Hello all,

I have a '50  B2B, Yesterday I found out I could not get into first gear or reverse. For some unknown reason the Linkage/Pivot point spot welded to the steering column was torn off. I tried to make a clamp to hold it in place or at least in the same area. The clamp did not hold very well or stop the linkage from moving around. I opened the floor transmission panel to see if I could engage the linkage to "force" the transmission into reverse.With much work and jiggling I was able to get the truck to back up, I have been able to take off in second gear but I am afraid of burning out the clutch out and causing a new headache. I have a stock flat head six engine, and was driving it daily. I was not happy with the performance/speed on the freeway or the gas mileage, so a different rear end and transmission maybe in the future anyway. I love/hate driving the truck and the looks I get on the road , I am not looking to get rid, junk of sale the truck.

So I guess my questions to the group are :

1.  Is there an adapter to convert the column shift to a floor shifter ?

2.  Is there straight across swap automatic transmission I can do and what is it ?

3.  Is it better to replace the steering column (if I can find one) and run it

4.  Anybody know of a good transmission shop in So Cal ( LA area) ?

5.  Anybody ever have this happen to them and if so, what did they do?

6.  Is there a 4 speed transmission that will bolt up to my engine (stock) without much hassle ?

Thanks all in advance, this forum has been a great wealth of information and advice. I have gotten so much help in reviewing all the posts.

how much of this work are you planning to do yourself or are you gathering info so to speculate the cost involved if farmed out?  your request for a tranny shop in your area leads me to believe they will be doing the work...lot of shops can do these mods..have the parts sources in front of them, maybe know the man hours and give you  a good quote for upgrade....most DIY's have a general idea of the involvement and what they will need up front..there are a number of threads that cover about every aspect of your question and a search using key words will get you up to speed quickly...

Thanks for the quick replies, YES  This is what I was looking for.  I will look for a '52 or later truck transmission and price it. 

I have replaced a few clutches and removed/replaced the transmissions and swapped out a few engine/tranny sets, but never have tried to marry a non mated engine and transmission. I will search out more on the files on what others have done and see if I can do it and what it takes. If I have to go to the local Transmission shop or a salvage yard is a better source. Most of the " Pick a Part "  auto junk yards have limited " Vintage" supply.

Kevin-are you sure about the transmission swap?  I have a 4 spd from a 52 parts truck that I was going to put in my 49 1 ton, but the mounting ears are completely different.  To put this trans into my truck requires a bellhousing swap which is why I haven't done it.  Mike

Kevin-are you sure about the transmission swap?  I have a 4 spd from a 52 parts truck that I was going to put in my 49 1 ton, but the mounting ears are completely different.  To put this trans into my truck requires a bellhousing swap which is why I haven't done it.  Mike

I agree when we did this swap between a 40 plymouth and a 46 dodge we had to swap the bellhousings too. The bosses are there for either 3spd or 4 but only 1 was drilled.

It's in the truck now. :)

I didn't do anything but swap the parking brake over.

Did you have 2 sets of holes? If the bellhousing was out it would be pretty easy to mark drill and tap for the opposite trans. I drilled a 3spd one for a T5 5spd without too much difficulty.

You will find that the rear E-brake and U-joint yokes drum will be different. The U-joint yokes which are included as part of the drum for early and late trucks are all different. Just be aware of this when you try to find a 4 speed trans. Driveshaft lengths are different for 3 speed and 4 speed transmissions too. Best to find the whole package out of a B-108"WB truck-   IE complete 4spd trans, parking brake cable. Trans access cover with the proper cut hole in it and driveshaft of proper length out of a 108" WB 1/2 through 3/4ton PU with the same type style U-joints as in your truck. Then it should all bolt in. As for the bell housing I think sometimes there already is a drilled and tapped hole for the 4 speeds. If not I think the boss is there ready to drill and tap. You need to check on that.

Bob

An adaptor for an automatic is available from a guy in Washington.  I am having one installed in my 49 B1B so my wife can drive it.  There are also adaptors for modern manual transmissions, I have noticed that info posted elsewhere on this forum.  It will take a little research but keep checking older post on this forum and you should be able to find it.  Best of luck in your project.  I had a similar situation with another 49 B1B and I got some heavy duty rivets to reattach the "knuckle" at the top of the steering column.  The problem was compounded by a bad bearing in the slider gear lever, I ended up putting a 47 3 speed floor shift in that truck and it worked great for me.

Here is some adaptor info.

Quality Engineered Components: Quality Engineered Components has an adapter for the Late Torqueflight to flat 6 & 8 inliners. The adapter will mount the small block 904/A500 or the 727/A518 as well as the small block manual bellhousing. email to: bacchus_lane@yahoo.com phone inquiries to 888-Hemi-Parts (888-436-4727) M-F, 0700-1700hrs.
No special parts or odd-ball modifications, just nuts and bolts and all MOPAR.

