Robert's Armrests on a 52?

Jeff, I think it's well established that you can make anything work.

Hank  :)

Hmmm......not exactly sure how to take that one?  I guess :)  or :P  depending on where you were coming from.

Ok so my new armrest's showed up. They look a lot like the ones Davin got. The hole spacing on these green ones labeled 53 Plymouth is at 5 3/4" C-C

At least they are metal. Since they are not the stock item I think I am going to use Allen bolts to mount them in place. :D

Jeff

Hmmm......not exactly sure how to take that one?  I guess :)  or :P  depending on where you were coming from.

Ok so my new armrest's showed up. They look a lot like the ones Davin got. The hole spacing on these green ones labeled 53 Plymouth is at 5 3/4" C-C

At least they are metal. Since they are not the stock item I think I am going to use Allen bolts to mount them in place. :D

Jeff

Just meant that like the rest of us, during your rebuild you've had to solve a few problems that took some ingenuity.

I had a couple of arm rests turn up in the post today (see attached photos). I found it interesting that the metal mounting bases were painted in accordance with the arm rest color (red with red and brown with brown). I am not sure what these arm rests come off, but I presume an older vehicle than my 52 truck because of the metal mounting bases. The measurement between mounting holes is almost spot on 6 inches. I haven't seen mounting holes in any of the Oz truck doors that I have come across yet. I may end up refurbishing both of them (brown) and eventually installing them in my 52 truck.

Hey Davin;

;) I found a similar looking pair on Ebay that I am waiting for now. Hopefully they can be made to work.

Jeff

Jeff and Desotodav , I installed arm rests that look just like those in Desotodav's post . I got them from the boneyard from an early 50's mopar car . As I only had sheet metal to mount them to in my 1941 truck , I bought an inexpensive thread inserting tool from Harbor Freight . The thread inserts were for 1/4 inch coarse thread bolts and made from aluminum . They have been working fine . The tool set comes with various sizes of inserts , 1/4 inch diameter bolt hole was the largest .  

Thanks Jerry. I'll have to look into a thread inserting tool.

There is an arm rest listed on Ebay at present which is advertised as 40-49 DPCD arm rest... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1940-1941-1942-1946-1947-1948-1949-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-DE-SOTO-ARM-REST-/111214345096?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e4e43b88&_uhb=1 . It looks similar (but not a perfect match) to the ones that I bought. Maybe your theory of mine coming from a 50's car is correct. At any rate, I'm happy that they are metal.

post-3915-0-13951100-1384896769_thumb.jpg

Jeff and Desotodav , I installed arm rests that look just like those in Desotodav's post . I got them from the boneyard from an early 50's mopar car . As I only had sheet metal to mount them to in my 1941 truck , I bought an inexpensive thread inserting tool from Harbor Freight . The thread inserts were for 1/4 inch coarse thread bolts and made from aluminum . They have been working fine . The tool set comes with various sizes of inserts , 1/4 inch diameter bolt hole was the largest .  

Hi Jerry;

I may just go that route to mount the armrests I got. I have access to one of those tools. The one I have used will go up to 5/16" inserts which I found were  available from McMaster -Carr. These are actually a pretty handy tool to have. Lot's of uses for this type fastener system. Works kinda like a large pop riveter. Inserting the 5/16" inserts is a two handed operation for sure. :)

I am in the process of refinishing the arm rests now. The rubber pads under the upholstery were in amazingly good condition.....still very resilient. Once I get them done I will take a hard look at mounting them. They may wind up in a slightly different position than the stock ones would but I can live with that.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys;

Evolved is a good way to describe this truck. I guess my way of looking at this whole project has been to consider what I might have done to it over the years if I had it since new.

It is clean and comfy now. Arm rest is in the perfect location for those times when we actually have to drive with the windows up.

Just have a few details to finish now .... get the front end alignment checked over carefully and then it will be ready to go back to work.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your truck is looking GREAT !!  Hope to see it in person some day cruising the PCH soon.

Jeff,

It certainly is beautiful ! More knobs than a airplane ! Are you driving it ? Free Pastrami sandwich if you feel like driving to Torrance for your alignment,  We have a place here Johnson's Alignment that does not use 18 year olds with computers to align your 60 year old truck if you are interested.  Everything is done by hand each corner is weighted and it would not be a surprise to see a full race only Porsche in the bay next to your truck. It's a three generation family business in the Hot Rod heartland of Southern California. 

• Like 1

Thanks Guy's;

I like it. It is nice and bright and cheerful inside. Should be really great out on the road.

Mark. Did you notice the vent covers I added to the heater? They stop the flow of air from exiting at the screened openings. I did that to boost the air flow into the defroster ducts and it does help. Fog can be really bad here at times and about all that helps is a good defroster and RainX.

Hank;

Not yet. Need to get the title straightened out and get it registered. We have a good shop in Mission Viejo that is very familiar with solid axle front ends. The owner is best friends with one of my buddies. I got a couple of things to get sorted......like a bad running light switch :( and finishing my battery lock out installation and then it will be ready to get the front end checked out. Not long now......Hey it hasn't even been two years. :lol:

Jeff

Jeff,

When you say "bad running light switch" do you mean the main headlight switch ? What I did with mine was had Astro Electric, a local shop, bead blast the contacts. I didn't have to, but you can take the switch apart. The switch came out of the cabinet with copper that looked like copper not tarnished green crud and has worked perfectly ever since. (simple inexpensive fix)

yah, I saw that and twas thinking WTH did he do to my nice heater!  

:lol: Those covers are just formed aluminum and stuck on. No permanent damage to the heater. Call it a California mod.

Oh yah I am used to the WTH reaction in general......I get it all the time. :D Wouldn't be me if I didn't get it.

Jeff

Jeff,

When you say "bad running light switch" do you mean the main headlight switch ? What I did with mine was had Astro Electric, a local shop, bead blast the contacts. I didn't have to, but you can take the switch apart. The switch came out of the cabinet with copper that looked like copper not tarnished green crud and has worked perfectly ever since. (simple inexpensive fix)

Hank;

I have a separate switch for the extra lights on the cab and rear bumper. It is brand new but something inside failed and it won't shut off.......hecho in mexico crap. To be honest it never felt right.The panel on the left of the steering wheel has 4 switches.......3 are nice Cole Hersee items and the fourth is a sort of wanna be look alike......guess which one failed?

Jeff