Final stage: safety detail and fine tuning Chronology

.... Then run a # 10 black wire from the ampmeter to the regulator, polorize it,...

Isn't there already a large gauge wire from the ammeter to the regulator as part of the stock wiring harness? I would have guessed #8 but maybe #10.

I've never needed to polarize the generator as the residual magnetic field in the iron cores of the field windings has always been enough to self-energize them. Even after sitting on a shelf for 20 years. You should be able to do it by using a jumper to momentarily connect the armature connection on the regulator to the battery connection, shouldn't need to run a separate wire to do that.

I should have explained. I was running the truck in 'hot wire' mode off of a toggle switch. I hadn't run the wire to the reg because I did not have a generator. My schematic asks for a # 10 wire. I'm still off the toggle switch because my ig switch needs attention. My ammeter runs on the negative side, so my generator and regulator and battery are talking to each other and that is reassuring but I may have the wires switched. I'm not getting much light on my instruments. Maybe larger bulbs (I'm six volt).

My parts source said to polarize so I did. It's not a big deal to do.

I converted the 52 to 12v several years ago and used an internally regulated alternator.  I've been replacing or rebuilding the wiring harness in my 49 a piece at a time.  As I recall,  the heavy wire going from the batt post on the alternator through the ammeter is the feed for all of the accessories.   Chrysler ran everything up through the late 70's through the ammmeter (for those vehicles so equipped).  It sometimes ended up being the week link of the system and a modification using a shunt to bypass the guage is shown on another old mopar site.  Paul:  just because your ammeter is reading on the negative side means that it is working.  I just went through this same firedrill with the 49-I had a no charge situation.  I rebuilt and bench tested the generator-it checked out fine, installed it and still had no charge.  I verified this by using a multimeter directly on the battery.  I replaced the wiring from the reg to the generator-still nothing.  The regulator looked fine and still had the cork gasket intact.  Despite a polarizing-still no charge.  I had the regulator I took off the 52 years ago and for the heck of it I swapped it out-voila!   If your panel lights are dim, try removing the fixtures from the back of the guage panel and cleaning up the contacts and the glass part of the bulbs themselves.  You may have a bad ground, or dirty contacts in the switch.  Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Grill progress, earlier pictures show where I started, this is where I have ended. I was told of a new product called 'Rat Wax' (RATWAX.NET). I ordered their product and used it on the grill. Since my grill and truck have been extensively wet sanded what this product can do is not nearly shown. I will do the entire truck next week and abandon the ATF rub for now. This product is very easy to work with. It is really for flat and matt paint but also for original patina cleaning and protecting.

post-34-0-76689100-1361580092_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-86547000-1361580151_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-69606500-1361580206_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-58243500-1361580247_thumb.jpg

One of my used calipers froze on me so I bought a pair of new ones. Now it stops straight, the pedal is spongy, so will have to bleed on more time.

Took a little longer drive today. The steering is amazingly tight. The truck goes straight down the road and to change lanes I move my hand from 11:00 to 12:00 or to 10:00. It drives like it has power steering, just really nice.

I took some new pictures, so I need to update my profile. Next week new windshild and a full body rubdown and it should pass inspection.

When I was taking the pics by the barn, I noticed a NICE 56 Ford in the brush, nice chrome grill. Did not go close since I was not invited.

post-34-0-53932900-1361661011_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-18538200-1361661077_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-35198100-1361661177_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-59552600-1361661222_thumb.jpg

One of my used calipers froze on me so I bought a pair of new ones. Now it stops straight, the pedal is spongy, so will have to bleed on more time.

Took a little longer drive today. The steering is amazingly tight. The truck goes straight down the road and to change lanes I move my hand from 11:00 to 12:00 or to 10:00. It drives like it has power steering, just really nice.

I took some new pictures, so I need to update my profile. Next week new windshild and a full body rubdown and it should pass inspection.

When I was taking the pics by the barn, I noticed a NICE 56 Ford in the brush, nice chrome grill. Did not go close since I was not invited.

Lookin good Paul, yes I find these trucks steer pretty good, when all is tight up front.

Just beled and re-bleed, with a helper, till all air is purged.

Hey Paul nice back drop, whjat are thos trees in blossom? An what are those trees by the house, that have not leafed out yet. It will not look like that here till early May, sometimes late April, the grass gets green, and trees begin to leaf out... truck looks good and solid.enjoy

Spitfire: The blosoms are early nectarine trees, the old trees, possibly sycamore, or maybe our "river oak trees, I'm not sure. I was looking for an old barn, I really wanted to be closer to the barn, but didn't have permission. I will now give the exterior a final treatment using a new product called "RAT WAX". Then take the same pics to see if I can tell a difference.

I was lucky when I found this truck. It is just as I found it. I have only cleaned it up, rebuilt the top of the engine, new wiring, disc's up front, all new brake lines, a 97 Cherokee master cylinder, a 97 Cherokee rear axle, removed one leaf all around, 15" rims and radial tires, and a replacement grill. New windshield glass this week.

