230 Swap Starter Issues In A P-15

Colopopo

I have search relentlessly and haven't found the exact answer. Allow me to introduce my self, my name is Nick and I'm in Colorado. Recently picked up a 1948 special deluxe sedan. I love the car I have redone most of the interior and pulled the original 218 that was stuck. Picked up a 230 and transmission for $200. The engine had a broken ring land, replaced the piston honed re ringed and new bearings. I used the 230 4 bolt fly wheel. My problem now is the starter is having issues meshing with the flywheel. I have the starter that came with the engine but it is a foot operated stater and won't work in my car. The 218 starter doesn't have the length to contact the flywheel. So my real question is will a 230 car starter fix my problems? If so I can't find one to save my life. Napa, car quest, no one carries any remanufactued units. Anyone have any leads?? I appreciate this site and all the help it has to offer!

Thanks Nick

Think your going to need a passenger car 230 flywheel to get the correct offset for the starter. Then flywheel hubs have different amounts of relief to correctly position the flywheel. Hollanders Interchange manual confirms '46-'55 Dodge and Plymouth use the same starter and they have different flywheels.  

The Crank shaft flange for the 230 is a bit thicker than the 218.  And though the flywheel for the 218 will fit, it is that much further away from the starter.

I did a similar swap and since my 218 engine still wears its flywheel, I must have used the flywheel from the 230 for the install.  If you have he 230 flywheel you may see that where it mounts to the flange it might be machined to accommodate the different thickness of the flange in order to index it properly to the starter.  One member here had his bellhousing machined to bring the starter in closer to the flywheel.  But that would be difficult to do with the bell in the car.  I wonder if there may be enough meat on the starter body to machine the starter to gain a bit if you do not find a swap of flywheel is necessary or something you want to under take.

Edited by greg g

The flanges are approximately the same thickness on the 218 and the 230+ engines, the difference is in the amount that the flange projects past the face of the block; 1"+/-  for the 201-208-218 (US engines) and 1.1875" +/-  for everything else.

Either use the correct flywheel for the crankshaft or modify the bell as shown in the photos. Either way, make a note somewhere as to what/why.

Is this a late  54 or later Plymouth 230 ? those had a fly wheel .... if it were a Dodge 230 the  flywheel would be attached to the fluid drive unit ?  U can`t bolt a F.D. Transmisson to a 218 with a 4 hole crank even if u drill 4 more holes it will be to close to the back of the engine , u could make a spacer to go between the 2 to make up the difference.     i installed in my 49 PLymouth Woodie  a 54 Plymouth 230 with the 230 fly wheel with a standard 3 speed transmission  no problems .    but when you use a 218 fly wheel on a dodge 230 with a standard non F.D. transmission the starter which are all the same " i have a few dozen of them ' will not reach , it will have to have surgery . r we confused yet ?

• 2 weeks later...

Confused, yes. I'm having to deal with the similar issue at the moment. I have a 39 D11 with a toasted engine. I found a 230 donor from a 1950 truck to turn my 218 into a 230. The flywheel ring gear from the 230 needs to be replaced and I want to use my original starter. What should I do? Do I try to find a 218 flywheel ring gear, will it fit or do I go with a direct 230 replacement and do I need to do any fabing to get it to work.

I could also use a lead on finding the ring gear.

As far as I know the difference between 218 and 230 is the offset. The flywheel ring gear from your 218 should fit onto the 230.

True if they have the same size clutch. Different part number for the 11" clutch than the standard clutch. If both have the 11"  clutch they are a straight swap also. 

True if they have the same size clutch. Different part number for the 11" clutch than the standard clutch. If both have the 11"  clutch they are a straight swap also. 

Interesting. Does the 11" clutch flywheel have a bigger circumference? If not I wonder why the clutch plays into the ring gear being different.

Interesting. Does the 11" clutch flywheel have a bigger circumference? If not I wonder why the clutch plays into the ring gear being different.

I don't think so. As Jim Y. noted usually they are drilled for both clutch sizes. Don't know why they have different part numbers, maybe thickness is slightly different? 

• 1 month later...

Okay I got the correct 218 ring-gear for the 1950 truck 230 flywheel but the clutch diameter is larger than 218 clutch.

Is the spine for the 230 truck the same as the 218 d11?

Is there a Napa part #?

Is it okay to only use four bolts to secure it to the crank as that is all I have from the 218?

Okay I got the correct 218 ring-gear for the 1950 truck 230 flywheel but the clutch diameter is larger than 218 clutch.

Is the spine for the 230 truck the same as the 218 d11?

Is there a Napa part #?

Is it okay to only use four bolts to secure it to the crank as that is all I have from the 218?

4 bolts is fine but I do suggest you use bolts with enough shoulder to insure that the shoulder covers the sheer point and not threads. Pictured is what I used.

DCbolts2.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Don, I'm having to do the same thing to my bell housing, I'm actually bringing to the shop tomorrow to get a price, the 1st guy I went to didn't seem to know what he was doing, my questions to you if you don't mind, do you recall the depth yours was actually milled and do you recall what you were charged? Thanks- Jarv

Hi Don, I'm having to do the same thing to my bell housing, I'm actually bringing to the shop tomorrow to get a price, the 1st guy I went to didn't seem to know what he was doing, my questions to you if you don't mind, do you recall the depth yours was actually milled and do you recall what you were charged? Thanks- Jarv

Suggest you measure the difference in the crankshaft flange and remove the same amount from the starter mounting boss. My numbers may differ from yours so you are better off to take your own measurements.