History of the Dodge Truck

Wikipedia is a conglomeration of various authors over time, each an update of a previous entry. There is not one author. Kind of a progressive definition by the people. Anyone can rewrite or modify the information, but it is subject to review and rebuke by the general internet population. But, usually if the new informaton can be defended, it stands. Remember, the earth was once square.

There is no better source for current knowledge and information on the Pilot-House trucks than the members of this Forum. I nominate Professor Merle or a member with his knowledge to be our advocate for updating the Wikepedia narrative. Do I hear a second?

I was piddlin around the internet doing a search for a short bed, low side tailgate and came across this site I had never seen. Interesting reading. Of interest to us are some great Pilothouse truck photos and narrative, particularly the B3.

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/ram-history.html

Thanks Jim for the Allpar website. By the way, I have a '52 B3B 1/2 ton truck

and live in the Dallas area (Grapevine). Lets get in touch.

mvvance@verizon.net

Mike

Wikipedia is a conglomeration of various authors over time, each an update of a previous entry. There is not one author. Kind of a progressive definition by the people. Anyone can rewrite or modify the information, but it is subject to review and rebuke by the general internet population. But, usually if the new informaton can be defended, it stands. Remember, the earth was once square.

There is no better source for current knowledge and information on the Pilot-House trucks than the members of this Forum. I nominate Professor Merle or a member with his knowledge to be our advocate for updating the Wikepedia narrative. Do I hear a second?

you got your second right here!

Professor Merle? :o

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, but I'm no expert. I bought one of Don Bunn's books before I found my truck because I developed an interest in this series of trucks and wanted to find out more about them. I think I'll have had my truck for 4 years this May. Since that time I've read the book, been an active member of this forum, and did a complete tear down and rebuild of my truck. All of my knowledge has come from those 3 sources and I'm still learning too.

Merle

I think I'll have had my truck for 4 years this May. Since that time I've read the book, been an active member of this forum, and did a complete tear down and rebuild of my truck. All of my knowledge has come from those 3 sources and I'm still learning too. Merle Coggins

Merle, your 2700 posts in four years on B-Series trucks speak for itself. Plus, as a B truck owner you have shop smarts & are not just book learnt. Your posts obviously get the respect of Forum members, and I personally find your explanations informative, educational and right on point. There may another qualified member who will step forward and represent us like Bob Koch, or Reg or ? but no-one is closer to our trucks and their history then the members that chime in day after day. It appears the original Allpar.com B-Series Wikipedia definition was started in 2006. Thanks to GTK and 25,000+ P-H posts, the DPETCA, and resources like Don Bunn's book, this Forum has become a real powerhouse of information on the 48-53 Dodge Pilot-House trucks. We need an at-large member to step up. Low pay and little reward, but lots of appreciation.

Well said Jim......

You deserve the praise Merle. And with the usally negative stuff one usually sees on a forum sites, it's great to see the members here consistently say nice things and recognize those who deserve it. I have my own list of people I enjoy posting with here, and you're definately on it Merle! :D

48D

• 2 years later...
John, I know of four for the picking here in the san joaquin valley. You are in a much smaller ag area, yet for the four I know of, I see chevys and fords all the time, so I agree they are at least scarce if not rare. I have never seen a pilot-house on the road around here. I have two friends who have their father's '50 chevy pickups parked in their garage(s), original owner trucks.

Up here in the north east the only other pilot house i've seen was a '52 like mine in Enfield, CT. I almost drove off the road out of excitement lol

Um....isn't that a 54' ( C series ) in the B series truck article??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_B_Series

Its in the main image box too......

48D

Actually its a UTE with carried over pilot house cab and the US 54-56 grill style. The US 54-56 trucks have a 1 piece curved windshield.

YEP.... the caption sez the photo is of Australian origin. Has the steering on the right side, and I never noticed before, but the gas filler is on the left. Poor aussie driver gotta walk around to the other side to fill'er up.

Well huh....

In any event, wrong truck for the article.

48D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...