What Would You Do bit OT

55 Fargo

Hey all, I am sitting here looking out my front window at my 55 fargo/dodge pickup, and wondering what?

This truck will be used for some work,someplay,and will be driven on this very dusty road I live on.

It may even be driven at times in winter, when not salty and sloppy, probably not a lot, but once in a while.

Here is what I am thinking about, do I get all mechanical in order 1st, or do the general fix-up,on body and paint. She will be getting a fast body prep, some welding,fillers, primer and enamel paint. This will be dones by Me at home,no frame restoring or anything fancy.

Mechanical I need the following , shocks, exhaust, clutch job ,with flywheel machining, rear spring lowering, tie rod ends. This and a few other items.

Money, the road, and few other things will deter me from a real nice resto on this truck.

What would any of you more frugal Guys suggest???

do the mechanical first, otherwise you will take a chance of damaging the outer panels.

Hi Bud, at least the brakes are all new,the more modern rear brakes make a difference too.

In time all will get done to my liking,but will take care of things in a priority basis.......thanx

I am drivin it, just came back from a short drive. It runs very well, but the items I mentioned need attention, as well as body and paint......

Pics take a few minutes back, in front of my Homestead

Edited by Rockwood

It's obviously drivable at this point, so it all comes down to what your priorities are. Maybe you could get some of the body work down now before winter sets in, then get back at the mechanicals over the winter if you can work in a garage. Then finish off any other cosmetic work as it warms up again.

Are any of the mechanical issues urgent? If so I would address them first.

Merle

It's obviously drivable at this point, so it all comes down to what your priorities are. Maybe you could get some of the body work down now before winter sets in, then get back at the mechanicals over the winter if you can work in a garage. Then finish off any other cosmetic work as it warms up again.

Are any of the mechanical issues urgent? If so I would address them first.

Merle

Thats a good idea Merle, and yes have a heated shop, so I am fortunate...

Break it up into smaller projects. Do a mechanical when there's enough money for one and do things that take time but not a lot of money when it isn't. Welding doesn't cost a lot but does take time. Same with beating out dents and the better job you do of that, the less filler is needed. Don't replace the rear shocks until the rear springs are lowered. You may need a shorter shock. I'd do the suspension and steering items first since the brakes have been redone already. It'll make driving it more enjoyable. Then the clutch for reliabilty and then the exhaust

I'd drop the rear end and drive it for awhile to see if that will fit in with how you use the truck. Especially if you live on a rough road. Lowered trucks quite often ride as bad as lifted one ton 4x4s. Figure out if it will work before you get too far into any other phase, you may need to go back to stock. If you only pull a couple leaves out the stock shocks will work for the drop. So you only have to buy one set instead of a short and then stock if you need to go back.

After that, whatever seems to need attention first.

I'd drop the rear end and drive it for awhile to see if that will fit in with how you use the truck. Especially if you live on a rough road. Lowered trucks quite often ride as bad as lifted one ton 4x4s. Figure out if it will work before you get too far into any other phase, you may need to go back to stock. If you only pull a couple leaves out the stock shocks will work for the drop. So you only have to buy one set instead of a short and then stock if you need to go back.

After that, whatever seems to need attention first.

I have 3 inch blocks in the leaf spring equation. Going to remove those, get new shocks,and keep the stock oem springs as they are.

I gotta haul things once in a while, have hauled a yard of sand,and washer and dryer already.....

My truck's stock springs sag so much from 25 years of cattle and firewood that to actually use it again I'll probably need overloads. Although I do have other trucks for heavy work... 69 D100 with 2000# overloads and cattle racks being the big guy right now. C60 if I really need to move something monstrous.

Mine on 15s sits a lot lower than it did on 16s.