirm around a bit. But, as long as you have relaxed onto it enough force is kept in the frame to not let it pop out.

• 3 months later...

By now you know I like to reclaim as I 'restore'. These seats are an example of that. 

This is the seat cover that came with the truck. On the bottom seat, the cover was all in strips. So I removed it and found this under neath. So I did the back to match the seat and this is the result. I really should take the cover apart lay it on good material then sew it all up proper, but for now this will do.

Dodgenewseatcovers001_zps1550b4f3.jpg

The underside, now the top side

Dodgenewseatcovers003_zps0a70d68c.jpg

Surprisingly, the padding was still good, so the mice did not find this truck.  

Dodgenewseatcovers002_zps8fc09fce.jpg

After putting these in, I do NOT like the black 'dilla' tape, so that will have to be changed. 

Dodgenewseatcovers004_zps0bcf0e81.jpg

Edited by pflaming

• 8 months later...

There should be a pin on each side of the seat frame which fits into a series of holes on the underside of the cushion frame, This acts as an index and keeps the cushion from shifting positions. At first I thought it was kind of odd,,,,,but it works just fine.

Jeff

does anyone have a photo of the "index" or underside of the bottom of the seat frame? what would the purpose of multiple holes be if the seat adjusts in the center? i noticed blocks of wood in my parts truck to keep the pins from collapsing.... are these needed?

post-6005-0-66233700-1400879081_thumb.jpg

The 3 holes in the bottom of the lower cushion give you 3 cushion positions in relation to the back cushion. Basically longer or shorter leg support. And sometimes if people don't align the pins properly they get mashed down and won't lock in. Someone got creative with the wood shims to eliminate that problem.

• Like 1

wow, what a luxury.... i don't have the original bottom seat but i will be putting some holes for that adjustment! Thanks Merle

Here's my 1950 seat now.... Made sure I wasn't tempted to put it back in the truck!

nice! just got mine back today and I tried something like that but my wife wouldn't go for it :)

post-6005-0-81196400-1400957716_thumb.jpg

(....  "but honey, Mark F. had parts in his living room it on his build....." :D )

OK.......post-6005-0-41966000-1400957855_thumb.jpg

nice! just got mine back today and I tried something like that but my wife wouldn't go for it :)

attachicon.gifbrent phone 2014 003 (480x640).jpg

(....  "but honey, Mark F. had parts in his living room it on his build....." :D )

OK.......attachicon.gifbrent phone 2014 004 (480x640).jpg

and now you've given me an idea....at least for the shop someday!  Next picking day I'm gonna grab seats!

Edited by ggdad1951

and now you've given me an idea....at least for the shop someday!  Next picking day I'm gonna grab seats!

Lets go I already thought of something I should have grabbed.