To redo the redone engine or no?

CowboyConnor

He said they should have done it right the first time and are going to sleeve it.  I have yet to talk $ with them but ill let yall know when I hear.  They are good guys so I doubt it will cost much at all

Glad to hear that. From the situation that sounds like the best solution.

All's well that ends well,    and nothing runs nicer than a good Plymouth six.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you give us an update once you get it installed and running.

Finally got the engine back this past friday and am very happy with the way it turned out.  #6 is sleeved and pretty and she is ready to go back in.  Thought you all would want an update.

Wow... you gold plated it too !!!

Looking good!

Aluminum (silver) was the most often found color.  I always felt that it looked cheap so I took to painting my blocks with

Pewter Gray Metallic or similar automotive  colors.  Looks good, cleans easily and does not burn off any faster than engine enamels.

Yep thats it!  Definitely aluminum colored.  Its original so I think I'll leave it until heaven forbid it needs something major.

I believe all its had is a valve job.  Turned over 69,000 miles just yesterday evening.

Can't wait to see that Plymouth running.

I was told by the shop I took it to that the engine was originally gold once they dipped it. Is that odd??? I figured it'd be regular silver. My engine rebuild was major ($3900 major) enough I didn't even care what color it was. If it was hot pink but ran, I'd be happy.

I was told by the shop I took it to that the engine was originally gold once they dipped it. Is that odd??? I figured it'd be regular silver. My engine rebuild was major ($3900 major) enough I didn't even care what color it was. If it was hot pink but ran, I'd be happy.

YIKES! What did they do for 3900?

• Like 1

Before I started working on my truck some eight years ago, I asked a quality auto mechanic what he would estimate a complete rebuild my 218. His answer then was at least $3,000.  That's when I decided to learn how to do it myself. At $80 / hr the bill climbs fast!  

Before I started working on my truck some eight years ago, I asked a quality auto mechanic what he would estimate a complete rebuild my 218. His answer then was at least $3,000.  That's when I decided to learn how to do it myself. At $80 / hr the bill climbs fast!  

That was to do the whole thing,including taking it out and reinstalling it,boring it,buying new pistons,new valves,valve springs,oil pump,turning the crank,and even filling it with anti-freeze after installing new radiator hoses and thermostat,right?

Lots of times people can get by with just new rings and bearings,and grinding the valves. If you can pull your engine,deliver it to the machine shop,pick it up,and then re-install it yourself,there is no reason it should cost so much.  I had a machine shop put together a 412 SBC with Dart 2 heads,stainless valves,high performance springs,roller rockers,radical cam,new lifters,.060 overbore,special order Keith Black pistons,gapless rings,gear drive timing set,high volume oil pump,balanced crank,rods,and pistons,straightened and balanced 350 rods,about 10 years ago,and it came to less than 3 grand. Out of that the heads were more than a grand,and the balancing was done by a NASCAR shop.

Granted,I pulled and reinstalled it myself and did some of the cleaning and assembly myself,but compared to a stock rebuild on a flat 6 Plymouth it was complex with aftermarket parts and hand work.

3900 seems like a lot of money to me for a stock rebuild on a flat 6 Mopar.

Knuckleharley, yes his price was for an engine I delivered and picked up.  I did as you said put in new pistons, ground the valves, squared the head, new electrical, etc., and have a very sound engine. I am now doing my 2nd and LAST engine. There are fish that were born for me to catch and eat and I intend to start doing my part when this car is completed.  But it is hard work and takes a lot of knowledge or a lot of time reading the manual or both. 

Today the distributor, with new points and condenser, water pump, new seals in the bottom and the pan and other small items and it should be close to starting. 

I am now doing my 2nd and LAST engine. There are fish that were born for me to catch and eat and I intend to start doing my part when this car is completed.

Good for you! Life is for enjoying,not obsessing.