Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

can this be identified...?

Plymouthy Adams

I have here an item located in cleaning up an old outbuilding long back.  I will guess it to be an aid for reading maps....the cylinder is approx 2 1/4 inches long and 1 1/8 diameter, it has a screw on magnifier (black cap) and the bottom of the cylinder has a scale grid that is:

.001    Ft.  (0-50 scale line)

.1   m. m.   (0-150 scale line)

the items does not have a makers mark of any sort and I do not recall this from my Army training days....never was in boy scouts and not a surveyor and could be in left field for all the above.  Multiple searches reveal nothing close online.  Thanks.....

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

IMG_4584.JPG

most obvious, no maker shown as stated,  intended purpose, seems no one has a clue.....it is a bit of a mystery with no makers mark to lend a hint...on numerous occasions I have search with nothing close being displayed....

I have a memory of something close to this in an old movie where they were doing news paper layout maybe....it is an odd duck.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a loupe.  The scale part I'm not familiar with.  I have a really good quality one that's made by AGFA, in West Germany.  Not for map reading, it would be a bit much for that.  Jewlers, coin collectors/dealers, and watch repairers are among those who use them, usually with a head harness.  I used mine for inspecting immigration and other identification documents.  Counterfeiters can be so good at forging them that sometimes you can only find flaws with a loupe.

We used to use a loupe to look at photo slides.  Remember?  Those films in a cardboard frame that were stuck into a projector, to show still pictures?  For sorting the slides, one would put them on a backlit translucent surface, and look through the loupe.  Return with us now to the thrilling days of yesteryear. 

philatelists loup? Glass rather than plastic?  My father used something similar when studying topographical maps, of which he had hundreds.  He taught me how to read maps with it his had a small lanyard attached.  Could also be for the guys who studied reconascince  photos.

Edited by greg g