Not bad for a novice, my first attempt at auto mechanics. I have a lot of forum members to thank.

post-34-0-10477200-1361723209_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-73927300-1361723275_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-52769100-1361723346_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-64152200-1361723690_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-27745700-1361723948_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Close up of the new glass. The rubber seal is from Robert's Steele. Seal, windshield glass, and installation was an 'investment' of $315.00. OUCH. But old shoes with a new suit does not work.  All major items are now complete: rebuilt engine, front disc brakes and king pins, 97 Cherokee rear axle, new wiring, shocks, rims, tires, bumper, bed floor,  insultated cab, new gauges, restored steering wheel, new glass, and restored exterior all DONE.

Now to the DMV on Friday, then drive and debug for three weeks to better my odds of making it to the BBQ, so 48dodger, leave a light on!

Edit: My wife doesn't want me to make the trip. I did get AAA roadside service the level which will haul my vehical 250 miles, so I am covered.

Edited by pflaming

WOHOO!!! Rock amd Roll!!.... :D

Nice work Paul. Now hopfully the DMV doesn't send you on any wild goose chases!

48D 

Seat Covers: I got this from notes I saved from Greybeard: He used late nineties Ford 150 front seat upholstery in his pilot house. The important trick is to use hog (porker) nose rings. They are large enough, the size of a quarter, to clamp over the upholstery plastic J-molding and catch the metal seat frame. These covers are not vynal and 'came in several' colors, depending upon your find. They also have padding, foam and backing about an inch thick. He installed these OVER his old covers. Greybeard said he didn't use the padding because he didn't want to raise the seat height nor the back width. He has a large body so . .

Thanks Greybeard. The above has been paraphrased from his post. I tried to post his but it wouldn't paste.

So to Pick R Parts this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled into a friends yard, he rebuilds cars. New sound fron somewhere. On a hunch I loosened the fan belt, sound disappeared! Water pump! It's not leaking, yet, so called napa will have a new one at daybreak, will replace immediately. GOT TO MAKE IT TO THE BBQ. Can't take any chances. I'm beginning to get a mechanics ear and I'm hearing impaired.

I just completed my interior, so I'm hearing different sounds now, albeit many fewer sounds, but different sounds.  There were sooo many noises and sounds before, I think they drown out the ones I'm hearing now.

I've done the same thing.  I hear a foreign noise and I immediately think "oh crap what's that and what's wrong now?"

Pulled into a friends yard, he rebuilds cars. New sound fron somewhere. On a hunch I loosened the fan belt, sound disappeared! Water pump! It's not leaking, yet, so called napa will have a new one at daybreak, will replace immediately. GOT TO MAKE IT TO THE BBQ. Can't take any chances. I'm beginning to get a mechanics ear and I'm hearing impaired.

I went through a bunch of water pumps until I figured out that I was setting my belt tension too tight. Just has to be tight enough that the generator and fan pulleys don't slip. On my car that isn't much more than the weight of the generator when all the adjusting and mounting bolts on the generator are loose. So I just push ever so slightly down on the generator when I tighten the mounting bolts and tensioning arm nuts.

• 3 months later...

We know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the price of a vehicle is dependent upon the buyer and seller at the moment. An hour ago, while getting some fuel, an admirer looked my truck over, listened to the engine and asked it it was for sale.  In jest I said no but $15,000 might give me pause. His response surprised me, when he said, "would you take $10,000. !!!!! I know I don't have that much in it and that would certainly help build my convertible.

Which, the wife or the grandkids? ;)

Jeff, actually the car puts me down town with the truck nearly every day, so it is KEEPING me IN the truck. Been thinking of building a two person sleeper/fishing camper for the truck. I've got it figured out just need the time.

Dog, it has crossed my mind to get a shop dog. If so then a very small bulldog type. I would train him not to leave the alley and he could get all the exercise he needs in that alley.  Name? Probably "Forum" ! 

Edited by pflaming

Paul ???

You know I was referring to the car. All it is going to do is keep you away from the truck. And In the end you will get bored and move on. Or run outta $.

I think your time would be better spent on making a companion tent trailer to go with the truck. Just think of the great adventures you could have with a setup like that?

Of course you'd need a dog named Charlie to go with it. :)

I would never suggest the other.......'cause if you have a family that has put up with you this long.....they must be keepers. :lol:

Jeff

• Like 1

Which, the wife or the grandkids? ;)

Jeff, actually the car puts me down town with the truck nearly every day, so it is KEEPING me IN the truck. Been thinking of building a two person sleeper/fishing camper for the truck. I've got it figured out just need the time.

Dog, it has crossed my mind to get a shop dog. If so then a very small bulldog type. I would train him not to leave the alley and he could get all the exercise he needs in that alley.  Name? Probably "Forum" ! 

Alley Oop........you know that's gonna happen!

OK Paul....it's yours to sell........ but I am fairly certain you would regret it later. :D

A small camper might be a real cool project. Nice thing about a camper is you can take your comforts with you and still have the ability to tow a small boat. My son-in-law and I have been discussing a boat for a while so it will probably be next after I get the truck done. I will have to see how well the truck works out........but the idea of a wooden camper certainly has some appeal to me.

Jeff