Looking for a part number for a locking gas/fuel cap for 1948 Chrysler 8

48 New Yorker

Does anyone have a recent part number for a locking gas cap....(not non locking). Not looking for an NOS, but a new off the shelf cap.  Gas at $5.00+ brings out the siphon creeps. 

I've looked all over the web and this forum for a part number for a locking gas cap for my '48 Chrysler New Yorker 8, but haven't found any info.  Also tried Burnbaum and Roberts, the Stant and NAPA websites as well as the other usual suspects..... no locking caps.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, 48 New Yorker said:

Does anyone have a recent part number for a locking gas cap....(not non locking). Not looking for an NOS, but a new off the shelf cap.  Gas at $5.00+ brings out the siphon creeps. 

I've looked all over the web and this forum for a part number for a locking gas cap for my '48 Chrysler New Yorker 8, but haven't found any info.  Also tried Burnbaum and Roberts, the Stant and NAPA websites as well as the other usual suspects..... no locking caps.

Thanks.

I have one and it came on my Windsor when I bought it and it looks like the original one.  But I doubt if there will be a p/n on it.  I'll check though.

So I went to rockauto and they show two vendors with locking caps.  They are vented caps, which I have found to not work so good in actually venting, I could hear my tank oil canning as it heated up or cooled off.  Had to do surgery on the cap to fix that, info in the thread below

Sniper:

Now why didn't I think of that.....my parts manual is sitting right in front of me....duh.   Was just using it to check the assembly of my hand brake.  Good call.

48 NYer,

The OEM part number for a "Fuel Tank Locking Cap" is 1117771.

Walt

According to Stant the part number for a locking cap that should work, based on the factory parts manual stating it's all the same thru 52 is 10491

Not as pretty as the older ones, but a sight cheaper.  I had to use a 51 Plymouth for the look up as it shows nothing for the Chryslers.  I would probably do the vent lobotomy on it as well.

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sniper:

Thanks for the part number on the Stant locking gas cap (10491).  I was able to locate one at Summit for $11.99.....it just arrived, fits well and it is as pictured below, metal not plastic.   I'm happy with it, but noticed the bottom edge of the stamped metal cap is kinda sharp....I'm going file it down a bit to avoid a grab'n slice.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.16.11 PM.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, Sniper said:

According to Stant the part number for a locking cap that should work, based on the factory parts manual stating it's all the same thru 52 is 10491

Not as pretty as the older ones, but a sight cheaper.  I had to use a 51 Plymouth for the look up as it shows nothing for the Chryslers.  I would probably do the vent lobotomy on it as well.

I like your term "vent lobotomy"...Good idea. ?

• Like 1