1947 License Plates

richards47deluxe

I didn't know plates were worth that much. Do they have to be a pair. I have maybe 6 - 9 Nebraska plates back to the 40s. HMMM. Frankie, interested? (He's still holding out for Texas):D

I think if you can use the Y O M (year of manufacture) plates in your

state, you only have to use the number of plates required in that year.

For example, in 1947, Missouri used only one plate.......so that's all I would

need.

That plate came out really nice.

Yeah, Jim, I guess that would be a deal here in MO since you have to

take the county tax statement in (along with other stuff) to renew the

license on your everyday car.

While my car was sitting for several years, it wasn't listed on my tax form

either. It's there now, but I don't recall the amount of tax on it.

You can use Year of manufacture plates in New York ($3 fee plus what ever you paid for the plate). Here's the goofy part. The plate cannot be repainted! You must send in a photo of the plate along with the 3 bucks.

However, they must not look to closely because the plate I found had been recently painted and I got registered anyway. I did take the photo in low light without flash so it didn't look too shiny.

You can use Year of manufacture plates in New York ($3 fee plus what ever you paid for the plate). Here's the goofy part. The plate cannot be repainted! You must send in a photo of the plate along with the 3 bucks.

However, they must not look to closely because the plate I found had been recently painted and I got registered anyway. I did take the photo in low light without flash so it didn't look too shiny.

You seem to forget that these are bureaucrats and not reasonable intelligent human beings. The law was put in place by other foolish ill-informed morons called politicians.

The no paint requirement by the State of New York was put in place because of the plates that were reflective being kept that way. To make the police department happy.

However, since said laws were written by people that thought all NY plates were shiney and had the Statue of Liberty on them (Yes, I know the plates now have Niagara Falls on them,but back when the law was written...), the no paint provision was put in place.

This is how people have so much trouble dealing w/ governmental agencies. Different interpretations of various rules, regulations, and laws, and then, of course, making new laws that contradict other things, but never rescinding the old thing, and then bureaucrats that are unaware of the change. Of course, government employees cannot be fired because of the civil service system and AFSCME.

Some States (I believe California is one of them) must run the plate number on YOM plates to insure the number is not already in use. If it is in use they will not allow you to use the plate.

Tennessee does not do this number check. I was lucky and found a matched set of 1948 tags and these tags are unique as they are not square but instead the shape of the State of Tennessee. A forum member with greater artistic skills than I have re-painted them for me.

Tags1.jpg

platedagain.jpg

pipesmoke.jpg

lots of YOM laws make sure the number is not in use..the numbering system of yore compared to today makes most these tags available for use..Georgia was also a two tag state in 41, first state and year to use reflective paint...also the tag is by far larger than todays tag...you need but one..cannot match a modern issue number, cannot be refinished and must be inspected by licensing division rep..I lucked upon a set of original untouched matching plates for about 1/2 the money of a refinished single..view myself as very fortunate indeed..I also for a pittance found a 41 Georgia trailer tag in case I get lucky and find a tear drop..we must have registered trailers here in Georgia..

the law is very vague here as it states cannot be refinished at time of inspection but never states it cannot be refinished after the fact..I think it was done this way to prevent restamping of Georgia tags by those companies that do this novelty business on the side...a certain state evidnetly allows novelty tags of YOM stamped status..I have seen a couple..