1950 P19 3-speed manual transmission seal question

streetdemon

I recently started leaking oil between my transmission and the bell housing. I ordered a gasket kit but there was no input shaft seal and I want to make sure I have all the parts before I tear into it. The only schematic breakdown of parts I could find doesn’t show a seal.

I am certain that there has to be some sort of packing or rubber seal for the input shaft. Has anyone resealed their transmission and know how I can find the seal I need or what to do? The gasket set I have is NOS and it is all flat paper style gaskets.

thanks,

Brad

Edited by streetdemon

• streetdemon changed the title to 1950 P19 3-speed manual transmission seal question

The 3 speed uses no input shaft seal.

There is no seal there.  This has been covered several times, once fairly recently. 

I put together a fairly complete reseal listing for all seals and gaskets on a 51 Plymouth three speed.

Best Gasket 5076 - gaskets
NATIONAL 8160S -  output shaft seal
Speedo adapter seal - Honda 91204-HB3-004
lower shifter shaft seal Clearwater Hydraulics #2-111Q, McMaster Carr 90025K224

Oil Seal, Speedometer Drive Pinion (chrome leather, 11/62 I.D.  37/64 in O.D.m .150 in thick)

• Like 3

This is a leak I've been fighting on my 48 equiped with a 52 overdrive. Next time I mess with it it's getting a nickel pushed into the shift rail. 

What is the best manual or source for schematics for the manual 3-speed?

I bought this one a couple years ago and it has zero information about the manual transmission. 

I have tried searching the site but I can only find bits and pieces, I like to get a copy if I can.

48FE8885-37A2-4DB4-B7D9-0CD210A566E3.png

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

This is a leak I've been fighting on my 48 equiped with a 52 overdrive. Next time I mess with it it's getting a nickel pushed into the shift rail. 

That’s four cents too much…….a penny is a perfect fit.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

That’s four cents too much…….a penny is a perfect fit.

Thanks for the correction I thought it was a nickel someone posted earlier. 

• 1 month later...

Working on my 1950 Plymouth p-19 manual transmission and am chasing down leaks. I believe I need the seals for the Lower Gearshift Selector Lever & the Gearshift Lever Shaft. (See the attached picture where I outlined the seal designations in red.)

Looking elsewhere on the forum it seems to me as if the Lower seal is either the Clearwater Hydraulics #2-111Q or the McMaster Carr 90025K224. Is this correct?

I couldn't find any info on the seal for the Gearshift Lever Shaft. 

Thanks. 

Transmission with Seals Mentioned.jpg

On 3/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, streetdemon said:

What is the best manual or source for schematics for the manual 3-speed?

I bought this one a couple years ago and it has zero information about the manual transmission. 

I have tried searching the site but I can only find bits and pieces, I like to get a copy if I can.

48FE8885-37A2-4DB4-B7D9-0CD210A566E3.png

Mine starts on page 205 for transmission info.