Need parts identified please.

Ash84

The second picture is a sisson choke mechanism.  It's an automatic choke, you are missing the linkage that goes to the carb choke butterfly.  In the first picture you can see where someone hamboned in a manual choke setup.

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1

OK thank you that helps alot. About not being clear on description, it's been awhile since I been on here didn't really know how to put my issue in . It would only allow me to post the pictures

the sisson choke that you have is the model that fots 1949- 52 plymouth cars. This is the most expensive sisson choke because of the years it fits. The other sisson choke goes from 1937-52 but the arm is on the other side and this choke is mounted behind the carb and yours is mounted in front of the carb.  You can not reverse the arms on the early version to fit the later Plymouth version.  The later version Ply sisson choke if it is NOS will cost around $300 if you find one that is completely brand new.

I have alot of factory information on these sisson chokes and how to set them up on your car.

Rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Sniper: Most old car owners did not know how to adjust the sisson chokes and or even know how they worked.  Same issue that we have with our modern cars. Most current car owners do not do any maintenance or repairs on their own cars becasue they do not have the skill sets and or tools.

So alot of owners added ina manual choke that they could control from their drivers seat when the weather was cold and they never reattached the connection rods.

Now that some of us are mechanically inclined we now tackle the job and get literature and can also get on forums like the P15-D25 and ask questions and hopefully someone might provide some answers to get us working again.

These cars are very simple as compared to our modern cars, but i still see a lot of car owners that do not know anything about their car and take it to a mechanic to get it fixed.  The hobby is changing. The early collector did all of the work, engine rebuild, painting, interior, etc.  Now we ship the car off for someone else to do the work. But when they breakdown on the road they have no idea how anything works, so call the big hook and have it towed to the mechanic.

Just my 50 cents worth of input. I do have lots of experience and literature on these Sisson Choke and also the Sisson testing stand and adjustment tools.

Rich Hartung

I will look in the automatic choke, also where did you the heater duct mine definitely needs replaced and its made out of some type of fiber it's just falling apart.  im not a type of guy that can do it all but I will try. This car needs every this either replaced or taken apart and cleaned so I'm sure I'll have more qutions in the future. 

For what it's worth - Unless you're bent on originality, there is nothing "wrong" with an aftermarket manual choke on these cars.  I've had one on our D24 for thirty years with no issues, but the more I look at it now, the more I want to put the Sisson choke back in operation.  My installation of the manual one isn't quite of "hambone" (I like that descriptor) quality, but it's not far off.  I had replaced the Sisson choke way back when because it was not working right, but I'll be the first to admit I knew absolutely nothing about it - other than it wasn't working.  Now I know why it wasn't working and how to fix it, thanks to this Forum.