Daily driver.........first impressions.

Jeff Balazs

Jeff, you must have flunked anatomy, one can only freeze the family jewels off once!

Since when have you Guys been living anywhere cold? Nebraska, heck that's balmy compared to this place, ask anyone from Grand Forks ND

Paul......If it feels like it?..... then does it really matter if they actually fall off?

You didn't answer my question in post #171?......... it makes me wonder if you did have something to do with that dribble.

Back on topic. Oil filter has been reconnected. New fittings. No leaks. Yeah!

Next little project will be a saddle blanket seat cover so Buddy the dog can get a grip when riding shotgun. Important stuff.

Jeff

Here is something for Jeff and PP, the 2 Californians.

Just took the trusty ole Fargo for a spin, drove into town, drove around town down Main Street etc.

This is not an overly long excursion, maybe 20 miles total.

It is a very dark and cloudy start of the evening, 33f, the odd flurry , and a northwest wind of 11 mph.

Heater is going in the truck, temp is 160 steady, oil pressure is 50-55 on the highway, and 40 at idle.

Highway was driving about 60, lots of commuter traffic, and lots of Deer running around.

Just thought I would let you Guys know, even though it's cold and dark, can still play with the old truck...

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post.!!

That way way most  Ca. residents can get the experience of very cold etc. without actually being in it!

B)

Thanks for the post.!!

That way way most  Ca. residents can get the experience of very cold etc. without actually being in it!

B)

Okay, well thanx for the pleasure of facilitating this pleasure to you guys, with my pain.........

• Like 1

Truth be told-

We NEED several (at least) Cold-WET winters to keep this state functional and prosperous!  We need our farmers as much--correction-- MORE than our computer geeks! ;)

Hope a pipe line from Alaska will be built to transport water-Not Oil!  :rolleyes:

DJ

• Like 1

I just got through hauling my heaviest load in the truck so far. I'd say about 800# of tree branch's. Boy does it ride nice with a load in it. :D I even scuffed up the bed some. I won't post any photos as I don't want to send Hank into anitrucklactic shock. It is cool putting the old beast back to work. :wub: I think it kinda likes it.

Paul......at this rate it will have some work related patina in no time at all.

Jeff

• Like 4

I just got through hauling my heaviest load in the truck so far. I'd say about 800# of tree branch's. Boy does it ride nice with a load in it. :D I even scuffed up the bed some. I won't post any photos as I don't want to send Hank into anitrucklactic shock. It is cool putting the old beast back to work. :wub: I think it kinda likes it.

Paul......at this rate it will have some work related patina in no time at all.

Jeff

I think I need to make a Blanket Statement here: I'll think of something...

IMG_20151016_170117_7081_zps0hhhqrjl.jpg

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Actually Hank I hauled another big nasty load in it yesterday. I will tell you what it really has responded well to having a job to do. I can't get over how nice it rides with a good load in it. It did get a few more scuffs in it though. ;) But then I had it full to the brim.

Nothing I have ever owned has made it through without a few blemishes. This old work truck won't be any different. And that is just fine with me. How better to use one than to put it back to work?

I have said all along that I wasn't ever going to take it to car shows. The big show is bringing a derelict back to life and having it do the things it was meant to do in the first place. And so far it's a winner in my book. Scratches and all.

Jeff

• Like 1

After only 34 years, my truck has become what I can call a daily driver. My truck spent many years as a overworked, neglected roofing truck. The PO thought nothing of throwing out the rear fenders, cutting the running boards off just behind the cab, bolting makeshift tool boxes either side of the newly created wheel well with a sheet of steel bridging the gap to cover the tire. The smartest thing he did was cutting a portion of the 90 degree bend of the low bed side just above the axle so they could load more tar. The roof rack buggered up the stake pockets. All I'm saying is that I respect my truck and whenever I can I try to be smart and make use of either a sheet of plywood, a tarp or blanket. No trailer queen here, just don't want to tell myself "could've, should've, would've.

Hank

Edited by HanksB3B

Jeff, a few scratches don't concern me either.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Paul........If it is OK with you I will refrain from using this truck as a cooking implement. I got to draw the line somewhere. Besides Tim already has a BBQ version and I hear you will be using your tailgate to cook up flapjacks this year.

Jeff

• Like 1

Moderator.....somehow Hanks response got labelled as best answer. Clearly there is no best answer......how do we change this?

I guess I could close out the thread as I am past first impressions. ;)

Jeff

well, you are SOL not much I can do about that!

Moderator.....somehow Hanks response got labelled as best answer. Clearly there is no best answer......how do we change this?

