I'm back

mrwrstory

• 4 weeks later...

Need a little hand holding.

Can someone explain the correct attachment of the bottom edge of the inner door panel on a P-15.

I re-did mine in the late 1900s using Luan door skin material from Home Depot.  The originals are long

gone.  Looking at what I did, now has me thinkin, this is not correct and/or would likely not work with

upholstery wrapping around the bottom edge of the panel.  Might there be a metal flange attached to

the back of the panel to catch the clips, and yielding a finished edge to the trim?

doorpanel1_zpsa389bc2a.jpg

-

doorpanel3_zps2058ff3c.jpg

Somewhere on here I have a nice thread on how I redid mine. However I couldn't find it! Basically the door panel is flat. The door is not. The clips all attach to the door panel the same way but the bottom row is longer. They go through that rubber strip and clip into the door. The rubber hangs out as you have it and also lays in the area that isn't the same height as the rest of the door panel area.

Ya, but my question is, is the bottom edge of the interior panel 'sposed to set in the clips as shown in the second pic?  Seems that's not a very good way to treat the finished edge of the upholstery.

Edited by mrwrstory

Ya, but my question is, is the bottom edge of the interior panel 'sposed to set in the clips as shown in the second pic?  Seems that's not a very good way to treat the finished edge of the upholstery.

No thats wrong. Those clips should go into a square hole in the backside of the panel just like all the other door panel clips. Those clips are just a tad longer to go through that rubber piece.

I have this one. I tried to find the old thread when I did my panels but its too far back. Anyone know how to search further back into the history of the group??

DSC02140.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy Aug./Sept.  Here's a bit of a status report.

This is as far as the seat goes until a complete upholstery job,....and that won't be anytime soon.  Too many other

things to spend money on.  At least they're clean and functional.  The color will be different

IMG_3992_zps08d0b5d3.jpg

Finally got the converted gauges back from Redline.  Pricey but quality work.  They attached the pointers from my

originals to new internals.  They really look cool at night with cleaned surfaces and 12v bulbs

IMG_4618_zps16dfad07.jpg

:)

IMG_4632_zps2ff8876b.jpg

I chatted with the fellow, out of Napa, on several occasions, who reps/sells American Autowire before I purchased.  I was impressed with his helpfulness and clear description of the features of the various kits.  They will sell you bare bones and cheap if that's what is needed.  However I stepped up for the middle line kit and I am exceptionally pleased.  It's very complete.  Really good quality stuff, clear instructions, plenty of labeled wire.  I did not use the ignition switch, light switch or steering column connector as they were either too large or not needed for my Plymouth.  I would buy the product again.

• 1 month later...

Need a little help.  Can someone send a pic or a description of the routing of both the parking brake cable

and the speedometer cable.  I know there are two large grometted holes in the neighborhood of the pic below.  

One hole is shown here with a bit of plastic wire loom exposed.  What is the stock arrangement?

IMG_4861_zpsc3695ffa.jpg

I feel like I gotta knock on the microphone to see if it's workin.

#1 - I'm still hoping someone can coach me on the correct routing for the emergency and speedo cables.

#2 - New question,...... Should there be a welt bead around the windshield garnish molding, i.e. across the header, down

the "A" pillar and across the dash.  I think I've seen that.  I know I also need windlace on the door jam.

IMG_4879_zpsdd54ed64.jpg

Also, can someone clue me into the thread that discussed parts cleaning with dishwash detergent.  Try as I might, I am

unable to find it via the "search" function.

The parking brake cable goes through the upper hole in the firewall, it's a straight shot out of the bracket for the handle, the hole is about the size of a quarter. There is a bracket that attatches to both the cable and the steering column on the engine side of the firewall, after that it loops down and hooks into the transmission on a stocker, in my case I welded a bracket to the frame and tee'd off to two cables going to the rear end similar to newer pickup truck. My car has a 318/ 4 speed/ 8 3/4 rear.

The speedo cable comes out of the cluster, runs parallel to the steering column and then makes a right turn and goes out the oval hole that's above the gas pedal, it comes out pointing at the distributor on a car with a V8. There's a small tab that clamps the cable to the firewall once it passes through to the engine side holding the cable away from the engine, after that it loops down and plugs into the transmission.

As for the garnish molding, my car didn't have the stock interior in it when I got it but there is welt bead up the A pillars and across the dash.

Edited by Daliant.

Speedometer cable exiting firewall and clamp. The clamp is just a basic strip of steel looped over the cable.

Edscar015.jpg

Remnants of the welt showing. I believe it would have had a small bead on it when new. I don't think it went all the way around however just across the dash maybe until butting up to the door welting.

DSC02033.jpg

Pretty sure I posted this question before.  I apologize for the repeat.  Can't seem to come up w/an answer via the "search" function. :huh: 

I'm recalling seeing a commentary, in another post, about cleaning parts via boiling in dish washing detergent.  Can someone help me with that?  And/or could one of you, who regularly studies/participates in this forum, comment, "never heard that one", if I'm guilty of dreaming up this scenario.  Won't be the first time I've done that!  :( 

Pretty sure I posted this question before.  I apologize for the repeat.  Can't seem to come up w/an answer via the "search" function. :huh: 

I'm recalling seeing a commentary, in another post, about cleaning parts via boiling in dish washing detergent.  Can someone help me with that?  And/or could one of you, who regularly studies/participates in this forum, comment, "never heard that one", if I'm guilty of dreaming up this scenario.  Won't be the first time I've done that!  :( 

Don't know about boiling them in dish washing detergent as I've never tried that.

But I did try to wash some parts in the dish washer once. Seemed to me if the washer was good at getting off food oil and grease it might be good at getting off other types of oil and grease. Only did that once. Fortunately it was while I was single. :)

I recall hearing of that method. Never tried it, but, consider that some soap had high % of phosphorus back in the old days of soap.  (Because of the phosphorus, powered soap was useful in Vietnam when we made 'foo-gas'...)

With a decided lack of phosphorus in todays soap it may or may not clean as well as in the old days.

After floundering around on Google for awhile, I came up with Pine Sol.  That led me to recall some heavy duty degreaser/floor cleaner for restaurants, that's on the shelf.  I think I'm on to something and will let ya'll know.

In the meantime, I'm still open to comments.

I believe it was forum member Lou Earl who recommended dropping a dish washer pill into the radiator then taking a 20 mile trip. Return to the shop and flush the cooling system. He said this works great. I do not recall anyone using the stove top dish washer soap boiling procedure but it should work. I would not do this with aluminum as the dish washer detergent tends to eat aluminum. I do use kitchen sink detergent (Dawn) to clean my hands and many parts as it removes grease and oil very well.