Electric fuel pump mounting locations.

CowboyConnor

I have an electric pump that is like the above pump that I mounted on the outside of the frame just forward of the "B" pillar. This location is easy to get to if the pump or filter needs to be replaced or removed completely. The pump works great to get fuel to the carb for starting ease . Have another car with a  Carter pump that is mounted on the inside of the frame and sets vertical just forward of the axle. I like the one mounted on the outside of the frame best.

Edited by suntennis
  • Like 1

I installed a Carter rotary pump (6V) in my non-Chrysler car for the purpose of priming as well, and began having trouble with running out of fuel under heavy loads, like extended acceleration or climbing hills. The problem would occur in exactly the same location on an often-traveled road. I could either back out of the throttle or switch the electric on to resume travel. As it turns out, the mechanical pump is able to "pull" fuel through the rotary pump but only at a much reduced volume......obviously not enough to keep it running under those conditions.

At the suggestion of another, I plumbed a bypass circuit around the Electric with a .5 psi check valve (note the decimal) in the bypass line so that the mechanical could draw through the electric but the electric couldn't pump fuel backward toward the tank. It worked perfectly and the problem has never repeated under any operating conditions.

Just my two bits worth.  Oh, the check was available from McMaster-Carr for about $15in either F/F or M/F thread configurations.

Frank

• Like 2

IMG 6317

I was able to mount mine above and in front of the fuel tank where the trunk curves down. But yes, closer to the tank the better. Include a filter between tank and inlet to the pump. Use fuel grade line made for today's gas.

it should be close to the tank as possible, in a position not to snag and cause damage to pump or rupture the line, away from shock movement and also any heats source.  (exhaust, should not be a prob on stock but duals a possibility)   I also suggest isolation mounts be use to prevent the transfer of noise.  If isolation mount is used, do run a good ground wire to the unit.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I think it's also worth mentioning that an electric situated between the tank and a stock mechanical pump could cause a dangerous situation if it's used as a back-up for a failed mechanical unit. If the original fails due to a diaphragm rupture (one of the usual causes of failure) and the electric is turned on, there is a good possibility that it will pump fuel past the rupture and into the engine crankcase.

Just food for thought.....

F

• Like 1

I think it's also worth mentioning that an electric situated between the tank and a stock mechanical pump could cause a dangerous situation if it's used as a back-up for a failed mechanical unit. If the original fails due to a diaphragm rupture (one of the usual causes of failure) and the electric is turned on, there is a good possibility that it will pump fuel past the rupture and into the engine crankcase.

Just food for thought.....

F

Or blow gasoline out the weep holes and into the engine bay. I never was in favor of keeping the mechanical pump in the loop. I pull them and plate the hole.

Earl

• Like 2

I mounted mine on the outside of the frame straight down from the driver door handle. I also have one on my Morris Minor high on the firewall that works fine that I mounted when I didnt know better but they should be mounted low.

I'm also a fan of the filter between the tank and pump.....best to get the crud out before it goes through any pump. I use a typical spin-on filter base with 3/4-16 threaded mount and a Baldwin BF-954, typically spec'd for Diesel applications but compatible with gasolines including E15. I started with NAPA 3386 (WIX 33386) but discovered (the hard way) that they are as good as no filter at all due to a manufacturing flaw that allows fuel to "short-circuit" from inlet to outlet without passing through the filter media. Took back a whole danged case of those when I found that.

Frank

• Like 1