Engine # Or Vin

swan06

Good Morning,

I just joined the site last week as I picked up the start of a new project, a 1953 truck. My question is I recieved a title for the truck, but the cab has no ID tag and no frame. All I have is the cab, fenders (front clip), hood and box.  I have done some research on the number on the title and have come to the conclusion it is not the VIN but possibly the enigne #. Is this possible and if so can I still title this truck with the number on the title? If I buy a new cab ID tag I would not be able to put a VIN on it as I believe I only have the engine ID. What do you folks suggest I do/ handle this situation. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you in advance!!

Greg     

post-5935-0-13564200-1364828755.jpg

If your number starts with "T308...", or something like that, then they used they engine number to register the truck when new. As I understand it that happened often back in the day. I've never fully understood why. However, here in the Badger State you can just mail in the registration with the valid title you have without any verification needed. Then you'll get a new title for the truck and you can build it however you like. However, I suggest that you make a photocopy of the title before sending it in, and keep that copy handy. When I sent in the Iowa title to register my truck they returned my new title and registration with the Iowa title # as the truck's VIN. I was able to take my photocopy into the DMV office, with the new title, and they made the correction and issued me a new, correct, title.The serial # tag was missing on my truck too, but I was able to verify the S/N on the frame. I still don't have a S/N tag on the A-pillar, but I have a valid title and registration and I drive it all over the place.  

By the way, what part of central WI are you in? If you don't want to make it public you can send me a private message. I like to keep track of my Cheesehead bretheren.

Merle

I do not understand why they registered trucks with the engine number either, as it was common practice to replace the entire engine with a reconditioned engine when they were worn out.  I would not worry about titling the truck until it is road worthy, as the DMV might want to perform some sort of inspection to verify the vehicle's information.  :cool:

Mine was originally registered with the engine number too.  Pittsville ( I think) claims to be the geographic center of WI.  Anywhere close?

That engine Vin # is also stamped into the LF frame horn. So it is a permanent number for the autorities to use even if the engine has been changed.

Bob

The previous owner of my truck had it titled under the engine number and he had no problems, also the engine was not original it was out of a '52 or '53 (cant remember) Plymouth car. My truck was also missing all the ID tags and the stamped number on the frame horn is barely visible.

Good morning and thank all of you, WOW! What great response to my question. I really appreciate all the help on this. The only other query if have then is can the ID tag be put on the cab where it belongs with no real VIN #? I don't plan to use a '53 frame so I would not have a factory VIN.

Some of you asked where in Wisconsin I am, if you look at a WI map and find Stevens Point, I work in Almond 20 miles south of Point and live in Plover. I was an auto tech in my own shop for 22 years and decided to get out of the public service industry. An old friend of mine has a collection of cars and trucks from 1928 on up and wants them restored. So he set me up in a shop and here I am living my dream of working strickly on old metal. I love it!

Thanks again to all of you, my first post could not have been any better recieved.       

My 49 was reissued a title in WA when the engine was changed in 58 or 63. So it's titled to a 1948 P15 car engine. I do have my A pillar tag, so when I get it titled here in TN I'll have it under its actual serial number. Easy to do here, I've already got the form. Have to do the same thing on one of my motorcycles, as 1963 bikes weren't titled, especially ones that had track modifications.