Jeff

Best answer can only be selected by the thread starter and nobody else. On all the threads I have started I have never used that option so I don't know if once selected it can be unselected or changed should a better answer come along. Guess I could start an off topic thread looking for the best answer to an unasked question and test the system :eek:

Dear Jeff,

Jeff

Ha Ha 

Huh? It is gone now. Guess I will have to stop teasing him.........                    :rolleyes:  ya right... like that is going to happen.

x-flagpole_zpsc743d4b0.jpeg

Jeff as a small child (please try to be understanding)

Bart_zpsi0wvdd3u.png

ha, ha Hank rules ....mess with the Ram...you get the horns.

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 2

:lol: It's OK Hank.  I had to find out at a young age that if you are going to dish it out....you have to be able to take it too.

I thought it was being pretty nice (for me) to not post post any potentially disturbing photos (for you) of the big 'ol nasty load I had in the truck. Next time I may not be so considerate. :D I will say though that the truck has responded quite well to being thrashed a bit. Must be the "masochist" in Mopar ? It just keeps running better and better. You should try it. Just throw a load in it and go. And don't worry about a few scuffs in the paint......the truck won't mind......might even come alive.

I had an interesting conversation this weekend in the Home Depot parking lot. A couple of fellows walked up and asked about the truck. They were originally from back east Kentucky and Penn State. They both said they had never seen one of these old Dodges around here but growing up where they did they were very familiar with them. Neither one of them could believe I was using it on a daily basis. I said why not? There is not much to actually break or fall apart and everything on it can be repaired. The older fellow smiled and said you know you are right.......maybe I will start looking for one here.

Jeff

• Like 1

:lol: It's OK Hank.  I had to find out at a young age that if you are going to dish it out....you have to be able to take it too.

I thought it was being pretty nice (for me) to not post post any potentially disturbing photos (for you) of the big 'ol nasty load I had in the truck. Next time I may not be so considerate. :D I will say though that the truck has responded quite well to being thrashed a bit. Must be the "masochist" in Mopar ? It just keeps running better and better. You should try it. Just throw a load in it and go. And don't worry about a few scuffs in the paint......the truck won't mind......might even come alive.

I had an interesting conversation this weekend in the Home Depot parking lot. A couple of fellows walked up and asked about the truck. They were originally from back east Kentucky and Penn State. They both said they had never seen one of these old Dodges around here but growing up where they did they were very familiar with them. Neither one of them could believe I was using it on a daily basis. I said why not? There is not much to actually break or fall apart and everything on it can be repaired. The older fellow smiled and said you know you are right.......maybe I will start looking for one here.

Jeff

Right from the start you decided what level of body work and paint quality your truck was going to get, I respect that. I'm glad you are enjoying your truck Jeff and the best part of it is just like you say when someone comes up to you and admires your truck. Once some fellow came up to me and said "We had a truck like that back on our farm in Indiana  we used it for years and years for every farm chore you could imagine. One day dad dug a big hole in the ground and buried it " (Tim E's guessed response.... "You remember just where that hole was ?)   

Another man, a school bus driver back in Chicago pleaded with me to start the engine and said "I remember the sound of that flathed so well I just have to hear it again"  

Our trucks were meant to work all 87hp and 220lbs of torque..Whether it was for hauling childred to school on icy streets, or hauling timber back in the day. I have to laugh at how people have to turn plywood on it's side to load it into one of those Cadillac Escalade ? Pickups...me I just unhook my tailgate and slide the 4x8 sheets in. For me. six and a half foot bed and an 18 inch tailgate... 8'-0" perfect!

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 1

These things were made to work! Under the shinny paint and wax, it's still a truck! My truck rides nice with some weight in the bed also. I feel that since having some having some weight in there, it has softened the ride, working off some of the rust between the springs. I like all the pictures on here of people using their trucks, and I really like how you put your truck together for daily use. 

post-3516-0-64419900-1447784640_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-08187500-1447784643_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-35804800-1447784645_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These things were made to work! Under the shinny paint and wax, it's still a truck! My truck rides nice with some weight in the bed also. I feel that since having some having some weight in there, it has softened the ride, working off some of the rust between the springs. I like all the pictures on here of people using their trucks, and I really like how you put your truck together for daily use. 

Exactly Joe! :D I have noticed that about the springs as well. I have mine coated with PB Blaster Corrosion Stop and they just keep getting smoother and quieter.

Seeing your photos (very cool btw) reminded me I don't have a hitch on mine yet. I will be adding that at some point as I want to be able to tow something .like a small fishing skiff or a teardrop. These old trucks may not be hot rods but they can do a decent job as a work truck if kept within a reasonable limit. I am definitely enjoying the experience of putting it back to daily work.

Jeff

I love to see these old trucks being driven and used. Mine's getting close to being a daily driver, and it'll get plenty of use as a project vehicle. Btw, my granddad used to carry an anvil in the back of his '52 Dodge for a smoother ride.