Points locking screw stripped?

Cooper40

I was trying to adjust the points on the distributor. I turned the adjusting screw and gapped them and then I went to turn the locking screw and it was loose. I tried to tighten it and it just kept spinning and never tightened. Is there anywhere I could get a replacement screw?

By Cooper 40,

You will most likely have to replace your Distributor Plate to solve this problem.

A bigger Screw may work but will just monk things up down the road.

EBay sell them. So Does Andy Bernbaum, and many other places.

Unless that screw is just slam worn out, (maybe a new one would work, I would opt to replace the Dizzy Plate.

Good Luck with your repair!

Tom

Drop any of those little screws while the distributor is in the car and let the cursing commence.

1. Remove distributor cap.

2. If so equipped, disconnect vacuum line.

3. Remove wire from coil to side of distributor.

4. Remove screw on plate holding distributor to block.

5. Note location of rotor so you can put it back in the way you found it.

6. Pull distributor off.

Install is reverse. When you drop the distributor back in there are two ways it will sit down. The correct way and 180° off, look at the rotor to see that you have it correct. If not raise the distributor up, rotate the shaft 180° and drop it back in.

This procedure was written by Tod Finch from the post What is wrong with this distributor, currently on pg 2.

Joe Lee

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep.  Remove the distributor.  Much easier to adjust on the bench.  I know your on a budget so trying to tap it to a larger size as suggested above would have been my first choice at your age.  It's already broke so it's worth a try.  I picked up a NOS breaker plate from Vintage Oldtime Garage Auto Parts.  These plates come complete with points and condenser.  If you get a reproduction plate then be aware that the points will probably not be very high quality.  I get points from a local auto parts store and they as close to original as I have been able to find.  Made in Mexico.

Good luck

Mexico Points.jpg

Hey Cooper, when you order parts for your distributor, you need to order by the distributor model number, not the year of the car. Same with the carburator and the generator. I hope the plate you ordered works, but if you ordered by the year of your car, be advised it may not work.

Joe Lee

• Like 1

Another vote for pulling the distributor when servicing it .... otherwise you standing on your head while bent over the fender trying to very patiently work on it.

@Kilgore47 posted a link to those points awhile back .... I have a set on the way I want to try them. Also a rotor & condenser from same manufacturer.

My engine runs ok as it is, but I want spares in the glove box just in case. So I'm installing new, but putting known working as spares in the glove box if ever needed.

I'm really sold on doing a slant 6 distributor conversion down the road, run electronic ignition .... I'm now 12v instead of 6v,  but I will try these new points, condenser to see what I think.

I just do not trust modern replacement parts, my current rotor I bought a few years ago is already needing replacement .... I only drive it in the yard during paint, never long drives on the road yet .... and already wore out.

Anywho, my tuneup parts will be here in a few days, I'm pulling the distributor to install them, also give everything a quick once over, proper oil etc...

You should also plan on cleaning the point-plate pivot. It is usually a ball bearing, and the old grease gets petrified. Once disassembled, spray it all out with carb cleaner or the like. It should move freely and smoothly. 

• Like 1

The plate I got was the wrong one but the locking screw works. I replaced that screw. 

I'm looking into getting a new coil. I couldn't identify any part numbers or markings on the old coil. I could see the beginnings of a "AUT" for autolite I assume. I was wondering if it mattered if I get the exact same part # for swapping coils? Would this one work?

https://www.partsgeek.com/6f7xhy5-plymouth-special-deluxe-ignition-coil.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=1949-1950+Plymouth+Special+Deluxe+Ignition+Coil+Standard+Motor+Products+49-50+Plymouth+Ignition+Coil&cid=18313611776&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-6oBhBaEiwAHv1QvNLwqhpQpNwweSCXTDr4s_GWwDVT0W7908bnBmLYg1beQ_Q9wgh7DRoCecIQAvD_BwE

Edited by Cooper40

2 hours ago, soth122003 said:

The coil is a coil. As long as it's a 6v coil it should work just fine.

Actually...

lol, modern coil designs are a good step up from the old canister ones, but, alas, I do not believe they are setup for a 6v ignition.

• Haha 1

Sniper is right. Modern coils are better designed but almost always for 12v systems. The coils for upgrade systems like Pertronix are modern coils for 6v systems. My Pertronix sytem I bought with the upgraded Flamethrower coil failed after 3 years, but the coil is still working good in my car going on 9 years now. 

Joe Lee