Ply power steering

Ned Carz
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

• Solution
Posted (edited)

1954 the PS did not state the need for the larger engine, this come about in April with the introduction of Plymouth first fully automatic transmission...the only year Plymouth offered two different displacement flathead 6's and the larger 230 is identified by a diamond ahead of the engine class/number

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

1954 the PS did not state the need for the larger engine, this come about in April with the introduction of Plymouth first fully automatic transmission...the only year Plymouth offered two different displacement flathead 6's and the larger 230 is identified by a diamond ahead of the engine class/number

I think I saw one of those back in 59-60 maybe.   PS takes almost no HP to operate unless turning, and then only if stationary as it take so little effort to turn the wheels at speed and it is an open center system, no pressure unless needed.

Greetings - Ned again, with a new question.

Does anyone know if a rebuild kit is available for the '54 Plymouth or Dodge power steering pump??  

I know it's a long shot...

that may be a tough find, but with many options added to the car after the book went to the printers, you may have to source a Motors and or the 55 model year book for this section.  Also the collection of Mopar service bulletins are a plus.  This was if I recall, handled in 54 as a supplement.    

I mean it's essentially a hydraulic pump so I wonder if a hydraulic shop can handle it? I can't imagine there's much in a way special seals and gaskets and such?

I will try to get some pictures. If that will help?

I have a Mopar generator with the pump on the back. I think it is a 12 volt unit. The 25 inch flathead was C 53 or C 54.