Rear Transmission Mounts

lancair90

• 1 year later...

The body has dropped down over the years to make it hard to get the bell housing raised enough to be able to remove the 1 piece welded large washer and tube assembly thats inserted into the motor mount. I use a Hydraulic jack( porta power) to push the trans and bell housing up that little extra bit so I can remove/install the new mounts in these situations.

Bob

What is the best way to change rear engine mounts?

Tom

Tommy

Place car securely on ramps, stands hoist, get her up, safely.

Loosen front engine mounts

place floor jack under trans with wooden piece between jack and trans

unbolt rear motor mounts, and remove bolts

lift trans with jack, just enough to be able to slip motor mounts out

install new mounts, and bolt into place (use new fresh grade 8 bolts,nut,washer)

retighten front engine mount

re-adjust shifter linkage if necessary

Call the Boo Bird Flock and let em know you did the job........LOL

• Like 1

Tommy

Place car securely on ramps, stands hoist, get her up, safely.

Loosen front engine mounts

place floor jack under trans with wooden piece between jack and trans

unbolt rear motor mounts, and remove bolts

lift trans with jack, just enough to be able to slip motor mounts out

install new mounts, and bolt into place (use new fresh grade 8 bolts,nut,washer)

retighten front engine mount

re-adjust shifter linkage if necessary

Call the Boo Bird Flock and let em know you did the job........LOL

Thanks Fred. I had the tranny jacked up and it was hitting the floorboard. Still no room. I just talked to Tim and he give me another alternative.

Tom

The body has dropped down over the years to make it hard to get the bell housing raised enough to be able to remove the 1 piece welded large washer and tube assembly thats inserted into the motor mount. I use a Hydraulic jack( porta power) to push the trans and bell housing up that little extra bit so I can remove/install the new mounts in these situations.

Bob

Thanks to you Bob for that little bit of info.

Tom

• 4 years later...

Has anybody ever popped the rivets off the crossmember and made it a bolt-in? I would sure make it easier to change mounts.

Tom

I've thought of doing this too.  Would also make it a lot easier to pull and install the engine and trans as a unit.  I was thinking of using some Riv- Nuts and welding them to the frame.  

Anyone done this.

I gave up trying to replace my motor mounts this Fall.  I jacked the transmission up against the floor, but it wasn't high enough.  

I thought about drilling out the rivets on the crossmember, maybe next Spring.  I would have to cut out the weld along the bottom at the frame.  Then I noticed in photos the master cylinder mount, welded to the crossmember.  That would complicate things.  I would have to support the master cylinder.  Well, I'll have all Winter to think about it.

End of crossmember riveted and welded:

post-126-0-55948900-1446555819_thumb.jpg

MC bracket is welded to the crossmember:

post-126-0-16465000-1446555904_thumb.jpg 

Another view:

post-126-0-76121500-1446555989_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonaldSmith

Why not just do it right and pull the engine / bell housing forward off the mounts?

You will only have to do it once in your life time.

• Like 1

Has anyone had occasion to change the rear mounts on a 1949 Dodge with the car together?

I can't get the transmission high enough to get the rear mounts out of the crossmember.

I would appreciate any help and advice.

Harry

I was able to do it on my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook. Took some doing, maybe the disconnection of the clutch lever and the shift rods. And you have to raise the trans pretty high, but it's possible.

My issue and I'm curious about the forum's opinions, is that the new mounts I got were smaller than the originals and quite a bit stiffer, so once installed, a lot of engine vibration and noise was noticed in the interior, so I reinstalled the original, oil soaked one and stacked a couple of large washers to regain some height lost to the rubber settling on the originals. Are there good, original design rear trans mounts available?

I was able to do it on my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook. Took some doing, maybe the disconnection of the clutch lever and the shift rods. And you have to raise the trans pretty high, but it's possible.

My issue and I'm curious about the forum's opinions, is that the new mounts I got were smaller than the originals and quite a bit stiffer, so once installed, a lot of engine vibration and noise was noticed in the interior, so I reinstalled the original, oil soaked one and stacked a couple of large washers to regain some height lost to the rubber settling on the originals. Are there good, original design rear trans mounts available?

There is an upper and a lower. Did you get the lower only?

moter_mount.jpg

REAR_MOUNT_1.jpg

• Like 2

Removable floor pans on 1949 cars is only on the drivers side of the car and small unlike1946-1st series 49 cars. It's removal won't help much when raising the bell housing up.

• Like 1