This guy knows his stuff, and is seriously all Mopar. This is hands down the best and simplest adapter to do the job, period! And it's cheap by comparison to anything else!!!     

This is a copy of a post by OldDaddy.     

Thanks for the information about the adapter plate, I have talked to a few salvage yards and just get blank looks and no help. I got a lead on a shop I plan on checking out, They do rear end gear swaps, I've been by his shop and there are 6 long term projects going on there and 4 or 5 in his bays being worked on. All appear to be late 40's thru 60's, His second in command suggested a "Hurst" Shifter adapter, but the main man was out for the day. A return visit is planed today.I don't mind the 3 speed and would rather find a " Top plate floor shifter " swap  out and be back on the road with no other modifications or messing with drive shafts mounts or adapter plates for new transmissions. If anybody has a spare or knows were one could be sourced I would really appreciate any help or more information.  Thanks for all the help, This Group is GREAT and the wealth of information is a wonderful source of support for us " New " owners of these excellent vintage trucks, Thanks again

I had a chance to swing by the Transmission place this morning. The owner was there and we chatted  about how he could repair the column pivot that had broken off. Turns out he is more of a " Ford / Chevy " Guy but he'd give it a shot. " bout $ 150.00 " he says. I showed him the Transmission linkage on the top and he said he had a transmission that had the same band brake as mine.We went around the side and amongst the torn up carcass of many assorted transmissions was this Beauty. He thinks it is the same transmission as mine, with a stick shift. Can anybody tell from the pictures? I think the bolt pattern is the same as mine (4), the drain plug at the back on the bottom side, the Band brake and U joint yoke appear the same. No idea if the top plate will swap over or even if it's a 4 speed or a 3 speed. Would it matter if it's a 4 speed and I want to swap top plates with my 3 speed? I will post the pictures I took and see what you all think, Thanks a lot for any and all help in keeping 'ole  Bessie on the road and back in the wind.

post-6074-0-55275600-1374030899_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-06713400-1374030939_thumb.jpg

That looks right! If it's good? Have him pull the top off and look at it. It is a B2 I think because of the overhang and E-brake cable. Make sure the U-joint and yoke will be the same even though you could swap em!

Thats some good luck ;)

If the one you found doesn't work out pretty sure I have a syncro 3 speed up in Santa Barbara.  PM if your interested and I will see if I can find it and get you a price. 

From the pics"(mounting ears) it looks just like the spare 3 spd I have from a late 30's Dodge.  It looks like the shift tower is slightly forward of the one in my 49, but hopefully it will fit. I'd have him pull the top off and make check out what the inside looks like before you try to do the swap.  If it fits, I think you may have to heat and bend the shift lever to keep it from hitting the bottom of the dash when in rev and 2nd.  Let us know how the swap goes.   Mike

Thanks all for the input and information, I will swing by this morning with my tape measure and see if the top plate measures the same with the same bolt pattern. He has not mentioned price for the whole transmission, I am not sure if he will part it out and just sell me top plate and shifter ( if it fits ) or make me buy it all. I guess it all depends what he will sell and how much he wants. Has anybody ever just swapped out the top plates before? Looks pretty straight forward, the only problem I see is where the finger from the stick goes verse how the linkage hook up and move the gears around.I see what he says today and what he will charge to install and aline the top plate with the stick shift. More later, Thanks again. Rod

• 1 month later...

Well, 'Ole Bessie is still on the road with a busted 3 speed column shift set up. We finally got some time to crawl under her and  see just what is going on. GT was kind enough to sell me and  bring me down a 1 ton 3 speed transmission that he had up in Santa Barbara. A BIG Thank you for that ! We were able to pull the top cover off the installed transmission Column shift ), Remove the top cover off the "spare transmission" ( Floor shift ) and put them side by side to swap over.  NO GO !!!   The 1/2 ton shifter fork is wider and deeper then the 1 ton,  the shift linkage for the 1 ton appears to be longer too. So either I have to " Fix " the column shift or Swap the two.

It looks like the "E" brake drum is bigger on the 1 ton but the flange for the front U joints bolt pattern looks close, is it the same or will that cause me problems? The bolt pattern on the bell housing to the transmission looks the same, is it ? The Main Shaft coming out of the 1 ton measures out at 3/4 inch. I have a '50 B2B 218 Ci engine, does anybody know if the pilot bushing is that big ? Does anybody know what the size is of a 3 speed column shift main shaft? I know the best thing to do is tear her down, replace the friction disk,throw out and pilot bearings but I am trying to do this on the cheap and keep her on the road for now.

I love the truck and enjoy the thrills she gives me every time we head out. My wife has been in more tow trucks in the past 3 months with this new project then she has been in the past 10 years with my other toys, and she knows I'll get it fixed and figured out soon. Thank you for all the GREAT information and sources of parts this forum and members have to offer. With out your help I would have to think about another manufacture's product to restore and work on and what fun would that be ?

Thanks again for all the help and info,

Rod

I love the truck and want to keep her running as stock as I can