1949 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout

Branded

Im a new member to the forum and also a new owner of a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout. Im not new to old cars, I've been playing with them for 40 years. With that being said can someone help me decipher the serial number and engine number.

Serial # 37038755

Engine# D30193223

Thanks for any information you can share with me.

Thanks again Dave

Edited by Branded

nothing really to decipher...you have your serial number that denotes a Detroit built car  and then the D30 signifies the engine is a 1949 and the sequence number is 193223 Though the Wayfarer is actually a D29 model, all the engines for 1949 Dodge will be stamped as a D30 with D30-1001 being first number in sequence

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks for the information. I was hoping the numbers would reveal more information. I just brought the 49 Sportabout home Sunday so I'll probably have more questions as I dig into the car.

Dave

Serial number was assigned on the assembly line as body chassis and engine came together, and is how Chrysler Corp officially tracked the car.  The engine number was assigned independently when the engine was assembled.  The number on your ownership documents should reflect one of those numbers unless the car has had an engine swap. Some licensing/titling agencies used the engine number some others the serial number.  Here in NY you can find either or depending on the county it was registered in.

There should be a repeat of the original engine number stamped into the left frame rail kickup behind the wheel.  Those roadsters were pretty low production vehicles. wire wheel work will probably be needed to reveal it.

If it has fluid drive (should say so on the Dash or stamped into the rear bumper) make sure your parking brake works or you chock the tires.  Engine off = no compression braking,

Welcome and good luck 

Edited by greg g

The Kentucky title I received with the car reflects the engine number. I'm going thru the required paperwork know with the Indiana BMV to use the serial number located in the door jamb. Thinking if the the engine is ever replaced there will still be numbers that match the title. The car does have the Fluid Drive and the emergency brake does need some adjustment. I'll have to do a search of the forum to find out how to perform the adjustment.

Dave

Searching the forum is a great way to start advancing your learning curve on this car.  I recommend buying a repair manual also.  Keep in mind when looking at info on the 49 Dodges that the Wayfarer is built on the smaller chassis and shares it components with Plymouth of the era  one key point is the brakes are smaller than the sister Dodges of the year

while modern ethanol enriched fuels are not friendly with the older rubber of the fuel systems...sitting unused and especially if dry for an extended amount of time does even more damage and usually causes instant damage when reactivated...ensure if possible to ascertain if your replacement repair parts are ethanol friendly...

At present they are not taking new orders, but after November you should be able to send your serial number to the Chrysler Historical Collection and get a copy of the "build card". That will show the paint and trim codes, options and dealer the car was delivered to.

• Like 1

Thanks Tod, this old car has really sparked my interest. I've always been more interested in older cars with updated drive trains but the more I'm looking at the Runabout I'm leaning on keeping it on the original side.

I have also found a body tag on the firewall stamped on it is 5070R. Does this tell me anything.

Thanks Dave

Car isn't a high dollar restoration, pant job is average so is interior. I call it a nice driver, main thing is there's no rust. From what I had found on others was rust is very common in the rocker boxes and floors.

Dave

There are 2 adjustments on the parking brake.  One to shorten the cable  (usually sufficient to address minor slippage) and another that recenters the band concentrically in the event you really need to crank the cable to get it to grip.

Nice stance on a hard to find model in good shape!

Good luck and get that brake working perfectly, avoid parking on inclines declines or ANY clines!

I had a D29 and used to keep a 12" 2x4 behind my seat even when the brake system was reconditioned. Better safe

than chasing a car down the driveway. Have fun, thats a looker.

Doc.

Nice car.......and in my favorite color, yellow.    I see this car has rollup windows and wing windows.   As you may know, the early Sportabouts had plastic, removable door windows and no

wing windows.......and were called a "roadster".    After a while, they decided those windows were not the best idea they ever had, and switched to the system you have.  Now, the car is

referred to as a "convertible".  

I had a 1950 convertible back in the 1970s, and initially called it a roadster, but the old timers eventually corrected me.  

Mine had a back seat that had been invented by a previous owner.

DSC05842.jpg

a real roadster........

1949-Dodge-Wayfarer-9-4-ext1-640x360.jpg

Google 1949 Dodge Wayfarer roadster (or convertible) and you should find pics of other ones.