best time of year

DLK

If it didn't mean winter was around the corner this is the best time for weekend drives with the Wayfarer.  Last Saturday we took the 8 and 5 year old grandkids (seatbelted in legally) for about an 80 mile trip through the countryside with stops at a couple county parks and a pizza place.  I can't tell you how nice it is after years of work to have the car run and stop so smoothly and not leave a cloud of smoke at every intersection.  I was really frustrated how poorly it ran after the rebuild and in the end the problem was simple, it just needed new spark plug wires.  Since putting them in it runs like a top.  My only regret is I didn't bring the camera so didn't get any pictures of Gabby and Austin in my backseat.  I guess we will have to do it again before winter closes in. The wiring to the back of the car is in bad shape and for three years I have planned to rewire it but again I guess maybe next year.  

If it didn't mean winter was around the corner this is the best time for weekend drives with the Wayfarer.  Last Saturday we took the 8 and 5 year old grandkids (seatbelted in legally) for about an 80 mile trip through the countryside with stops at a couple county parks and a pizza place.  I can't tell you how nice it is after years of work to have the car run and stop so smoothly and not leave a cloud of smoke at every intersection.  I was really frustrated how poorly it ran after the rebuild and in the end the problem was simple, it just needed new spark plug wires.  Since putting them in it runs like a top.  My only regret is I didn't bring the camera so didn't get any pictures of Gabby and Austin in my backseat.  I guess we will have to do it again before winter closes in. The wiring to the back of the car is in bad shape and for three years I have planned to rewire it but again I guess maybe next year.  

post-339-0-71434400-1443543432_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

kope49, that is neat and a great memory.

just a thought, if you forget the camera again, just run a red light at one of those camera traffic control intersections and smile. :D

• Like 1

hope the grand kids enjoyed it as much as you did.

I promised them for a couple years I would get seat belts in the back seat.  Finally in July this year I did, and they love riding in the car. :)  If the weather holds out we will do an encore ride Sunday the 4th - with the camera this time.

I promised them for a couple years I would get seat belts in the back seat.  Finally in July this year I did, and they love riding in the car. :)  If the weather holds out we will do an encore ride Sunday the 4th - with the camera this time.

I'll await my invite :D

This is exactly what I want to do next year here in Germany when the Wayfarer is done. With one difference... with my own kids.... Can you tell me how you installed the seatbelts to the car?

Thanks

André

Btw: Nice picture.

The seat belts were easy to install.  All I had to do was remove the rear seat cushions and drill holes through the floorboards.  The belts come with reinforcing pieces that cover the area around the holes.  I did jack the car up so I could slide myself under to put the reinforcements on the bolts.  I bought the belts on Amazon.

I put belts in the back of mine too. I got my kits at Julianos. My only complaint out of the whole package was poorly fitting washers. They were probably the correct size but they make them so poorly now you can usually go 1 size under and get a good fit.

I too like this time of year to give the cars a good run...

Had my 1950 NY Newport hardtop, 1952 Belvedere hardtop and my 1948 Chrysler T&C all out for a good run.

Endless days of sun.

post-302-0-80366600-1443663361_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-01517000-1443663512_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-19111900-1443663618_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I had seat belts installed in 2008 when I had the upholstery redone.  I figured that by the time I was too old to drive, seatbelts would be mandatory for any vehicle on the road regardless of age.  Besides, my sisters-in-law decreed that their children would not be allowed to ride in any vehicle that did not at least have lap belts.  I've got two boys of my own now, and car seats for both go in the back.  Sometimes my oldest and I will just go for a drive for a burger or a haircut.  This time of year is always depressing for me.  I have a plot in the community garden and pulled out my plants yesterday to get my tomato cages out before they close for the season next week.  IMHO, they could wait another month, but that's just me.  It broke my heart to see so many green tomatoes all over the ground.  It won't be much longer and there will be salt on the roads.

Just as most of you are getting ready tp park your cars for the winter, I am doing the opposite. I am charging my battery and dusting the car off. Down here in Florida it is too hot to drive a car without air conditioning! It breaks my heart every time I go past the car in the garage knowing I can't drive it.

Ironically it was just the opposite when I lived in New York. The car sat all winter and was only driven during the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as most of you are getting ready tp park your cars for the winter, I am doing the opposite. I am charging my battery and dusting the car off. Down here in Florida it is too hot to drive a car without air conditioning! It breaks my heart every time I go past the car in the garage knowing I can't drive it.

Ironically it was just the opposite when I lived in New York. The car sat all winter and was only driven during the summer.

If it was my call (it is not) we would spend 5 months in Florida or Arizona and seven here in Minnesota and I could drive the Dodge year round. :)  But my wife probably has it right - five months away from my grandkids would be tough even for me.  I took my last drive through Washington County over the weekend we had a great year for fall color!  The car is going down for the winter November 4th.

post-339-0-25763200-1445975299_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-08964700-1445975312_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-52124200-1445975326_thumb.jpg

• Like 1