Two different radio grilles for a P15

BobT-47P15

The radio grilles are the same, with one exception......the center bar running from side to side. One is smooth, the other is ribbed.

100_7620.jpg

The dash is from a 1947 model according to the i d tag on the door frame.

The trim is smooth.

So....I wonder from what year is the one with the ribs. The ribs match the bottom of the chrome below the speedometer and the lower trim on the glove box door. At least they do on my car.....which is a 47, and I think has original dash chrome.

Another Plymouth mystery.......

Anybody have an answer???

Just noticed a guy selling a grille on ebay.....says it came off a 48 model.....is smooth style.......

a9d6_1_b.JPG

My 1948 Dodge D25 Special Deluxe Club Coupe has the radio grille like the one on the left with the centre bar smooth. The vertical bars look a bit like they are ribbed but it is just the way they are pressed with a slightly concave dip and are not ribbed. Dash was originally woodgrained like the Plymouths but I painted it gray when I did the car many years ago. Would eventually like to go back to woodgrain but don't know if I really want to go to the trouble of pulling the dash.

Dodgedash.jpg

I've been noticing a few little differences in some of the parts I've been working with. The 1 I parted out I believe to be a very early model. It had a door lock with the non figure 8 cover on the pass side and a plug on the drivers side. Looked factory. Now when working with the dash I noticed that one has 2 holes down towards the bottom outer edge of the curved section that my other 2 dashes doesnt have. One of the holes still has a woodgrained plug in it so I know its a factory hole. Perhaps at first the holes for convertible tops were on all dashes until they realized that was a waste?

Bob,I don't know the answer to your question,but I sure could use a nice Special Deluxe button to use on my 48 if you or anyone else has one to sell.

I also need unpitted dash chrome.

The only real good Special Deluxe round emblem I have is in the car. The one on the left in the picture is in need of repainting. As you can see, the right one had no emblem when I got it at the Springfield swap meet recently.

I buy these items when I can to save for if I ever get another P15 and need the particular thing. What I really need to do is get up some play money and then go for the N O S items that appear on ebay from time to time....and put together a real nice dash. My stuff is good daily driver quality on the car.

100_5877.jpg

Went out to the garage.....looked at the grille with the ribbed piece....the clock hole on both grilles are the same. There are holes in the speaker screen for the round Plym emblem--it's just missing.

The ribbed piece will come off....held on by 3 tabs thru holes in that grille.

I guess a person could add that ribbed part by drilling the holes.

Could find no part number on back of the grille.

Always fun to find something different on these cars.

100_7733.jpg

Ed....the top switch on the P15s is on the right end of the dash, not down below. What model Plym are you looking at? I suspect they did relocate the top control at some point.

Perhaps the deal with only one door lock goes back to the time when they thought it was safer for people to exit the car on the right, or curb side. So they only put a lock on that side.

this thread was cause for me to go look at mine real close..it is a 48 sedan and it does not have the ribbed bar across the radio grille....as the 41 is toatally different, the 42 has the Plymouth emblem affixed..this is either a early rendition or modification..there is a ribbed piece for the glovebox..could it be that this is just a second one of them pieces affixed here yb some modifier..??????? just guess folks...did not want to unwrap all my stuff in the box..maybe someone can do a measurement...

Hi Mike......that plant location thing is one possibility. I don't really care which is which, I guess. Just find it interesting there were differences. I compared the strip from the grille to the strip on the glove box....grille piece is notably shorter. So--nobody moved a part from one to the other.

toggle2.jpg

Next.....if you notice in Mikes picture, the vertical ribs in the radio grille rather match the vertical ribs below the radio and on the ash tray. Ribs on the ash tray line up with ribs on the clock delete cover. It seems the folks who designed these cars gave such things a bit of thought.

On some of the "street rod" old Plymouths, they do away with all that nice (in my opinion) dash trim, and wind up with something like this...which is in a P15.

be46_3.JPG

Rather hard to beat the old Plyms and Dodges original stuff.

617d_12.JPG

wam083.jpg

OR, DeSoto and Chrysler.

nat873.jpg

100_6574.jpg