Interior Finished - Finally

grey beard

Drove my truck most of the summer without a headliner - just insulation in there - looked terrible. Finally got time to get her done.

My headliner and all the inside panels are ABS shower stall sort or stuff from Lowes - $26 bucks a sheet. Took two sheets. Then I painted it dark brown with Krylon Fusion textured paint and put plastic door edge trim on all the raw edges that show - sorta' gives it a finished look.

I have less than $100 in the whole interior. Hardest part was getting that one-piece headliner up in place.

I'm happy . . .:)

post-63-13585351935607_thumb.jpg

post-63-13585351935958_thumb.jpg

To cut the ABS board, I used a combination of saber saw and tin snips. The neat thing about this system is that when you have the piece cut out, the edges do not have to be perfect because the door edge trim I ussd to cover raw edges hides the rough cuts. I also clamped some of the pieces in my vise and dressed them with a 4-inch grinder - kinda dusty - just whatever works for you.

Allan Parkhurst was able to cut out his rear cab piece that fits aorund the windows and install it in one piece. I was not good enough to do that, but didn't like the three piece look of some with he big seam down each side between the corner windows and the center windows. So I made mine in two pieces with the seam centered with the back window - much easier to install that way than all in one piece. Getting this stuff behind the rubber was pretty easy, using just a putty knife and a brake spoon.

The real trick to using this material is the Krylon Fusion paint made to go onto plastic. I just wiped it down with lacuer thinner to get a little "tooth" and sprayed it - covers nicely, and it's available in lots of colors. Almost every good hardware store carries this stuff. It is a rough textured paint that covered the white board very well with no primer or undercoat.

This stuff is cheap, durable, available anywhere and pretty user friendly. I thought a long time about how to do this job, and am very pleased with the results I got - looks better than I had hoped. The upholstery washers I used on my sheet metal screws are also available at True Value type hardware stores - makes the job look pretty factory-like, IMHO.

Good Luck

Nice going on the finish work. I am at the point of taking it on, and your inside cab picture explains a few things about the fitment of the finish panels, as I had absolutely nothing left aside a few bits of panel board stuck under some finish washers, and button fastners stuck here and there throughout the truck, thus I have no patterns for anything. Having been there and done that with a Cartouche panel set for my 46 Ford pickup, I am not inclined to pay nearly $400.00 for what amounts to thin painted card board with a few feet of windlace thrown in, (and as I seriously doubt I can make it on to Merle Coggins Christmas list and come out with the really good factory made interior), I will definately be trying other options. It is always helpful to see what someone else has been able to do. Joel

• 1 month later...

Excellent job Dave! What did you use to Re-cover the arm rest and how did you do it?

Bob

Okay, lotsa' questions here. I'll do my best to answer all.

First, the door edge molding comes from Craft Supply in Utah, found on the internet. You can google it or call them direct at 800-551-8876. They have this stuff in many colors. I used flat black, but of course you could install it and then paint it with your panel paint, all at the same time. They sell it as door edge molding, and it comes in 5-ft lengths. I used twenty feet of the stuff to go around all my panels, but really would not have needed it on all the sides of the two kick panels. You may be able to get away with fifteen feet - three lengths. You pick your own color.

I got my second arm rest from J J on this forum in a swap of some sort, mebby a year or so ago. Painted both stock arm rests with the same Krylon Fusion paint I used on the white ABS paneling. This stuff is made to stick to vinyl, so it is perfect for the job. Just scrub your paint surfaces down with lacquer thinner and keep your finger prints off till it is painted. Works very well. Dries a flat brown. Available in black, too, as well as other colors.

I also have patterns for this stuff. Decided to make my headliner all in one piece. It slides into a slot in the cab just above the sun visors. To get it into the slot the whole way, I had to use a carpenter's wide pry bar and releive this slot just a scotch or two, then it slid right in. When it went in, the back of the headliner panel snapped over the seam pinch weld that is just above the rear windows, and was under a lot of tension - so much that I did hot need any screws in it. It is spring-loaded into place between these two cab body spots, and fits very nicely.

Hardest pieces to fit were the two around the back windows. I have just one screw in each of these panels since they also are pretty much held in place by the window rubbers. You'all must understand that these panels fit in place so tightly - headliner and back panels - that I likely could not get them back out without breaking them.

Lastly, those two small pieces that go above the two doors are real fussy to fit at the back, where they meet the rear cab panels. I had a pattern, but it was not perfect. I finally found that if I got the front part right, I could slip this end into place above the "A" piller, and then mark the bottom where it met the door opening, using a large magic marker. I had to make at least three of them on each side before I got the fit good enough to suit me. I used three screws with upholstery washers on each of these two pieces.

My two sun visors come from a late model nineties chbby van. They work fine and look okay but will not swing outboard due to the angle of the mount in the cab roof. Much bigger than he original visors. Got an extra drivers' side original visor if anyone needs it.

It takes two pieces of this paneling, no matter how carefully you lay it out. I tried to get it all out of one, but it just wasn't possible. ABS stuff costs like $26 a sheet at Lowes.

I think this recipe is pretty slick - and very affordable. Don't know why anyone would want anything else. It is really nice and durable. I got one scratch in the paint on my driver's door trim panel from climbing in and out with tools to do the headliner. I just used a Q-tip with a little paint sprayed into the lid, and touched it right up. When it dried, it blended in perfectly, since it is a flat finish anyhow, so it is very easy to repair if someone does abuse it.

Don't forget to use the "peel 'n seal" sound deadener and the foil bubble insulation - also both from Lowes. Makes a real quiet cab. JMHO

Good Luck

Edited by grey beard