Took my car to the local quick lube for the first time today...

blueskies

Not something I would normally do, but I've known the owners since I was a kid, and they do the oil changes on my daily drivers.

They had fun working on something that wasn't run of the mill... They had never seen so many grease zerks, I'm glad they don't charge by the zerk :D.

I took it in because I wanted to do a transmission fluid change for a couple of years. Since I can't get under the car without jacking it up, it's hard to get the transmission fluid level right because the car can't sit level on jackstands. They changed the transmission fluid, engine oil and filter, checked the rear end, and greased all the zerks they could find. Air'd up the tires too. Took them twice as long as a regular oil change, but charged me the regular price. They did it in half the time it would have taken me, and I didn't have to climb under there on my cold garage floor. I must be getting old like Norm...

Looks like I'm ready to roll tomorrow morning on the 4-5 hour cruise to Jackson, Wy. Looking forward to my vacuum "windshield wipers slapping out a tempo" in an expected torrent of rain all the way from here to there.

Pete

You could solve the problem of not getting the car level to change the tranny fluid by putting all four corners on four jack stands' date=' instead of just the two.[/quote']

The less time I spend under a car propped up on jack-stands the better. Makes me nervous especially doing the driveline swap, since there is no parking brake when the driveline is off. If I didn't have to pull apart the e-brake when I put the new driveline back in, I'd probably have someone else to it for me. I chalk the wheels that remain on the ground in both directions, but if the car started to slip, I'm sure it would run over the blocks and come down anyway. I also leave my big floor jack with pressure on the car under there even with jack stands. Keep the phone within reach too just in case.

Pete

Pete' date='

So far I still change the oil in my coupe (that may change soon though), just not my daily drivers. Don't take the daily drivers to those quick lubes either. Take them down to a real service garage nearby that's been there since the 40's. Don't trust the quick lube places. I've seen them use adjustable wrenches to get the plug out of the oil pan. Then when you want to work on it, the plug head is all rounded off. But.......in your case it's probably ok since you know the people where you went.

You could solve the problem of not getting the car level to change the tranny fluid by putting all four corners on four jack stands, instead of just the two.[/quote']

I had a quick lube place strip the threads in the pan for the drain plug on my old Jeep. That was the last time I took any car to a quick lube place. New cars get changed at the dealer or by a reputable mechanic. Old car gets changed by me.

I had a quick lube place strip the threads in the pan for the drain plug on my old Jeep. That was the last time I took any car to a quick lube place. New cars get changed at the dealer or by a reputable mechanic. Old car gets changed by me.

Ordinarily, I would never use a quick lube place, but these guys are the only oil change place other than a dealer in my small town, and are a two generation family run business. And they are car guys, classic cars of their own. They don't have any flunkies working in the shop. Next time the Plymouth is due for an oil change, I won't be under the gun and will do it myself.

Pete

Me too. Just prior to a summer vacation a few years ago the quick lube place stripped the threads of the oil drain plug in my 1990 Jimmy. They didn't have any over-sized self tapping drain plugs so they put in a stopper type plug. A real pain. Last time I went to one of those.

Phil

Ordinarily, I would never use a quick lube place, but these guys are the only oil change place other than a dealer in my small town, and are a two generation family run business. And they are car guys, classic cars of their own. They don't have any flunkies working in the shop. Next time the Plymouth is due for an oil change, I won't be under the gun and will do it myself.

Pete

Although I will not deal with fast lube places,It's nice to have a garage that you have confidence in.I like dealing with small independent businesses ,even though the cost may be seem a bit higher.It will be a loss if too many of them disappear.

I can understand why Pete went to the Quik-Lube place near him. However, I always change my own oil on all of my vehicles. After needing a breaker bar and a brass hammer to loosen the drain plug on my Neon, I swore that I'd never trust some one else to do something that I could do better myself.

After deciding to do all of my own oil changes, I found lots of testimonials of shady dealings involving Quik-Lube places. Tales of oil never actually changed and other services charged that were never rendered. I also read stories of blinker fluid and tyre air replacement, and fuel filter replacements on 1996 to '99 Neons.