New to me ‘53 Coronet

Mark D

Hey all,

Picked this car up the other night and am looking for some advice on what to do next.  Obviously the motor is stuck and the prior owner has tried (not sure how much) to free it. Upon further inspection of the cylinder walls I’m not sure that just freeing the motor is going to be the thing that get her running again. I’ve got a line on a p20 218 motor... is it a simple pull and replace or am I better off to hunt down a dodge 230? Doesn’t pear from the underside that this is a fluid drive, did these come with a standard three speed clutched trans?

appreciate the advice.

Mark D

3787828E-1527-48B8-98FF-91660F2656A0.jpeg

FBA5FA03-AF24-46B4-840D-0F3193E109F5.jpeg

If it was a made in the US Dodge then it should have a 23" long engine.........if made in Canada then it should have the 25" Chrysler Desoto engine...........measure it then use that info to determine what you have.........andyd   

39 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

Canadian built used the 25 inch block I believe. American built used the 23 inch. In 53 I think you could get a 3 speed without fluid drive. Is fluid drive called out anywhere on the car?

There’s no fluid drive nomenclature on the car, just Coronet script on the front fenders. Here’s a shot of the trans and the carb. Note the lack of solenoids on the trans and the missing kickdown wiring on the carb. Carb is stamped D6V1, reports out as correct for the year from the Carter catalog. Doesn’t appear to have been screwed around with much in the wiring, I can’t find anything missing or cut off.

96BC40E4-CEAC-4B3C-903E-20414362C3EC.jpeg

97CEA0CC-1A6A-40E2-B83D-FD9FACB23C6E.jpeg

FCD430EA-27A4-4D50-8E80-55633CCB5D51.jpeg

Edited by Mark D

That's not the easiest pic to ID the tranny, but I think it is indeed a 3 speed manual.

Does yours kind of resemble this 1953 Plymouth 3 speed manual tranny seen below?

P20 is 1950 Plymouth, correct? Likely a pretty easy swap. You should be able to locate a running engine for far less than the cost to rebuild. Depends on your long-term plans with the car I guess.

IMG_5012.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

How deep is the bell housing? That's the big clue for fluid drive. The fluid drive housing is substantially deeper. 

I also don't think I'd give up on the original just yet. Pull the timing chain and see what's stuck. There is a lot of gunk in the one bore you pictured but nothing looks dead 

• Thanks 1

Get a 3/4 inch dowel. Tap the front and rear of the top of the piston, with a dead blow hammer. This will rock them slightly on the wrist pin. Might free up the rings enough to allow your penatrant to seep in a little more. 

• Thanks 1