I'll find out just what I bought this weekend

austinsailor

Talked to a guy with a 49 Plymouth on craigslist a couple months ago. As I recall, it didn't look rusted or beat up, but the head was off the motor. Guy wanted $1000. After talking about the car for a while, I told him all I could offer was $500 but if he had no takers be sure to call me before crushing it.

Got a call tonight. No takers, do I want it for $500? He hated to junk it.

I'll go get it Saturday. Wonder what I've gotten myself into this time?!

• Like 1

Thanks for saving it. I offered to do the same with a 1955 DeSoto Fireflite sedan (at $1,000) and thankfully somebody else got me off the hook.

Or maybe not thankfully. It was probably a more solid car than I've ended up with in the '49 Chrysler. Though I'd already bought the Chrysler anyway.

(Shrug)

OK, here it is!  (Drum roll!)

Not the most cherry car around, but far from the worst. Only rust through is next to the trunk, left side. Trunk is solid, doors, fenders. Drivers floor has a small place rusted through.

post-459-0-11236200-1386459633_thumb.jpg

Front is straight, fit is good.

post-459-0-11735700-1386459808_thumb.jpg

Inside is in need of a bit of touchup!

post-459-0-24669600-1386459850_thumb.jpg

Sides are straight

post-459-0-93393900-1386459956_thumb.jpg

Rear is good.

Came with a good title, and even better, sometime before 1985 when the title was issued, the VIN was changed from the motor number to the body serial number.

More on the next post.

Gene

• Like 1

post-459-0-86175000-1386460177_thumb.jpg

Sides are straight.

post-459-0-16608800-1386460212_thumb.jpg

No dents, a couple stainless pieces are missing.

post-459-0-78685700-1386460258_thumb.jpg

The one rust spot showing through.

post-459-0-45471100-1386460298_thumb.jpg

Not part of the car, but this sure makes loading easier.

When I put a class 5 hitch (2 1/2") on my 2005 Dodge dually it went under the factory 2", leaving me a place to slip in my winch in the original 2" hitch and the ball mount in the new 2 1/2" heavy hitch. When I bought the 2012 and got the new Reece class 5, it was massive, rated for 18,000 lbs, but you remove the factory hitch. Left me with no place for the winch. Yesterday I came up with the idea to get a new 24' receiver, use it like a ball mount in the 2 1/2" hitch, then mount another short receiver on top of that, then put the ball mount in the end of the whole mess. Presto - hitch and winch.

• Like 2

looks good to me.

At this rate you better buy some lottery tickets too.

If you find a parts car that is a 50 Coronet 2 door for 5 bigs I will  be interested too

I have a 49 Dodge parts car if something you need crosses over,,,its a 4 door also.

Well, my carma must be good.

Our local old time machine shop is nearby and I usually go by and clean his lot with my snowplow as a favor. After all, he always drops whatever he's doing and takes care of my problems right on the spot. Never charges much. Even lets me use his equipment to reline e brakes.

I went in and told him about this car and he told me he'd overhauled a 49 Plymouth motor about 4 years ago. Guy left a deposit to do it and never came back. If I wanted it, I could have it. No charge!

Well, hell yes!

Looks like the old girl will travel again.

Edited by austinsailor
  • Like 1

Not sure everyone agrees I'm such a good guy, but it is what it is!

It is a great deal, but it points out the poor financial situation of fixing up our old cars. Even with a solid car and a new motor, it still needs tires ($300 - $400?), brakes ($200 to $400), upholstery ($300 to over $1000? Depending on who does it) paint ( at least $200, probably $500). What will I have? A $1000 car!

You gotta love them, they won't make you rich.