some progress...

52b3b Joe

Does saving money=stop buying fords? HAHA Bumper looks nice post the details of your new spray gun please.

That was part of the problem...and having the itch to drive it whenever I could...

The gun isn't anything special, I thought I'd try one of the cheaper Campbell Hausfeld model DH650001AV. It was $40 from Walmart and I spent $5 for a no questions asked free replacement deal. 

Its not a high end gun by any means, but it does a nice job for someone that doesn't want to spend a lot. I'm very happy with it.  

Edited by 52b3b Joe

The bumper looks great Joe.

I had all sorts of fun straightening mine on the 52 truck as it was made of spring steel. These things are set to try us!

Oh trust me, I think it is their goal to try us! The bumpers are not perfect, there are still a few dings and waves, but a lot better than it was in the first post I made! The back bumper is still very wavy. That thing was kinked and banged up far worse than the front. There was a "farmer's special" hitch on the back that probably didn't help any.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a day to put some more time in the truck. It keeps getting harder and harder to make time with it between, school, homework, and working. When I do get free time, all I want to do is sit, so its hard to get motivated to get out there! Hopefully pretty soon I'll have some more free time to work on it, but school unfortunately comes first...

I sandblasted the bed sides and the bed cross members. I painted the cross members today also. Here are a few pictures of the sides. The truck is getting closer to being done though!!! Last weekend I tore into the 48 Desoto to start tearing it down, and helped my dad with his project on the 41 Desoto, then I played around with my (new) torch set, and was able to get the bed sides quite a bit straighter. I don't think I'm going to get them a whole lot better at this point, so I think my next step is to do the rust repair, and use filler. Maybe down the road in a few years I can find better sides to put on, but for now it will be however they come out. It was an old beat up truck when I started, so you can't ask for miracles without a lot of skill, money, or time as in my situation...

This week I'm going to try and get the sides in primer and buy the cream wheel paint. I'm hoping I'll be able to sandblast and paint the wheels and start repairing the rust on the bed next weekend. I think its a little ambitious though, but we will see. The WPC convention is in Detroit for 2014, and I want to get the truck done for it, so I need to get going if I'm going to make it. 

post-3516-0-20791200-1382917486_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-02273100-1382917496_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-97367800-1382917507_thumb.jpg

With a truck, minor dents and dings are battle scars of a life well lived. That is what I enjoy about the antique truck hobby.  If you make it too nice-you won't use it.   It looks good to me!  Mike

With a truck, minor dents and dings are battle scars of a life well lived. That is what I enjoy about the antique truck hobby.  If you make it too nice-you won't use it.   It looks good to me!  Mike

I have had the thought of making it too nice, I'm already a little afraid of putting a chair in the bed when I get it done because the wood floor came out so nice. I'll have to see what its like when its all said and done. I initially wasn't even going to paint the truck, and just get the truck mechanically done and safe, then one thing led to another, and here I am. How did I get here? I'm still try to figure it out...

I have had the thought of making it too nice, I'm already a little afraid of putting a chair in the bed when I get it done because the wood floor came out so nice. I'll have to see what its like when its all said and done. I initially wasn't even going to paint the truck, and just get the truck mechanically done and safe, then one thing led to another, and here I am. How did I get here? I'm still try to figure it out...

Joe my floor has 4 coats of poly over white oak. Don't worry about it just put your chairs back there!

Joe, I put all sorts of stuff in my bed...rocks, gravel, sod whatever....oh wait, you mean my DODGE!  LOL.  What I DO put in FEF gets a towel or blanket under I've had zero issues with damage.

Joe, I put all sorts of stuff in my bed...rocks, gravel, sod whatever....oh wait, you mean my DODGE!  LOL.  What I DO put in FEF gets a towel or blanket under I've had zero issues with damage.

Overrestored :)

DSC01149.jpg

Dirt20112.jpg

Just right! I think Ed's truck is just right. Love the look. Makes me smile every time I see it. :)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. My trucks not restored at all. Its pretty much a survivor. It had one mediocre at best repaint sometime in its life and otherwise it would have been pretty much untouched except for the guys before me blew the motor and took it apart for a SBC swap.

Just right! I think Ed's truck is just right. Love the look. Makes me smile every time I see it. :)

Jeff

Yeah Jeff, it is just right! You oughta' see him try and turn LEFT!!!!  :D  :D  :D

I wish I had a picture of when he was trying to make a left U turn! Merle and Mark know what I'm talking about! 

All joking aside, I really like Ed's truck too. I've even gone for a ride in it, and it goes down the road very nicely. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty surprised with my progress on the truck today. I actually got home early, so I took the tires and had them taken off the rims. When I got back, I sandblasted them and hit them with epoxy primer along with hitting the epoxy on the bed sides. I even was able to get the back sides of the rims painted with color.  Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the front side of the rims painted. I need to get them done by Saturday so my friend can mount and balance the wheels for free, so its worth pushing to get them done. I'll try and get some pictures soon. 

Edited by 52b3b Joe

Joe;

You are going to have to clue me in on the left turn thing? Was it a signaling thing?

It just looks like the quintescential vintage truck to me. The fact that it is a survivor makes it real special in my eyes. I really wish that I would have had enough finish on mine to have gone that route.

Jeff

Joe;

You are going to have to clue me in on the left turn thing? Was it a signaling thing?

It just looks like the quintescential vintage truck to me. The fact that it is a survivor makes it real special in my eyes. I really wish that I would have had enough finish on mine to have gone that route.

Jeff

If only. The suspension design of the 39-47s puts the pitman arm against the trailing edge of the LF tire on left turns. I have oversized radials so I had to adjust the wheel stop to keep the tire from rubbing the pitman arm. This of course gives me a crappy turning radius.

As far as the finish I got lucky the parts will mostly still there. Truck was completely apart when I got it. Only red piece missing was the cowl vent.

Edited by Young Ed

Ed;

Ah So. :D I see. That is a shame. I am fairly impressed at the turning radius on my 3/4 ton. I would say it is fairly nimble for it's day.

Yes you were extremely lucky to get one with that much finish. The PO of mine took 98% of it off......and several colors of ancient primer was not going to cut it. At any rate you do have something to be proud of.

Jeff

as much as I give grief to Ed for his ORANGE survivor, I really appreciate it for what it is, a survivor!

Edited by ggdad1951

Ed;

Ah So. :D I see. That is a shame. I am fairly impressed at the turning radius on my 3/4 ton. I would say it is fairly nimble for it's day.

Yes you were extremely lucky to get one with that much finish. The PO of mine took 98% of it off......and several colors of ancient primer was not going to cut it. At any rate you do have something to be proud of.

Jeff

I believe mine would be good too if I had stock or closer to stock sized tires. Also could try a wheel with a half inch or inch less backspace. In the meantime I've just gotten used to it....