Shocks for a 1 ton

any part numbers/vendors out there that would carry the front shocks for the 1 ton's? Roberts, VPW, don't have any that are big enough/right sized. Frame mount to axle mount length is 21.5" at max extension right now with the engine on the frame and sitting on the front tires.

NAPA has nothing in their standard search for my truck.

CarQuest was always better than NAPA when I had a 58 one ton. Stuff NAPA said was impossible to get I usually had in my hand the next day. If you know somebody with a 60s model D300 or W300 see if they will let you test fit a shock from theirs. Should be pretty close.

I also have good luck with Parts Plus retailers and SOME National Auto Parts franchises. Google Hagen's Auto Parts. They stock parts back to 1909. I used to shop there a lot, lived in the same town as their physical store. Pricey but...

Hagens had a major fire a a year or two ago-not sure if they are up a running 100%.

Atlas usually have Chrysler shock absorbers listed on Ebay. I know a couple of people who have bought theirs from Atlas and they were very happy. There's a set listed there now...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1939-40-41-42-46-47-48-49-50-Dodge-Truck-Shock-Abs-Set-/370364417461?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item563b7085b5

Desotodav

Mark do you have your old ones? If so how do they compare to the new ones that don't fit? Maybe the weight of the cab and front clip will drop the frame enough.

ed, sadly I tossed them in the tear down thinking they'd be an easy replacement...stopping at NAPA tonight to pick up the ones that "seem" to be right.

hmmm, well the space between the mount points is a little over 19.5", and the mounts are .700" in diameter x 1.75 wide. The shocks from NAPA are 5/8" loops but only 1 9/16" wide. NAPA shows a .75" diameter X 1.75 loop available. Which is proper, the 5/8 or ther 3/4? So far they recommed a 14" compressed shock X 22.5" open. That puts some load on the shock where the frame sits right now and keeps it from being at full extension. Even with my weight added it doens't really move things very far down to put a 19.5 extension shock on.

oddly the parts book has them al the same...B, C, D in order below

should I wait to put the shocks on until I get the body on?

shockpage-1.jpg

thoughts?

Edited by ggdad1951

You might get enough spring drop when fully assembled. The extra leaves a 1 ton has over a half ton will raise the truck a bit, 1/2" or more and new springs will settle some over time. You still don't want the shocks to become a load carrier. They're only supposed to control spring oscillation, not support the weight of the truck. Can the lower shock mounts be flipped and switched side to side to give you enough? If not, longer shocks are in order.

You might get enough spring drop when fully assembled. The extra leaves a 1 ton has over a half ton will raise the truck a bit, 1/2" or more and new springs will settle some over time. You still don't want the shocks to become a load carrier. They're only supposed to control spring oscillation, not support the weight of the truck. Can the lower shock mounts be flipped and switched side to side to give you enough? If not, longer shocks are in order.

no flipping avaialable, it is what it is. Might get a few people to put some weight on the front end to see if that will drop it a little bit.

Bigger problem is not finding the right dimensioned loop for a longer shock. for the .700" diameter mount, should it be a 5/8 or 3/4 gasketed eye?

I still have the shocks on my 51 i-ton. I'll pull one off and take some measurements for you this weekend.

that'd be HUGE! I owe ya beers or something! If possible take some pics as well. The compressed and uncompressed lengths would be great to know.

Edited by ggdad1951

I still have the shocks on my 51 i-ton. I'll pull one off and take some measurements for you this weekend.

any word? (asking anxiously)

OK, finally had a chance to get into the garage.

I took off the left (drivers) side shock.

The following was stamped into the dust shield portion of the shock;

Made In

N IND USA

1273817 FRONT

355-206-55 I1C50

The letter/number in red above was shaped kind of like a capital letter I but the right side of the upper crossbar is missing. Definately not a 1.

The Right (passenger) side shock numbers were the same except that last part after 355-206-55 I2B50 again with the funny letter.

The space between mount points on my truck is 18" and the loop holes measure right around .690 after sitting a while. The compressed length of the shock is just under 15" and the extended length is about 22 5/8".

Hope this helps.

Scott

post-7158-13585361385027_thumb.jpg

post-7158-13585361388113_thumb.jpg

post-7158-13585361388408_thumb.jpg

post-7158-1358536138869_thumb.jpg

yes, helps a TON. One ton the be exact! :D

Pretty much confirms the size I got at NAPA is the same. The only thing is the loop width being narrower. Would I be able to just use a spacer to soak up the open space? I know NAPA has some spacer deals.

• 9 years later...

Age is one of the reasons I brought this back up...when my Monroe shocks got about 7-8 yrs old, they started to leak, handling became an issue on lumpy roads, and nose dive was more pronounced on braking especially downgrade.  I recently replaced 5 yr old Monroe shocks on the QuadCab as opposite corners started to leak; replacement on all 4 corners substantially improved ride quality and braking with that Cummins had much less nose dive.  Shock absorber performance degradation is so subtle that drivers don't know what they're missing until they upgrade to fresh components :cool:

• Like 1