Rust free 40 plymouth sedan

40plyrod

Of course I think it beats lowering it this way.

A Little too low. It will never ride good!  :(

DJ

here is a pic of a stock ride height 40  ply,,,sitting next to me 40 dodge, 40 dodge has  fat man  dropped up rights and new factory spec  eaton  front coil springs,,it looks  killer but  is almost to low for  the worst roads in america PA,,,

post-938-0-70314800-1443075781_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-30197000-1443075789_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-34444300-1443075814_thumb.jpg

I see your underlying hint of sarcasm....but it is a valid descriptor.    too low would be a term describing the chassis to street clearance and would be a personal interpretation as opposed to a prescribed written standard.  If you have to come to an almost stop to traverse a railroad crossing or a speed bump and approach any entrance of a driveway with a curb at an extreme angle..then in my eyes that is too low..imagine crusing at a very low ground clearance and whamo flat tires...your suspension is now on the roadway, there is no effectual steering..a worse case scenario but one that a pre-establish scrub line will prevent...then to the spectators...riding in a lowered car is cool...the reaction and ultimate crash would ultimately be cool to the spectators..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I pay very close attention to scrub lines and as such nothing is below the level of 4 flat tires. I chose to statically lower the car as opposed to airbags because although I do tend to like cars lower I don't need to be sitting on the frame in the middle of the road if a bag was to fail.  Hot rodding and customizing is always a bit of a compromise (I'm ok with that)

• Like 1

i love the look of a air bagged custom sitting parked dropped,,I considered air bags on the  front, and to m y surprise every one  that had a bagged car that  I talked to said  they ride hard,,maybe they  too much  air I dont  know, but  it would seem the  major benifit would be to have a feeling of  riding on AIR,,,I sure wouldnt  spend the  money to look cool parked,,,

my car  is  dropped almost 3 inches in the  front with  fat man  up rights, new stock factory  spec front coils and 2 ish inch drop in the back with  posies lowering leaf  springs, I  for get  posies  term  he  calls his springs, sit  low enough for me,,

• 4 weeks later...

Back at it again, although home renos have slowed me down a lot and reduced shop activity to early morning before work hours again. Nevertheless I was able to finish modifying the lower A-arms. Because I read somewhere that the A-arms are made of heat treated steel and they don't recommend heating them for repair I figured this also applied to welding the crap out of them which was my first plan so instead I bolted the spring pockets back to the lower side of the A-arms using all grade 8 hardware and also making a 1/4" thick plate to give some added support. That way I used the welder to only tack the plates same as they were from factory and kept the heat from changing the metal. I still don't have a shop manual for this car in my hands (my buddy picked one up for me at a swap meet in Alberta but has yet to send it to me) so the assembly and alignment this time are being done to the specs supplied by Cpt.Fred on his thread linked here.  http://p15-d24.com/topic/37781-rebuilding-a-p10-front-end/  There is a ton of good information there especially if you're working on a '40 Plymouth. Thanks Fred. Here's a few pics of the lower A-arm with the extra supporting plates. 

post-2834-0-45523500-1445915364_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-10961300-1445915381_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-33309100-1445915395_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work!

Looking great, as always! :cool:

Lots of work and thought in those a-arms!

Maybe you can just cut the bump stops down a little,

or use an extra pair of upper stops instead, since they're smaller...

that way you'd gain a little extra travel.

Me i stay with my nose bleeding  tail dragger stance,

just love to follow the nose down the road see where it takes me, hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the weekend mostly cleaning up door window mechanism and painting them but also started making the lower bullnose trim piece. I've been watching for one but I think I've only ever seen one for sale and it was way too much money. Obviously this piece didn't survive well on the 40's, so I decided to see if I could make one out of aluminum. I considered making a couple extras to help fund my build but that idea went quickly out the window as I started sending aluminum scrap to "a better place". I tried at first making a buck out of MDF and hammering one out , a process that has worked well for me in the past, but I couldn't keep the peak crisp. I ended up using my sheet metal brake to create the peak and the sides then using my shrinker to create the curve and finally a pair of pliers to fold the edge down. Here's the pic so far. Still more tweaking and finishing to do before it's ready to be polished but I'm pretty happy with the result. 

1st pic: 1st attempt. . .rejected

2nd pic: the MDF buck that created the rejected part

3rd pic: End profile of how I bent the part on the brake

4-7 pics: various views of final attempt.

post-2834-0-89602200-1447734006_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-57526800-1447734030_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-96899000-1447734097_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-25961500-1447734124_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-17336400-1447734148_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-20120300-1447734170_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-25944400-1447734186_thumb.jpg

• Like 3