P15 Build Sheet

Oldguy48

I just received Chrysler's reply to my request for a "Build Sheet" for my P15.  Unfortunately, the historical data was transferred to microfilm many years ago, and the print-outs they provide are very difficult to read.  I was very surprised, however, to find that the dealer that sold it was a "Central Motors, Inc." of Jefferson, IA.  The original color was "Kenwood Green", which apparently was a dark green.  The car had been repainted a light green years ago, but there was evidence of the original paint present.  I expected to find that it originally came from Pennsylvania.  A Google search failed to find any information on that dealer.

Wayne

You'll probably have to do for "Central Motors" what I might end up having to do for "Lang Mtrs" in Rochester, NY: Find local newspaper archives for the area and go through the issues printed around the time your car was new looking for ads by the dealer or news articles about them.

Greg,

It took about a month for their reply.  Based on the print quality, not sure it's worth it except for the build record certificate.  The pic of the build card is  what appears to be an IBM punch card that was transferred to microfilm, and the resolution is poor.  I'm not sure how to decipher the build card.  Maybe if I could do that, it would mean more to me. If I can figure out how to scan it into the computer, I'll post a pic.

Wayne

I tried to scan the pic and upload it to post it, but got a message that the file was too big.  I get frustrated with this computer stuff. Sometimes I think my computer just doesn't like me.  Maybe my 8 year old grandson can show me what to do. :P

Wayne

Had a very satisfactory experience myself. I thinks it worth the $45 to have e history of your car. Take a look at my thread for details on what I went through, and how Chrysler heritage made good.

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/topic/31595-got-my-chrysler-research-in-the-mail-today/?hl=%2Bmail+%2Btoday

I went to our local public library and looked at the R L Polk city directory for 1947.  In it was a half page ad for this Joplin 

dealership.   By coincidence the son of one partner, Mr. Jardon, is in my Sunday school class at church.  I've asked him

if he had any dealership memorabilia and he says not.  I guess he just wasn't much interested in the car business as

he went on to become a banker and attorney. 

Anyway, this is the ad I had them make me a copy of.....think they charged 50 cents. 

post-22-0-17652100-1361589788_thumb.jpg

Then.......at a later date I was over in Kansas visiting with a fellow who had some old cars.........and went into his garage

where he had a 1955 Plymouth with something like 13,000 miles on it.  In the trunk were a couple manuals and the

item below.  Dealer license plate topper.  Of course he didn't want to sell it, wanted to keep it with his car.  So all I

could do was take a picture.  In all my travels around here, I've not run onto another such topper. 

post-22-0-22499600-1361592037_thumb.jpg

No......my car was NOT sold by this dealer, as far as I know.  I have no idea where it was initially sold, but was built in

Detroit.  The reason I haven't sent in to Chrysler Historical is there is some wrong information on the title I received

from the salvage guy where I bought the car.  The history folks now want a copy of your title, and if they look up

based on the number found there they will not get the right car.  I have found the correct original number that is

stamped into the frame, so I know what that is since the original engine is long gone. 

I know the car was Sumac Red with maroon and grey interior when new.....it had 16 inch wheels......is a 1947 model.

Had a radio, a clock and a lighter....plus dual heaters.   Pretty sure only the passenger side heater was original to

the car as the one on the driver's side did not match it.  I decided that since the car is mainly driven in fairly warm

weather, one heater would be adequate. 

So, since it doesn't appear to be critical where the car really came from, (even tho it would be interesting to know),

I decided to adopt the local dealership.  Of course, at a show, nobody really pays much attention to it's origin

anyway.  They just see what's sitting there before them. 

The car looked like this when I got it in 1973.

post-22-0-67553100-1361649210_thumb.jpg

history based on title...if the car was sold in Georgia it never had a title then..it will NEVER get a title today...so we in the wind if their requirement is a title..cannot see how this is valid as many states never issued titles in the ld day..I think GA was first title in 62..cars prior to that will never get a title..even if you bring the car in from a titled state...

in Gerogia..you got your registration...you got your bill of sale..that is all on the old cars..if you bought it from out of state and it was a titled vehicle..you got the title transferred to you on the back of the title but that is it..the title is just cancelled paper work..you will not get it in your name this state prior to 62..Ihave hthose who have argued that..and guess what..they send the title off anyway..get their money taken their title is not returned adn you a letter stating not able to tilte this state as it is prior to our titling years..

scenario 2...Leo buys a 66 model with GA title...he goes to register it..DMV cleark says you can save 18.00 by not getting the title as not needed to reigister the car..so they opt not to get the title..later he sells the car..the title is useless..it cannot ever be retitled in Georgia as it now has a broken chain..so as a consulation prise you get bill sale..title as transferred to the other person just for a framing art...and you apply for tag by bill of sale.  You sell the car out of state that requires a title..bill of sale...copy of current or past registeration in your name  if never registered..just bill of sale..recisprosity is the case here..other states have to honor Georgia DMV laws..they kick fume and fuss but they do come around when you quote Ga law to them..

Well, I've tried numerous times to upload a pic of the IBM punch card/microfilm image I received from Chrysler for my P15 build sheet.  Regardless of what I try, I get a message that the file is too large. I searched for methods to reduce the file size, and thought I had been successful, but no...the computer genie says "no, no, no".  So, at this point...the heck with it.  I thought it would be of interest to some here, but I'm tired of fighting with this blasted computer/website to produce an image.  I'll admit, that I'm not very computer-savvy, but I'm waving the white flag of surrender here.  Maybe someone else can accomplish what I've failed to do.  Aaaargh!

Wayne

If you want email it to me and I will upload it to my photobucket acct and post it.

Wayne took me up on my offer and here is his build record. 

img001_crop2.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

I just received Chrysler's reply to my request for a "Build Sheet" for my P15.  Unfortunately, the historical data was transferred to microfilm many years ago, and the print-outs they provide are very difficult to read.  I was very surprised, however, to find that the dealer that sold it was a "Central Motors, Inc." of Jefferson, IA.  The original color was "Kenwood Green", which apparently was a dark green.  The car had been repainted a light green years ago, but there was evidence of the original paint present.  I expected to find that it originally came from Pennsylvania.  A Google search failed to find any information on that dealer.

Wayne

Wayne,

How long did it take from the time you ordered your build sheet to when you received it in the mail?  Just curious because I may be going down this route soon.

Thanks,

Jon