Emergency brake help

Hello all. I'm new here so please be patient. I just got a nice 1950 B2C. It has a 230 in it with dual singles. The problem is, they previous owner removed the emergency brake, and I'm not sure what parts I need, how and where it goes, etc... The parts all appear to be in place on the tranny. Drum is there, brake band, lining, springs etc, but no linkage to the cab and no lever in the cab to apply.

Any help, pictures or advice is greatly appreciated!

I have a bunch of videos on Youtube.

You'll have to check through some to see if you can find shots of the ebrake.

I don't have any images right now, so its best I can do right now. :)

48D

• Like 2

Since we're on this topic, can somebody explain to me how the operation of the emergency brake is supposed to work?  Mine hasn't worked correctly since I got my truck.  The pull handle under the dash pulls out, and it rotates, but it does not lock.

-Bill

Since we're on this topic, can somebody explain to me how the operation of the emergency brake is supposed to work?  Mine hasn't worked correctly since I got my truck.  The pull handle under the dash pulls out, and it rotates, but it does not lock.

-Bill

there should be some ratchets that hold it in place.  I'd take it off and look on the bottom to see if they are missing or frozen in the wrong position.

there should be some ratchets that hold it in place.  I'd take it off and look on the bottom to see if they are missing or frozen in the wrong position.

I see the ratchet grooves along the top side of the shaft. However, the metal clips I'm seeing don't seem to move at all. Do they fall into the grooves when you pull the handle out and you rotate it to release? Here's some photos I just snapped:

post-8264-0-98378400-1467337619_thumb.jpg

post-8264-0-77732700-1467337645_thumb.jpg

Your handbrake is slightly different to the one in my 52 truck but the working principle is the same. The 2 metal clips drop into the grooves to stop the shaft in place. Maybe those small clips just need to be cleaned and freed up?

post-3915-0-55503200-1467407385_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-43945000-1467407612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

I see the ratchet grooves along the top side of the shaft. However, the metal clips I'm seeing don't seem to move at all. Do they fall into the grooves when you pull the handle out and you rotate it to release? Here's some photos I just snapped:

tmp_31493-ebrake2-1360005506.jpg

tmp_31493-ebrake3-954926990.jpg

Yes those are supposed to fall into the slots. Free them up and you should be good to go.

Thanks guys, I think I've got it. Everything is there with the exception of the cable and the in-cab parts. Should be an easy fix. The video and parts breakdown were great. So now the question is, I have the under the dash pull handle, any ideas where to get one?

Ok guys, thanks for the assist here, but I need some more info. My 1950 has an Offenhauser dual intake with twin carbs. The rear carb is fairly close to the firewall, right where the Emergency brake should come out of the cab. I think this may be why the hand brake was removed in the first place. So all this said, can someone send me a pic of how far the hand brake protrudes out past the firewall into the engine compartment? A good measurement would help as well. Thanks again for all the help!

I have the same setup, the e-brake housing sticks out about 5 1/8", just about a half inch near the outer part of the rear carb, I do not have any other internal parts in the housing  so I do not have the ebrake set up, email me and I'll send a pict-     baksu@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Mark, I've seen the brake handle stick out pretty far in the cab on some models. The one I got only sticks out about an inch and a half. I got all the parts, installed them the other night and I now have a functioning hand brake. I installed the frame bracket a little further forward than the original location, and it holds the cable away from the rear carb just enough. It looks like it was made that way! I gotta thank 48Dodger for the videos on YouTube. If you haven't checked them out, they are fantastic!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, RobWood said:

Is their another classified section? This one has like 3 items. I need the same parts

there is a classifieds section on the forum now where we are to put all parts request to buy and sell or trade.

image.png.1e3a4b42dca99c3fb7ab85839bee0ff9.png

• Like 1