Engine Crate/Stand

sam knopik

I've made up a couple of simple stands out of 2x4's. One went with the engine I sold to Young Ed, the other on under an engine in my garage. I don't have the dimensions for you but I can tell you it was pretty easy to make.

I cut two pieces as long as the engine, and the furnature dolly I set it on. Then I measured from the oil pan flange down to get a length of my vertical pieces. I screwed 2 vertical pieces to the long base pieces so that the engine oil pan flange would sit on the tops near the front and rear. I then cut a piece of 1/2" plywood that I had laying around and made a brace across the front and rear of the oil pan to connect the vertical pieces and lock it all together. You could also add some cross pieces between the two lower boards to tie the bottom together. Once done it all fits nicely on a furnature dolly so that I can roll it around.

Maybe I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.

Merle

I recently made one for my motor too. Pictures of it with the motor on it can be seen in this thread, at the bottom:

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=17954

The sides were 2x12, with notches for the dipstick and oil pump. The bottom frame was made from 1x4 pine.

The two lessons I learned were (1) It needed to be a couple inches wider on each side, and (2) Use steel casters, not rubber...the bigger the better.

Merle I reinforced that stand a little and added 4 castors to it. Still works great. Although I wish I had 4 swivel ones but hey I found them in the alley on trash night :)

These steel dollies are what I made to hold / move my MoPar engines.

Here's a couple pics of my stand. A quick measurement shows the vertical pieces 23 1/4" wide, measuring to the outside of each board. Each vertical 2x4 is 9" long. The bottom boards are 12" apart. There is another 2x4 connecting across the bottom boards just in front of the rear verticals. The front plywood helps brace it all together. It is notched out to fit around the curve of the front of the pan. This one is much sturdier than the first one I build, that Ed has. It was all made with one 8 or 10 food 2x4, a piece of 1/2" plywood, and a handfull of 3" screws.

PC111538.jpg

PC111539.jpg

PC111541.jpg

Look at "It's running !!!" and you can see what I did. I put two 8" x 8" blocks as the base then 4" x 4" blocks on the corners. It is very secure, motor doesn't viabrate when running. Good luck, lots of fun.

During the summer U-Haul was selling some of their old moving carts for cheap. I bought one and welded up some supports for my flathead. It sure makes it a lot easier to move around and tinker. I may take it another step and get it running like Pflaming before putting it back.....no time soon. Body is taking forever.

[email="IMG_0024-1.jpg"]IMG_0024-1.jpg[/email]

[email="IMG_0026.jpg"]IMG_0026.jpg[/email]