Rear view mirror recommendations

Drdialtone

I anxiously awaited new 'clip on' door mirrors ordered from A.B. They arrived, nice quality for reproductions, however...

Here is my dilemma. No matter how I adjusted them, the right side is impossible to see from the driver's seat. From the clamp the angle of the arm to the mirror goes forward, reducing the rear angle that is needed to see past the door frame. First I thought, must be you have the wrong mirror on the right side. Flip flopped - same problem.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a set of mirrors that "sweep back" to give a better viewing angle for the right side? Or, has anyone found better mounting mirrors for the doors on 46-48 Plymouths? I want to stay close to original look, but the mirrors I have now just won't cut it. Ideas?

I put swan neck mirrors from the SoCal speed shop on my p15 coupe. They kind of mimic the original style cowl mount mirrors only they are on the door. I can see each side decently well. Been tempted to upgrade the mirror head to a 5" one from a truck to see if that helps.

I bought a pair of these 5" clamp on mirrors several years back from JC Whitney for around $22 bucks for the pair. Not the best but better than nothing.

elevenbuck5inch.jpg

Hey Don, do you have the same mirror on the passenger side? I have these same mirrors, placed in about the same position, but cannot see the passenger mirror from the drivers seat. What the heck am I doing wrong?! ... must be a ID10T error on my part...

I've posted this to an earlier thread but hope it helps...

I have SoCal Speed Shop swan-necks on my P15.

They work great, and look just right, although I have put a 4" round, stick-on convex mirror on the one on the passenger side (I need the extra wide view when the top's up).

post-13-13585361540546_thumb.jpg

post-13-13585361540872_thumb.jpg

They work great, and look just right, although I have put a 4" round, stick-on convex mirror on the one on the passenger side (I need the extra wide view when the top's up).

Robin,

Your car is GORGEOUS!!!! Wow, what a looker. You must be VERY proud. Thanks for the pictures - I think these mirrors are the ticket. They look fantastic.

Cheers Aye!

Kirk

Finally mirrors that look like they work, and look good.

i have used convex stick ons with peep mirrors before, they do help,

especially for us guys driving on the wrong side of the road for these cars lol

i just had a respray, and i just cant bring myself to put back on those

peeps, So thanks Robin, i will order a set tonight

oh and i love your car, its a beauty .

Hi folks.

Speaking of mirrors, was there a standard driver side mirror on a 50 Meadowbrook? Any pictures? If so, was it rebuildable? Mine pivots on a ball and socket joint that is very loose.

I mean the mirror is already kind of useless due to its size and if I go over, say 40 MPH, the wind knocks it out of adjustment.:mad:

Is there a way to tighten it?

• 1 year later...

Can you see the passenger side good. That seems to be the biggest problem.

:eek:  :confused:  :D

Hey Don, do you have the same mirror on the passenger side? I have these same mirrors, placed in about the same position, but cannot see the passenger mirror from the drivers seat. What the heck am I doing wrong?! ... must be a ID10T error on my part...

I do have the same mirror on the passanger side. I can see it but it is not as good as a modern day car mirror. Norms Coupe suggested using a glue on convex mirror on the passanger side for better visibility. But by doing so you also get better distorsion.

It's ot the size of the mirror but more the length of the arm.  I have some old clip ons that have about a 4 or 5 inch length that work fairly well. So when buying clamp ons look for ones with the longest arms possible.  Another source might be aftermarket motorcycle mirrors.

Hey RiffRaff,

I think you'll be really pleased with those mirrors. And they'll look great on your coupe.

Look out for my PM (sending now).

Robin, What hardware comes with the mirrors? Is there a plate that comes with them to fasten on the inside of the door skin. That would probably stiffen them up quite a bit. Do they just have a stud that protrudes through the door skin, or is it a bolt, or is it two screws? I'm afraid that my kids might walk by too close and hit them.

Darren

those are definitely truck looking mirrors....I could not envision them looking at home on a sedan....but, that is just my personal take on the item...at the moment there are as set of nice swan neck mirrors on e-bay for a very nice price with free shipping...these are not hard to find....last time I posted the link to the site a few mocked without knowing first hand because of the low price but those that actually bought were extremely pleased with the product..my only tip on getting a swan neck is to be sure you have an anti rotation pin/stud in conjunction with the mounting stud..

A bit industrial but mirrors are definitely function before form for me. Can't stand the factory short arm left side on my PH. I've got a matching right hand mount that can be added, but, I'll probably replace both with West Coast Jr or long arm type. Tucked in looks better but gives a less than stellar field of vision.

Look at 1957 Cameo truck mirrors. Long stem with a 3 hole mounting base... on sale at Brother's Trucks... brotherstrucks.com

coms300.jpg

as you chose to post the picture of the truck mirrors on the car side of the site without comment that they were intended for your truck..thus my comment..we have a truck side where your post and comment would not have been misunderstood...thus my comment on application to a sedan