New Guy with an Old Car :)

PhilJohnson

I bought me a 1950 Dodge Coronet last week for 500 bucks. It was too good of a deal for me to pass up. It runs good, the brakes sorta work, the floors are definitely in need of help. It has a goofy Gyromatic trans which I have never even seen before. This isn't my first vintage Mopar. I had a 53 Cranbrook I drove as a semi-daily driver when I was 20 (even drove it in the snow). My friends and I worked on the electrical system but there were a few bugs in it I never quite got the car all sorted out. Wound up selling it for 300 bucks and been regretting it since. Now I know a bit more about cars and have more skills so I think this one will turn out better :)

m217448593.jpg

Hi Phil. Welcome to the best place for old Mopars going.:)

Sounds like a good deal to me. I like the two tone color scheme.

I think the gyromatic means you don't have to shift as much.

But I don't think yer gonna set any new land speed records for takeoff, though.

Hey Phil! Welcome to the forum. Looks like a beaut ya' got there! Where ya' located? Hope you keep us posted on your projects!

I'm near Hatfield. I really want to rig up some sort of tent garage thing for the winter. I have a 53 Willys Aero and it sucked welding on it when it was 10 below zero.

Hi Phil, Nice car. Is it original paint? You got a heck of a deal for that price. Welcome to the gang. More pics when you get time.

Tim

No the paint isn't original although I think it was done quite some time ago. The car doesn't seem to be a bondo bucket (unlike the Willys I own). I do have another pic I can post:

m217448592.jpg

Welcome Phil,

I bet you will enjoy your old/new Mopar wayback machine since you had one when you were young and probably feel connected to it. I have a 50 Plymouth, not much different from your car.

Mark

I have a lot of good memories with my old Cranbrook :) It got good gas mileage although because of the wonky electrical system it wasn't too reliable. Once the pressure switch caught on fire and I lost all my braking ability. I put out the fire with dirt from the dirt road I was on. Also I didn't do a very good job of securing the alternator after I went 12 volt so the bracket kept breaking. I have since learned a few things about wiring and fabricating :D I wish I had some pictures of that one.

'58 Ford

That neighbor drove that 58 ford everyday for years. He got over 200K miles out of it. Finally about 2 years back he heard a clink at the grocery store and lost reverse. He retired it then. He moved up to his wifes old mercury grand marquis from probably the late 80s.